The Student Room Group

Unis in adjustment last year

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tashax2
Yes I do through access to Leeds which I have applied for and they have confirmed me eligible. If you read through the website they say if you qualify it’s ABB and 5 gcses grade 4 inc maths grade 4

Taken from Leeds university Business and Management

A-level: AAB

GCSE: 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or higher including Mathematics grade B/5 and English Language grade B/6 or equivalent, or an appropriate English language qualification.*
Reply 101
Original post by swanseajack1
Taken from Leeds university Business and Management

A-level: AAB

GCSE: 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or higher including Mathematics grade B/5 and English Language grade B/6 or equivalent, or an appropriate English language qualification.*

Also taken from Leeds website business management and marketing: Typical Access to Leeds offer
A level: ABB

GCSE: 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or higher including Mathematics grade C/4 and English Language or English Literature grade C/4

Access to Leeds: Pass

Then taken from an email from access to Leeds:

The minimum Maths requirement for 'standard' candidates is indeed a B/5 at GCSE, therefore if you are not deemed eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme, then unfortunately your application would be rejected. That is unless you would consider resitting your Maths GCSE alongside your current studies, in the hope of achieving a B/5 ?

Alternatively, if you are eligible for the scheme, we are able to give some flexibility on the Maths and English requirements, therefore your grade 4 would be fine.
Reply 102
Original post by Tashax2
Also taken from Leeds website business management and marketing: Typical Access to Leeds offer

GCSE: 5 GCSEs at grade C/4 or higher including Mathematics grade C/4 and English Language or English Literature grade C/4

The minimum Maths requirement for 'standard' candidates is indeed a B/5 at GCSE, therefore if you are not deemed eligible for the Access to Leeds scheme, then unfortunately your application would be rejected. That is unless you would consider resitting your Maths GCSE alongside your current studies, in the hope of achieving a B/5 ?

Alternatively, if you are eligible for the scheme, we are able to give some flexibility on the Maths and English requirements, therefore your grade 4 would be fine.

If you read I said through access to Leeds not the normal requirements , it’s the same for business management just BBB instead as the marketing one is normally AAA
Original post by Tashax2

Original post by Tashax2
If you read I said through access to Leeds not the normal requirements , it’s the same for business management just BBB instead as the marketing one is normally AAA

Good luck with it as it is very, very unusual for a university to drop a GCSE grade. This is the first time I have come across a university dropping a GCSE grade for an access or contextual offer. What it does show is that the university is desperate for access students in the way most others arent.
Reply 104
Good luck with it as it is very, very unusual for a university to drop a GCSE grade. This is the first time I have come across a university dropping a GCSE grade for an access or contextual offer. What it does show is that the university is desperate for access students in the way most others arent.

I’m not sure why you’re acting very pessimistic when I have shown you what the website says and the email confirmation I’ve gotten , if you go on the website and look at the course and just scroll down you will see it
Years of experience have taught me that universities do not drop GCSE Maths grades and also all I have never seen have not dropped GCSE grades for contextual or access students. If Leeds are doing it then it is your good fortune and good luck to you. It doesnt alter they are the only ones so shows how desperate they are.
But for student finance you’re supposed to put the uni you plan on going to and the course, but if you go through clearing you’d have to change it isn’t it? How long would that take and would it be difficult
Original post by Ten-Ten
But for student finance you’re supposed to put the uni you plan on going to and the course, but if you go through clearing you’d have to change it isn’t it? How long would that take and would it be difficult

It takes 5 minutes to change your university on student finance, it’s so easy. If you have issues with it you can call up and they will do it via the phone.
Original post by Mkbedford
It takes 5 minutes to change your university on student finance, it’s so easy. If you have issues with it you can call up and they will do it via the phone.

Ohhh I thought it would take days. Thank you
Original post by Ten-Ten
Ohhh I thought it would take days. Thank you

That’s alright, they have to make it a easy process as they ask students to put their firm uni which they know most students won’t get into. So it has to be quick and easy to change. Having said that sf often crashes on the day for agessss but it shouldn’t effect anything as adjustment lasts like 4 days.
That’s alright, they have to make it a easy process as they ask students to put their firm uni which they know most students won’t get into. So it has to be quick and easy to change. Having said that sf often crashes on the day for agessss but it shouldn’t effect anything as adjustment lasts like 4 days.

Makes sense

It takes about 4 weeks on average for SFE to update applications to a new university and they won't accept a Change of Circumstance submission over the phone - it's either online or using a paper form.

(and around 70% of applicants end up at their firm choice)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by PQ
There's no priority for adjustment v clearing.
Adjustment is TINY compared to clearing 0.1% of placed applicants get a place via adjustment (about 700 people), 21% get a place via Clearing (over 100,000 people). Adjustment is also restricted to 5 calendar days after A level results day - which is why the discussions around the exact date of A level results this year mean there is a reasonable chance that adjustment will not run this year.

