The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by haba0809
I am hoping for an interview from King's EMDP and an offer but if not then ARU is my first choice! :wink:

same here!!
I am hoping for an interview from King's EMDP and an offer but if not then ARU is my first choice! :wink:

same here! not sure if i should choose emdp or aru though :frown:
Original post by skdffksnjjj

Yh same (if I get an offer for kings - hopefully). There is a lot to consider:
- extra year (I am not too bothered about it but med is already so long)
- different teaching style and course structure (I prefer aru as its a lot more clinical from the beginning)
- location (London seem better but I already live here so somewhere new could be nice)
- this is a bit controversial lol but kings is more established and prestigious (I dont care about this toooo much but it is something to consider)
Reply 63
- different teaching style and course structure (I prefer aru as its a lot more clinical from the beginning)
- location (London seem better but I already live here so somewhere new could be nice)
- this is a bit controversial lol but kings is more established and prestigious (I dont care about this toooo much but it is something to consider)

I'm not sure how it works for emdp but do you join the normal cohort from yr2. Cuz if so then you do get a bit lost in the crowd.. 400 people doing medicine together. Admin can be crap from what I've heard from medic friends

The big crowds and admin bit is the reason why I didn't even wait to hear from Kings and just firmed ARU. They're my UG uni and I absolutely loved them, I needed London choices as husband has to be here. Otherwise my choices would be and were gona be different if I had a need to apply next year.

But everyone has their own point of view. And reasons. I know Kcl medics have the most fun amongst the London unis😉
Socials are amazing, location is beautiful, guys campus is beautiful.
Some teachers and lecturers are passionate and top of their fields.

Edit: just wanted to say don't let an extra year put you off, in the long run you won't even realise. I'm 27 and I'm starting now. Unless it's financially difficult.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Furbs
I'm not sure how it works for emdp but do you join the normal cohort from yr2. Cuz if so then you do get a bit lost in the crowd.. 400 people doing medicine together. Admin can be crap from what I've heard from medic friends

The big crowds and admin bit is the reason why I didn't even wait to hear from Kings and just firmed ARU. They're my UG uni and I absolutely loved them, I needed London choices as husband has to be here. Otherwise my choices would be and were gona be different if I had a need to apply next year.

But everyone has their own point of view. And reasons. I know Kcl medics have the most fun amongst the London unis😉
Socials are amazing, location is beautiful, guys campus is beautiful.
Some teachers and lecturers are passionate and top of their fields.

Edit: just wanted to say don't let an extra year put you off, in the long run you won't even realise. I'm 27 and I'm starting now. Unless it's financially difficult.

that is so true! thank you for this i needed someone to discuss this with but had no idea if anybody had an opinion about these two unis aha. The extra year and also idk if this is the case but im paranoid that the 5year kcl medics would 'look down' on the 6 year ones even tho theres nothing to be looking down on ! also kcl's campus is beautiful but tbf i live in london rn and a change would be quite cool- and i guess i could always come back and work there? idk how it works thats in about 5 years time!

this is exactly what i was considering! i live here in london anyway but the campus for kcl is so beautiful ahahaha.
i need to look more in depth into both unis tho, if you find anything whilst researching pls lmk!
also have you had an interview for emdp?
this is exactly what i was considering! i live here in london anyway but the campus for kcl is so beautiful ahahaha.
i need to look more in depth into both unis tho, if you find anything whilst researching pls lmk!
also have you had an interview for emdp?

yeah same it seems like the aru campus and city is so different to kcl. I just found out from my research that the kings course has some philosophy in the first year - i personally like that but that may be something to consider :smile:
Reply 67
that is so true! thank you for this i needed someone to discuss this with but had no idea if anybody had an opinion about these two unis aha. The extra year and also idk if this is the case but im paranoid that the 5year kcl medics would 'look down' on the 6 year ones even tho theres nothing to be looking down on ! also kcl's campus is beautiful but tbf i live in london rn and a change would be quite cool- and i guess i could always come back and work there? idk how it works thats in about 5 years time!

Don't be paranoid as far as I can remember. Everyone blended quite nicely. There's always some of those people you get but that's everywhere. Don't let that get to you. At the end of the day whether you are in 4, 5 or 6 year course you still do medicine and graduate with the same degree
Original post by Furbs
Don't be paranoid as far as I can remember. Everyone blended quite nicely. There's always some of those people you get but that's everywhere. Don't let that get to you. At the end of the day whether you are in 4, 5 or 6 year course you still do medicine and graduate with the same degree

This might sound like a silly question but I'm still not fully sure how it works. So as far as I am aware the EMDP people have first year content split into two years so it's more gradual. So for our third year (technically the second year of the course) do we just join the second year non emdp medics?

Note: apologies to all the people who are on this thread for ARU stuff and not a kings vs ARU discussion lol
Hiya guys!! Ahhh I'm so happy I got my offer two days ago and I literally cried when I saw it had changed on my portal. I can't believe I'm finally going to be a doctor. Just have to get the grades now :s-smilie: :crazy:
This might sound like a silly question but I'm still not fully sure how it works. So as far as I am aware the EMDP people have first year content split into two years so it's more gradual. So for our third year (technically the second year of the course) do we just join the second year non emdp medics?

Note: apologies to all the people who are on this thread for ARU stuff and not a kings vs ARU discussion lol

yeah i thought this as well hmm not really sure how it works
I know it’s a long way away lol, but does anyone know how Years 4 and 5 are assessed because I see that they’ve said these years are almost entirely based on placement in a workplace setting.
Original post by Anonymous278
I know it’s a long way away lol, but does anyone know how Years 4 and 5 are assessed because I see that they’ve said these years are almost entirely based on placement in a workplace setting.

Year 4 you sit single best answer questions and an anatomy spot, then at the start of final year OSCEs. You will have to do get signed off for certain procedures etc.
Original post by tufftybluey
Year 4 you sit single best answer questions and an anatomy spot, then at the start of final year OSCEs. You will have to do get signed off for certain procedures etc.

Thank you.

Are those SBA exams more Situational Judgment style as we won’t have had any lecture based knowledge to learn for that year?
Reply 74
Hey guys, so happy I’m able to join an offer holders thread this year after getting 4 rejections last yearrrr. Are a lot of people considering ARU to be their firm choice? X
Original post by RA:)
Hey guys, so happy I’m able to join an offer holders thread this year after getting 4 rejections last yearrrr. Are a lot of people considering ARU to be their firm choice? X

Me too! Still so shocked.

Yes, I’ll be firming ARU, what about you?
Reply 76
Original post by Anonymous278
Thank you.

Are those SBA exams more Situational Judgment style as we won’t have had any lecture based knowledge to learn for that year?

Not sure if I'm correctly placed to answer cuz I am an applicant too. But husband is a doctor. Every medic in final year does placements. With the rare 1 or 2 lectures per term. Sometimes not even that. You mostly have to self study, based on the first 3/4 years of the course and also whatever you are learning on your placement.

They do have like a syllabus sort of. Like our cohorts are going to sit the MLA and there's a whole curriculum of what we should be able to do and know.
Original post by Furbs
Not sure if I'm correctly placed to answer cuz I am an applicant too. But husband is a doctor. Every medic in final year does placements. With the rare 1 or 2 lectures per term. Sometimes not even that. You mostly have to self study, based on the first 3/4 years of the course and also whatever you are learning on your placement.

They do have like a syllabus sort of. Like our cohorts are going to sit the MLA and there's a whole curriculum of what we should be able to do and know.

This makes a lot of sense.
Thank you for this.
anybody know much about the accommodation? is it possible to have a girls only accommodation or not?
anybody know much about the accommodation? is it possible to have a girls only accommodation or not?

I was wondering the same thing!

Latest

Trending

Trending