The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
viviki
I just heard of these alternatives to normal tampons and wondered if anyone has tried them

http://www.seapearls.co.uk/

I can't decide whether they are a good idea or just yukky

Really not sure I like the idea of reusable tampons, that just sounds a little bit wrong. I'm with disposable all the way!!
Reply 2
It sounds like a good idea from an environmental point of view but wouldn't it be really messy.
What can I do if I am using a public restroom and don't feel comfortable rinsing out my sponge tampon? We suggest that you purchase 2 packs of Sea Pearls™, so you will have 3 extra sponges as a backup. Simply drop your used sponge into a small container and rinse them when you return home. Sponges that have been sitting in a container all day need to be well washed well with any of the methods described within this Website or in our brochure.

The idea of watching someone wash out their used tampon just isn't nice and neither is the idea of carrying one round in your bag all day. I don't think they've sold the idea to me yet
Reply 3
Eww, that's proper nasty!
Reply 4
You can also get Mooncups, which are little bell shaped cups to catch the "flow". And you can leave them in nearly all day. I've never tried one though.
Reply 5
that doesn't sound as bad. IT would be cleaner somehow to wash out a cup than wash out a sponge.
Reply 6
juno_the
You can also get Mooncups, which are little bell shaped cups to catch the "flow". And you can leave them in nearly all day. I've never tried one though.

Yeah, I've seen them.

The name makes sense, but it's still a bit yukky-sounding.

Sorry world, I'm sticking with the Tampax.
Reply 7
Nice idea but wonder how hard it would keep to be really hygenic?
juno_the

o.m.g this thread just gets more nasty every post!
Reply 9
In the bit about washing them, there's a list of solutions you could use - number 5 is 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 warm water...for a start, I wouldn't think anyone would have a bottle of hydrogen peroxide lying about the house, and secondly, I wouldn't even want to get hydrogen peroxide on my skin, let alone wash a tampon in it and then use that in an intimate place! :eek: There's no way that's safe!
Reply 10
I have hydrogen peroxid ein my house. Its great for washing wounds and cleaning. Plus hydrogen peroxide is in hair bleach. The concentration of the stuff you can have for the house is no different from having bleach in the house.
Reply 11
frost105
I have hydrogen peroxid ein my house. Its great for washing wounds and cleaning. Plus hydrogen peroxide is in hair bleach. The concentration of the stuff you can have for the house is no different from having bleach in the house.

I guess I'm thinking off the stuff we use at uni, which is probably a *lot* more concentrated...still don't like the idea of it though :redface: .
Reply 12
The whole thing just sounds a bit wrong, but then again it wasn't that long ago that people were using reusable condoms!!
I can see the environmental point of view but like most people im not sure i fancy the idea of using one.
juno_the

I know people with mooncups! The only problem is the public toilet one, which extends to halls if you live there, because in the flats I live in, the toilet and the sink are separate. So everyone I know with one has moved into halls and had to stop using it for a year.

Don't know if I would use a reusable tampon or not... I'm on the injection anyway so haven't had to consider it for eighteen months, yay!
environmentally...it's nice

personally...it seems wrong and disgusting.
besides i'm not allowed to use tampons so i'll stick with pads
Reply 16
eurasianfeline
environmentally...it's nice

personally...it seems wrong and disgusting.
besides i'm not allowed to use tampons so i'll stick with pads

i can't either TSS :frown:
Reply 17
Using it dry might perhaps be bearable, but after you've washed it out (and of course you have all the right ingredients to hand :rolleyes: ) you'd have to use it wet (or carry around a soggy sea-sponge tampon thing). Totally impracticle. It would be bad enough keeping it clean and convenient if you spent your whole life at home - how would you wash it out in a public loo?
lessthanthree
you're not allowed?

wha? why ;_;

stupid chinese old-fashioned thinking...
they think that using tampon will break ur hymen and u won't be a "virgin" when you get married.

my mom is very stubborn about the no sex before marriage thing. ok you can call me a slut if u want but i don't really care much about it...just as long as it's not with a guy i randomly met at a bar but someone i'm committed with. well that'll be sometime in the distant future anyway.

but yea...my mom's point being "it will break my hymen and it's wrong." :mad:
Reply 19
I don't mean to diss your mum or your culture but thats pretty crazy as the hymen is pretty fragile and most girls break it through exercise anyway.

If you horseride or do any vigourous gym exercises chances are you'll break it at some point anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending