PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Tashax2)
If they agree to hold, is it a verbal agreement or in writing ? If it’s verbal couldn’t they just say that they never said that ?
It depends on them

With ANY conversation with universities or UCAS about your application it's important to keep track of the phone number you called and the name and job title of the person you speak to. And if anyone promises anything and you're uncertain then ask them to confirm that in writing to make sure you understood what is being said.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Ten-Ten)
Seems complicated
The system isn't designed for people wanting to have their cake and eat it. If you don't want to go to your firm but also don't want to take any risk by giving it up then it's going to be complicated.
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don’t think it’s a rosy picture, matter of fact I imagine it would be a difficult process. Yeah she may have a knowledge of ucas but at the end of the day it matters what ucas and the government say
If you are prepared to trust the government then you are clearly very new to this. Throughout the last year they have been saying things then changing their minds and coming up with something else. There was the universities minister on her saying one thing then her boss announcing a different policy the next day. They announced results day would be brought forward then changed their minds when they found it wasnt practical. They have said this year all along there would be exams then announced a change of policy a few weeks ago. Schools werent going to close but they have. They insisted there would be moderated CAGs last summer then withdrew the moderation last minute. They told students who sat exams in October that they could use those get into university for September. That hasnt happened in most universities. They said the amended non university grades would be accepted by universities for last September entry only for many top universities to have already filled their spaces so couldnt take anymore students and got deferred to this year. These are just some of their U Turns but if you want to believe carry on.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by swanseajack1)
If you are prepared to trust the government then you are clearly very new to this. Throughout the last year they have been saying things then changing their minds and coming up with something else. There was the universities minister on her saying one thing then her boss announcing a different policy the next day. They announced results day would be brought forward then changed their minds when they found it wasnt practical. They have said this year all along there would be exams then announced a change of policy a few weeks ago. Schools werent going to close but they have. They insisted there would be moderated CAGs last summer then withdrew the moderation last minute. They told students who sat exams in October that they could use those get into university for September. That hasnt happened in most universities. They said the amended non university grades would be accepted by universities for last September entry only for many top universities to have already filled their spaces so couldnt take anymore students and got deferred to this year. These are just some of their U Turns but if you want to believe carry on.
The like was by accident so ignore that

1) never in my life have I trusted this government, if anything I’ve been the one saying they’re constantly changing their minds and if we’ve learnt anything from last year what the government says hardly ever happens, so I don’t know where you got that from in what I said but I don’t and don’t ever talk to me like that again

2) what I’m saying is that yeah its all well and good saying that oh yeah this person on tsr says adjustment isn’t happening so I’m gonna take their word for it, but then adjustment does happen and I’m not prepared for it at all so why would I do that. Until it is CONFIRMED by anyone of importance that adjustment is not happening, I’m going to continue working hard so I can increase my grades and go to a uni that I actually want to go to
Admit-One
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I don't believe anyone was being discouraged from working hard, only to not pin their hopes on Adjustment for the reasons above.
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
I don't believe anyone was being discouraged from working hard, only to not pin their hopes on Adjustment for the reasons above.
True but I don’t want to be discouraged from it all together. By saying it may not happen kind of makes everything about this academic year worse as it’s in a way something to look forward to as you can get into a better school. And by saying there’s no adjustment it’s like you’re stuck with the uni’s you applied to that you don’t necessarily want to go to so then it becomes unmotivating for you to want to do well. Basically

But it depends on each person really
Last edited by Ten-Ten; 2 months ago
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
True but I don’t want to be discouraged from it all together. By saying it may not happen kind of makes everything about this academic year worse as it’s in a way something to look forward to as you can get into a better school. And by saying there’s no adjustment it’s like you’re stuck with the uni’s you applied to that you don’t necessarily want to go to so then it becomes unmotivating for you to want to do well. Basically

Where did you actually apply ?
swanseajack1
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

PQ has massive expertise in this area whether you realise or not. It is her gut feeling with many years experience that it might not go ahead. She is a ucas trained adviser. Admit-One is an admissions officer. If they have doubts you would be foolish to ignore their gut feelings. They might prove wrong but they have knowledge so dont try and ignore it
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Where did you actually apply ?
Queen Mary, Southampton, Royal Holloway, Kent and Birmingham.

