Can you get expelled from uni for plagiarism?

Watch this thread
anaindiemood
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m currently a first year biomedical science student and I’m literally petrified after being accused of plagiarism. I recently submitted my first laboratory report which has been flagged as plagiarism in the intro section. I genuinely didn’t expect this as although I sought information from external sources I did reference everything and put things into my own words. The university have said because this is my first noted act of plagiarism there will be no disciplinary action however I’m now concerned about some other work I’ve recently submitted which may also be classed as plagiarised as I went about the referencing and rewording in a similar way to the lab report. This is on my part a lack of understanding as to what is classed as plagiarism and what is not so I’m going to brush up on the universities definition of plagiarism however in the meantime I’m so scared that if I get a second accusation of plagiarism I’m going to get expelled?? Anyone any advice??
Zuvio
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by anaindiemood)
I’m currently a first year biomedical science student and I’m literally petrified after being accused of plagiarism. I recently submitted my first laboratory report which has been flagged as plagiarism in the intro section. I genuinely didn’t expect this as although I sought information from external sources I did reference everything and put things into my own words. The university have said because this is my first noted act of plagiarism there will be no disciplinary action however I’m now concerned about some other work I’ve recently submitted which may also be classed as plagiarised as I went about the referencing and rewording in a similar way to the lab report. This is on my part a lack of understanding as to what is classed as plagiarism and what is not so I’m going to brush up on the universities definition of plagiarism however in the meantime I’m so scared that if I get a second accusation of plagiarism I’m going to get expelled?? Anyone any advice??
I would ask why it got classed as plagiarism, and ask them to explain how to avoid it in the future.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Yes, you can be expelled for plagiarism, but usually not for a first offence. Typically it will be as a last resort after multiple offences. But I have failed assignments because of plagiarism.

But you need to learn ASAP what plagiarism is. Do you understand why your first assignment was plagiarism? If not, speak to the marker or a personal or academic tutor and find out.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
A little tip: when you are taking info from external sources try to use Synonyms and changing the word order together....that will limit your chances of being accused of plagiarism.
iNeed2p
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Explain it detailed in your own words and give at-least 2 examples any other assignments you're going to submit in the future. Avoid 2 sentences explaining only. Write at-least 2 paragraph for explaining it if you're aiming for higher grade.
chazwomaq
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
A little tip: when you are taking info from external sources try to use Synonyms and changing the word order together....that will limit your chances of being accused of plagiarism.
No! This is terrible advice*. This is typical of the plagiarism I prosecute: students think that swapping out someone else's words makes it OK. Plagiarism is passing off someone else's work as your own. You need to read others sources, but then write your own argument in your own words. If you have to use someone else's words you must use quotation marks and reference.

*Unless my sarcasm detector has failed.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
if it makes you feel better, plagiarism is common in first year. i know this because i had a meeting with one of my professors (unrelated issue) and when i walked through the door i saw he was busy checking papers. i said 'whatcha doing?'. he said 'checking for plagiarism; it's common in first years'.

there's no point in worrying about what you've already submitted, but you seriously need to learn how to reference going forward. if you've summarised someone else's argument, you need a reference. if you're using a direct quote you need to put it in quotation marks and include a reference. basically if it's someone else's idea and not yours you need a reference. if you're unsure, reference it. in a typical essay i submit i have a reference at least for every three sentences.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
Just a tip, never let anyone else see your work even if you are just trying to help. This is collusion and can attract a penalty regardless of intent. I tried to help a friend who was struggling, thought I could trust them but turns out no. I was accused of plagiarism because they submitted their work which had high similarity to what I had shown them a few hours earlier than I did.
Cote1
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 11 months ago
Don't worry. Learn exactly what it is. Speak to your tutors. Be as open as possible. Contact the union so you have support. Just learn from it, going forward.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Just a tip, never let anyone else see your work even if you are just trying to help. This is collusion and can attract a penalty regardless of intent. I tried to help a friend who was struggling, thought I could trust them but turns out no. I was accused of plagiarism because they submitted their work which had high similarity to what I had shown them a few hours earlier than I did.
Yep was a victim of this in collage luckily the guy who copied my work had an attack of conscience and owned up )everybody knew it was him anyway.)
Zuco19
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jonathanemptage)
Yep was a victim of this in collage luckily the guy who copied my work had an attack of conscience and owned up )everybody knew it was him anyway.)
What happened when he owned up
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Zuco19)
What happened when he owned up
I was told he had owned up and I was exonerated I think he got a zero or was made to redo the assignment capped to a pass and no more was said about it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (223)
42.16%
The paper was reasonable (227)
42.91%
Not feeling great about that exam... (48)
9.07%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
5.86%

Watched Threads