zack7
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Assess the extent to which the decision to live in tectonically active locations is determined by economic factors (33)
I'm using PEACE structure, how would you approach this, e.g. what points would you make?
abbbbbb.
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by zack7)
Assess the extent to which the decision to live in tectonically active locations is determined by economic factors (33)
I'm using PEACE structure, how would you approach this, e.g. what points would you make?
First off, I would start off with an introduction. define the key words and introduce your case studies.

I use PEECAL, similar to your structure.
I will use one of my case studies as an example (Indonesia, Mount Merapi).
Point : To an extent economic factors determines whether people live in tectonically active areas in Indonesia.
Evidence : Population pressure in Indonesia, caused 3/4 of people to live near tectonically active locations.
Explanation : Meant housing has become not affordable, people forced to live in areas near volcanoes. (sure you can add more analysis than this)
C A (counter argument) : However, could be argued that economic factors are not the main influence to why people live near tectonically active locations (volcanoes in this case). Could be due to emotional attachment, i.e. generations of family lived here, moving away means separating from culture.
L (link) : This shows that economics factors do not determine whether people live near tectonically active locations (say why).

Other economic:
- Jobs, i.e. tourism, mount kilauea over 2 million tourists visit the volcano every year.
- Fertile soil, great for farming, generates an income

Other reasons for non economic:
- Culture, i.e. in Indonesia and Japan, volcanoes have spiritual meanings, make locals feel "happy"
- Geothermal energy
- Maybe a lot of tectonic activity here regularly. i.e. Japan hundreds of earthquakes a day, they are not dangerous. Locals willing to take the risk.
- development of country, people may believe that the country is well prepared so willing to live near volcanoes/earthquake prone areas, as they think they will be rescued.

Hope this makes sense, if you need any more help just let me know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (25)
5.59%
Uncertainty around my education (51)
11.41%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (53)
11.86%
Lack of purpose or motivation (58)
12.98%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (24)
5.37%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (20)
4.47%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (45)
10.07%
Financial worries (28)
6.26%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (19)
4.25%
Exposure to negative news/social media (30)
6.71%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
3.13%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (43)
9.62%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (37)
8.28%

Watched Threads