Got accepted to Kent, rejected from Birmingham, will probably be rejected from Queen Mary leaving me with Kent, Royal Holloway and Southampton
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

The point I'm trying to make is that adjustment might not happen - but that's fine because Clearing is just as good and in many ways better than adjustment. The one, tiny, benefit of adjustment (not risking your firm) is something it's possible to ask for if you use clearing instead, and all the benefits of clearing (more control for applicants, more information available, longer timescales) are never available to adjustment applicants. Long before adjustment existed applicants would use clearing to do what you want to do, and most years the majority of applicants in your situation end up using clearing instead of adjustment for a whole range of reasons.

Getting hung up on the fantasy of adjustment is never a good idea for applicants - and this year there's an added risk involved with doubt over the results dates that could change the whole picture completely.
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago

Got accepted to Kent, rejected from Birmingham, will probably be rejected from Queen Mary leaving me with Kent, Royal Holloway and Southampton
And where do you want to use adjustment to apply?
Tashax2
Rep:
?

Well done for your offers, what are you studying?
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Well done for your offers, what are you studying?
Business management. I even saw your thread about wanting to study marketing. I was going to but kept getting told it wasn’t a good degree to do, and business is the only other degree I have an interest in
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
And where do you want to use adjustment to apply?
King’s college, UCL or Nottingham. Depending on the final grade
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by PQ)
The point I'm trying to make is that adjustment might not happen - but that's fine because Clearing is just as good and in many ways better than adjustment. The one, tiny, benefit of adjustment (not risking your firm) is something it's possible to ask for if you use clearing instead, and all the benefits of clearing (more control for applicants, more information available, longer timescales) are never available to adjustment applicants. Long before adjustment existed applicants would use clearing to do what you want to do, and most years the majority of applicants in your situation end up using clearing instead of adjustment for a whole range of reasons.

Getting hung up on the fantasy of adjustment is never a good idea for applicants - and this year there's an added risk involved with doubt over the results dates that could change the whole picture completely.
I get your points and I’m not getting hung up, I just want something to look forward to rather than the idea of just being stuck with what I have
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Business management. I even saw your thread about wanting to study marketing. I was going to but kept getting told it wasn’t a good degree to do, and business is the only other degree I have an interest in
Yes I’m now so confused on what I’m going to do , I’m only interested in business and marketing as degree options from what I’ve looked at , I wanted to apply to better unis than I applied to but my gcse maths grade didn’t let me so now I’m thinking of something else but I don’t know what
Tashax2
Rep:
?
Yes I’m now so confused on what I’m going to do , I’m only interested in business and marketing as degree options from what I’ve looked at , I wanted to apply to better unis than I applied to but my gcse maths grade didn’t let me so now I’m thinking of something else but I don’t know what
Do you know why you got rejected from the others?
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
yeah I get that. Have you tried looking at degree apprenticeships
Ten-Ten
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Do you know why you got rejected from the others?
I believe Birmingham was because of my gcse English language. I thought that because I was eligible for a reduced offer due to completing their summer school that I would be fine but nope. And I haven’t been rejected from Queen Mary yet but I feel like I will as they wanted AAA and my predicted is ABB, I tried to get it changed to AAB but that’s a long story
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
King’s college, UCL or Nottingham. Depending on the final grade
Apart from UCL they all use clearing more than adjustment (and even UCL abandoned their daft "adjustment but not clearing" stance last year).
And KCL and Nottingham both have courses with vacancies still now (and so do UCL if you were interested in study combined with a language) https://digital.ucas.com/coursedispl...reference=None
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (76)
4.73%
Uncertainty around my education (246)
15.3%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (175)
10.88%
Lack of purpose or motivation (227)
14.12%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (71)
4.42%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (95)
5.91%
Loneliness (140)
8.71%
Financial worries (57)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (72)
4.48%
Exposure to negative news/social media (79)
4.91%
Lack of real life entertainment (85)
5.29%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (138)
8.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (147)
9.14%

Watched Threads