The Student Room Group

Vectors help

https://gyazo.com/46db641a509c974ff607c8af742272cd
I'm not really sure on these 2 questions, I tried using a.b/moda x mod b= cos theta equation to find equation where the 2 position vectors meet, I got 40.2(3sf) while it's asking for an exact value

for b, I tried using 1/2absinc for the area so I tried doing root 6 x root 14 x 40.2.. and I can't seem to get it in the form expected in the question

Scroll to see replies

For a, you can find one length of the other side

Then use cosine rule, I think
Reply 2
Original post by CaptainDuckie
For a, you can find one length of the other side

Then use cosine rule, I think

oh right ok that makes sense i was thinking that but it didn't seem right thank you
Reply 3
For a) It may be helpful to draw a sketch of angle OXY. Remember it is the length AWAY from the angle you need. So calculate XO and XY and use formula you mentioned.

For b) use (1/2)*(a)*(b)*sinC
Original post by HelloZello
oh right ok that makes sense i was thinking that but it didn't seem right thank you

What did you get?
Reply 5
Original post by CaptainDuckie
What did you get?

am completing the last questions am gonna come bk to that 1 later hopefully- what did u get so i can compare my answers
am completing the last questions am gonna come bk to that 1 later hopefully- what did u get so i can compare my answers

.... I’m not supposed to tell you answers
https://gyazo.com/46db641a509c974ff607c8af742272cd
I'm not really sure on these 2 questions, I tried using a.b/moda x mod b= cos theta equation to find equation where the 2 position vectors meet, I got 40.2(3sf) while it's asking for an exact value

This is the right approach; you can express the length of the vectors exactly (as the square root of an integer).
Reply 8
Original post by DFranklin
This is the right approach; you can express the length of the vectors exactly (as the square root of an integer).

i thought they ment exact trig values so i was confused before
Reply 9
i thought they ment exact trig values so i was confused before

The angle is correct. Leave it as cos(OXY) = .... as this is exact value. For part b) draw a triangle and calculate sin(OXY) (or use sin(OXY) = sqrt(1-cos(OXY)^2) and the area of a triangle formula.
Original post by MiladA
The angle is correct. Leave it as cos(OXY) = .... as this is exact value. For part b) draw a triangle and calculate sin(OXY) (or use sin(OXY) = sqrt(1-cos(OXY)^2) and the area of a triangle formula.

i diid 1/2absinc and I did 1/2 x root 14 x root 6 x sin(40.2) as thats the angle in between and I got 2.957..=2.96(3sf) and I don't know how to get this into exact form...
Reply 11
i diid 1/2absinc and I did 1/2 x root 14 x root 6 x sin(40.2) as thats the angle in between and I got 2.957..=2.96(3sf) and I don't know how to get this into exact form...

As per above advice, leave cos C as an exact value, then calculate sin C from this, so it too will be an exact value.

Do you have an answer to check against?
Original post by davros
As per above advice, leave cos C as an exact value, then calculate sin C from this, so it too will be an exact value.

Do you have an answer to check against?

dont think i learnt that yet- does that relate to quadrants perhaps, I'm not really sure how to do that sorry, does it involve complementary angles where they are 90 degrees apart? spent so much time on the 2 markers but I done the last questions involving shortest distances
Reply 13
dont think i learnt that yet- does that relate to quadrants perhaps, I'm not really sure how to do that sorry, does it involve complementary angles where they are 90 degrees apart? spent so much time on the 2 markers but I done the last questions involving shortest distances

You've never come across sin2A+cos2A=1\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 1 before ?
Original post by davros
You've never come across sin2A+cos2A=1\sin^2 A + \cos^2 A = 1 before ?

i have sir oooh i get it now its night lol my brain is a bit fried
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 15
i have sir oooh i get it now its night lol my brain is a bit fried

So what's the problem? You worked out cos C (or whatever angle you called it) as an exact value in the first part, so now you want to know what sin C is for the area formula...

EDIT: just seen you've updated your post :smile:
Original post by davros
So what's the problem? You worked out cos C (or whatever angle you called it) as an exact value in the first part, so now you want to know what sin C is for the area formula...

EDIT: just seen you've updated your post :smile:

thank u haha
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 17
thank u haha

So have you now got an answer in the required form? (You shouldn't be working out any angles or taking the sin or cos of anything :smile: )
Original post by davros
So have you now got an answer in the required form? (You shouldn't be working out any angles or taking the sin or cos of anything :smile: )

i thought i knew the answer but i forgot how to do it- we havent learn this in school yet so yeah i keep having an idea and forgetting how to do it, this question is only 2 marks but still :c
Reply 19
Original post by davros

I'm not sure how to get exact values either substituting the angle doesn't seem to give an exact value

Quick Reply

Latest