The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Aston vs University of Birmingham: Law

UoB's better for Law; Aston's not as good for Law, but both are still well respected universities.

I'd rather go to Aston for the experience as it's in the city centre; as I said, UoB's better for Law.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is: is UoB's social life good; would it be worth living in the city centre or on campus?
what do u want to become?
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham
Reply 2
Original post by casiee__xo
what do u want to become?

Probably a lawyer or detective. Ngl, law's not something I'm crazy about, I just thought it'd be a decent degree that's fairly interesting. Wbu?
Original post by Reubz
UoB's better for Law; Aston's not as good for Law, but both are still well respected universities.

I'd rather go to Aston for the experience as it's in the city centre; as I said, UoB's better for Law.

I guess what I'm really trying to ask is: is UoB's social life good; would it be worth living in the city centre or on campus?

Hi there! As a former UoB student I can vouch for the fact that the social life is brilliant! While the campus is situated in Edgbaston, it's only a stone's throw from the city centre. University station gets you into the city centre on the train in about 8 minutes, or a taxi ride or bus journey is very similar. A lot of students love the fact they get the best of both worlds - the campus life but being so close to the city centre too.

In terms of accommodation, that all comes down to personal preference. The University has several different halls of residence and partner accommodation walking distance from campus, which in turn makes it super close to the city centre too. The campus is also really close to suburbs like Selly Oak and Harborne where there are plenty of cafes, pubs and bars. UoB's student's union - the Guild of Students - has loads of societies to choose from which put on lots of socials. The Guild also has its own club night on a Saturday night. The Law School's student society, the Holdsworth Club, also organises loads of social events throughout the year.

I hope that helps with your decision. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about Law at UoB or anything else! Thanks, Gemma
Reply 4
Original post by UoB - Arts and Law
Hi there! As a former UoB student I can vouch for the fact that the social life is brilliant! While the campus is situated in Edgbaston, it's only a stone's throw from the city centre. University station gets you into the city centre on the train in about 8 minutes, or a taxi ride or bus journey is very similar. A lot of students love the fact they get the best of both worlds - the campus life but being so close to the city centre too.

In terms of accommodation, that all comes down to personal preference. The University has several different halls of residence and partner accommodation walking distance from campus, which in turn makes it super close to the city centre too. The campus is also really close to suburbs like Selly Oak and Harborne where there are plenty of cafes, pubs and bars. UoB's student's union - the Guild of Students - has loads of societies to choose from which put on lots of socials. The Guild also has its own club night on a Saturday night. The Law School's student society, the Holdsworth Club, also organises loads of social events throughout the year.

I hope that helps with your decision. Feel free to ask if you have any questions about Law at UoB or anything else! Thanks, Gemma

Thanks Gemma, that's really insightful and very helpful. Tbh, you've kind of answered it for me - I can study at UoB for the best degree; have a good social life too. Appreciate it x.
Original post by Reubz
Thanks Gemma, that's really insightful and very helpful. Tbh, you've kind of answered it for me - I can study at UoB for the best degree; have a good social life too. Appreciate it x.

No problem, I'm glad it was helpful! :smile:

Quick Reply