You don't have to wait until Clearing to apply to KCL. Talk to them about whether they expect your course to be open in Extra. If they will be then you can decline your offers or withdraw from them and apply to KCL in a couple of weeks time when Extra opens.

can I ask how extra works? I personally find the UCAS website a bit unclear
Original post by lilacprague
can I ask how extra works? I personally find the UCAS website a bit unclear

With Extra it opens in late Feb and is available to anybody not holding an offer. To use it you have too have been rejected by or declined all your offers. You can then apply to 1 university at a time who will either make you an offer or reject you. You can either accept the offer or decline it. If you accept it then it will be your firm and if you meet the conditions that is where you go. You do not have an insurance choice in extra If you decline you then apply for another choice until you find somewhere that makes you an offer you want to accept. If you dont meet the offer you will be placed in clearing in the usual way
(edited 3 years ago)
With Extra it opens in late Feb and is available to anybody not holding an offer. To use it you have too have been rejected by or declined all your offers. You can then apply to 1 university at a time who will either make you an offer or reject you. You can either accept the offer or decline it. If you accept it then it will be your firm and if you meet the conditions that is where you go. You do not have an insurance choice in extra If you decline you then apply for another choice until you find somewhere that makes you an offer you want to accept. If you dont meet the offer you will be placed in clearing in the usual way

thank you for replying
I know this kind of defeats the point, but could you theoretically apply to to a uni in extra that you declined to use extra? If that makes sense.
so you only hold one offer in total if you go through clearing?

-just for some context, I didn't apply to KCL, but wish I had, so am just looking for any way I could go there, if that's through adjustment or clearing. With adjustment, if I had a firm offer of AAB and got AAA, could I use clearing to get a place at a uni that only wants AAB?
thank you for replying
I know this kind of defeats the point, but could you theoretically apply to to a uni in extra that you declined to use extra? If that makes sense.

-just for some context, I didn't apply to KCL, but wish I had, so am just looking for any way I could go there, if that's through adjustment or clearing. With adjustment, if I had a firm offer of AAB and got AAA, could I use clearing to get a place at a uni that only wants AAB?

You and me both. I also wish I applied to kcl and I’m trying to go there
thank you for replying

If you decline ALL your offers and can apply anywhere and as far as I know that includes places you already applied to. The only restriction is that the university has to have the course in extra and the same applies to clearing. @PQ can you confirm this is correct please.

I suppose it largely boils down to the course. In previous years Kings has had many courses in clearing and I suspect Extra as well. However for Law which is one of their flagship courses it is unlikely this would have been in either. Universities only put courses in both if they have been unable to fill that course. Generally over the last few years most universities and courses have been in both as the number of places on courses has outstripped demand.

The almost impossible thing to predict is what will happen this year. In the past EC students have paid the same fees as UK students as we were part of the EC. This is no longer the case so many might decide not to come here and pay international fees. If that proves to be the case there might be more places.

However we also have CAGs being used this year. Last year there were nearly double the numbers getting A*s and As than got the same grades under exams in previous years. If the same happens this year more students will meet their grades so less courses will be available.

Given the above it is impossible to definitely predict what will happen this year although I suspect the very competitive courses like Law at Kings wont be available but only time will tell.
(edited 3 years ago)
If you decline ALL your offers and can apply anywhere and as far as I know that includes places you already applied to. The only restriction is that the university has to have the course in extra and the same applies to clearing. @PQ can you confirm this is correct please.

I suppose it largely boils down to the course. In previous years Kings has had many courses in clearing and I suspect Extra as well. However for Law which is one of their flagship courses it is unlikely this would have been in either. Universities only put courses in both if they have been unable to fill that course. Generally over the last few years most universities and courses have been in both as the number of places on courses has outstripped demand.

The almost impossible thing to predict is what will happen this year. In the past EC students have paid the same fees as UK students as we were part of the EC. This is no longer the case so many might decide not to come here and pay international fees. If that proves to be the case there might be more places.

However we also have CAGs being used this year. Last year there were nearly double the numbers getting A*s and As than got the same grades under exams in previous years. If the same happens this year more students will meet their grades so less courses will be available.

Given the above it is impossible to definitely predict what will happen this year although I suspect the very competitive courses like Law at Kings wont be available but only time will tell.

just for some context, I'm hoping to go to King's for biomed, and I'm currently predicted AAB. I didn't get below a 7 in GCSEs
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Ten-Ten
You and me both. I also wish I applied to kcl and I’m trying to go there

do you know what you're going to do?
do you know what you're going to do?

Business management

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending