EchoesAct3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
So I take Computer Science as an A level and I'm struggling with it. I'm completely fine with the theory aspect, but what I find hard to grasp is the programming part. My teacher gives us programming homework every week and I don't submit anything. I can only make basic programs, when I look my classmates programs it looks like gibberish. It makes me think of how many functions they've used that I can't comprehend. I'm making this post to ask, how can I get better? I'm willing to put in the effort in because I don't want to fail this course.
Just so you know I'm really bad, so please help.
aspire_astronaut
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by EchoesAct3)
So I take Computer Science as an A level and I'm struggling with it. I'm completely fine with the theory aspect, but what I find hard to grasp is the programming part. My teacher gives us programming homework every week and I don't submit anything. I can only make basic programs, when I look my classmates programs it looks like gibberish. It makes me think of how many functions they've used that I can't comprehend. I'm making this post to ask, how can I get better? I'm willing to put in the effort in because I don't want to fail this course.
Hey, I do Comp Sci as well! What programming language do you use?
For python (that's what I code in, although I guess this applies to other languages), the best advice I can give is to go right back to the basics to make sure you understand them, and then to slowly build back up. Maybe try some GCSE programming questions, and see if its the wording of the question that's confusing or if its the actual coding part. For the A-level programming questions (I think it's paper 2 if you do AQA), try to break the program down into really simple components and solve each one - you'll get some marks even if you've only solved a bit of it, and complex looking programs don't always work better than simple ones. Try to submit something, even if it doesn't work/you think it's too basic, just to show your teacher that you're willing to put the effort in.

Also - just wondering, what exam board do you do? Only because there's a pretty big coding project if you do AQA so you'll want to make sure that your coding basics are strong now before you start it.
Hope this helps!
EchoesAct3
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspire_astronaut)
Hey, I do Comp Sci as well! What programming language do you use?
For python (that's what I code in, although I guess this applies to other languages), the best advice I can give is to go right back to the basics to make sure you understand them, and then to slowly build back up. Maybe try some GCSE programming questions, and see if its the wording of the question that's confusing or if its the actual coding part. For the A-level programming questions (I think it's paper 2 if you do AQA), try to break the program down into really simple components and solve each one - you'll get some marks even if you've only solved a bit of it, and complex looking programs don't always work better than simple ones. Try to submit something, even if it doesn't work/you think it's too basic, just to show your teacher that you're willing to put the effort in.

Also - just wondering, what exam board do you do? Only because there's a pretty big coding project if you do AQA so you'll want to make sure that your coding basics are strong now before you start it.
Hope this helps!
Appreciate the reply. I do OCR and I program in visual basic, hope that helps. And when you say start from the building blocks, are there some resources I can access that help?
aspire_astronaut
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Appreciate the reply. I do OCR and I program in visual basic, hope that helps. And when you say start from the building blocks, are there some resources I can access that help?
Youtube is usually quite useful for video tutorials - some go right back to the basics and guide you through making basic programs (and are over 3/4 hours long!)
EchoesAct3
Rep:
?
(Original post by aspire_astronaut)
Youtube is usually quite useful for video tutorials - some go right back to the basics and guide you through making basic programs (and are over 3/4 hours long!)
Alright, I'll give it a shot!
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
I take OCR A level Computer science too, I think it's 15 marks for the coding itself, and the rest of it is showing iterative design, pseudocode, and analysis design and evaluation. What sort of project are you thinking of doing?
EchoesAct3
Rep:
?
(Original post by huda.farooqui)
I take OCR A level Computer science too, I think it's 15 marks for the coding itself, and the rest of it is showing iterative design, pseudocode, and analysis design and evaluation. What sort of project are you thinking of doing?
No idea. I'm really thinking of something not too complex and simple. Could be anything really, haven't given it a thought.
huda.farooqui
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
No idea. I'm really thinking of something not too complex and simple. Could be anything really, haven't given it a thought.
Ah, okay so I'm assuming you are in Year 12? You could use Codeacademy or W3schools they are both really helpful for learning a new language
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (164)
43.97%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (42)
11.26%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (31)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (79)
21.18%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (35)
9.38%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (22)
5.9%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed