Running and bodyweight

Watch
csmith20
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
This is a hypothetical question but I’ll be able to apply the principles to my own goals so thanks to anyone who gives an answer

Does having less body fat make your training more effective? By this i mean, let’s say an individual runs 40 miles per week, runs 2 interval sessions and includes enough easy / recovery runs to be making progress. Then in the 3 weeks before a race loses 10lbs of body fat. (For the sake of the question assume the fat loss doesn’t interfere with the training).

Would the person expect to run a similar time in the race compared to if they had never had the extra 10lbs of body fat? Assuming in the second instance it was the exact same 40 miles, same paces and same hard runs etc. But just all along 10lbs lighter. Would there be much of a difference there?

(I know that being lighter / less body fat can allow you to run faster or push harder especially with interval sessions but for the sake of the question assume all the training is run in the same way).
DFGH1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by csmith20)
This is a hypothetical question but I’ll be able to apply the principles to my own goals so thanks to anyone who gives an answer

Does having less body fat make your training more effective? By this i mean, let’s say an individual runs 40 miles per week, runs 2 interval sessions and includes enough easy / recovery runs to be making progress. Then in the 3 weeks before a race loses 10lbs of body fat. (For the sake of the question assume the fat loss doesn’t interfere with the training).

Would the person expect to run a similar time in the race compared to if they had never had the extra 10lbs of body fat? Assuming in the second instance it was the exact same 40 miles, same paces and same hard runs etc. But just all along 10lbs lighter. Would there be much of a difference there?

(I know that being lighter / less body fat can allow you to run faster or push harder especially with interval sessions but for the sake of the question assume all the training is run in the same way).
If you are lighter without compromising muscle mass/water retention weight/carbs stored, then yeah it will obviously make u faster, but in reality with weight loss you will always lose some muscle anyway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.58%
Virtual campus tours/open days (98)
22.95%
Live streaming events (39)
9.13%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (40)
9.37%
A uni comparison tool (97)
22.72%
An in-person event when available (95)
22.25%