Obnoxious brother-in-law

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
The man who married my eldest sister is the most idiotic person I have ever met. He and I do not get on. I love my family, but my brother-in-law makes me look like a fool. He has one of those "Anything you can do, I can do better" attitudes. My sister believes he is some kind of superhero and nobody but me has a problem with him. Fair enough he does do things for my family, that he is skilled in and I am not, such as wallpapering or painting. When someone greets him, he acts as if he has not heard them, my sister tells him not to be rude. He treats me as if I am a child, telling me things that he did better when he was my age. He has a good relationship with the rest of my family though. I am not a violent person, but I could easily punch his lights out. I simply hate him, but I do not let it show. It is so annoying that others can't see him in the same way I do, my family believes he is a down to earth person.

Sorry, I am just ranting.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 5 months ago
You do sound quite childish tbh. The fact that he gets along with all the other adults and only you have a problem suggests that you're the problem.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
You do sound quite childish tbh. The fact that he gets along with all the other adults and only you have a problem suggests that you're the problem.
Perhaps, I do not mean to come across as childish though. Trust me, if you knew him and I wrote all the things I do not like about him, you would see that I am not the problem.
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Perhaps, I do not mean to come across as childish though. Trust me, if you knew him and I wrote all the things I do not like about him, you would see that I am not the problem.
You're focusing on all the negative stuff. Come up with a list of positive things about him - that have nothing to do with you, and then compare it with the negative things that have everything to do with you. You need to be a bit more objective here. What's he like with others, how does he treat his wife, are they happy etc.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
You're focusing on all the negative stuff. Come up with a list of positive things about him - that have nothing to do with you, and then compare it with the negative things that have everything to do with you. You need to be a bit more objective here. What's he like with others, how does he treat his wife, are they happy etc.
He and my sister are happy, they are hoping for a baby and are planning on moving into their second house. He treats the rest of my family with respect, but treats me like dirt.

I can't knock him for doing things for my family, things that I can't do, as I do not have the same skill set. As you said, perhaps I should consider all his good qualities, but when you dislike someone, you can't see them as being good. Maybe I do have the problem, but I know he will drive a wedge between my family and me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (28)
5.63%
Uncertainty around my education (57)
11.47%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (59)
11.87%
Lack of purpose or motivation (66)
13.28%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (27)
5.43%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (21)
4.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (53)
10.66%
Financial worries (30)
6.04%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (20)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (32)
6.44%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (14)
2.82%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (48)
9.66%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (42)
8.45%

Watched Threads