Poverty in a christmas caroooollll?:)

Watch this thread
pari rad
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
can some one please send me an example of an essay on the theme of poverty in a CHRISTMAS CAROL?>
sym1105
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
This was my essay (I hope it helps)!

Charles Dickens represents the theme of poverty in A Christmas Carol in this extract particularly as inhumane creatures ‘wretched’ and ‘hideous’. With these descriptions Dickens is portraying the thoughts of the Victorian society in terms of the poor. Using an asyndetic list ‘wretched, abject, frightful, hideous’ Dickens is emphasising how humanity has made innocent humans afflicted with poverty into something insignificant, something to be afraid off. In the Victorian era, the theory of Atavism had been created- the idea that there is also a cultural tendency to revert back to the actions of a former time era, to ‘degradation’ i.e. the cavemen. This had been the counter argument of Darwinism showing degeneration stating that if people had evolved from a primitive form, they could potentially return to the basic state. In this way, society presents people with poverty as degenerate. In this extract Dickens states ‘...no degradation..has monsters half so terrible..’ indicating Atavistic thoughts and the negation modifier ‘no’ emphasises that people of the Victorian era used to believe that being poor was worse than degeneration- that they were not human. Due to this, the people had created ‘prisons’ and ‘workhouses’ to isolate them from society, telling the world that they are a treacherous form of life.

At the beginning of the extract, on Christmas Eve, charity men came to visit Scrooge in order to make some ‘slight provision for the poor and destitute’ which Dickens is trying to emphasise that the audience should spend on the poverty people on that day. This is because it is a Christian belief that ‘Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.’ Interestingly, Dickens makes a point through the statement [when the Charity man says in regards to how people act when they put poor people in workhouses] ‘scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind’. Through this statement it is inferred that giving charity will give people a healthy state of mind and ‘body to the multitude’ in a religious perspective. However, and as correctly displayed, Scrooge replies ‘I can’t afford to make idle people merry’. This key statement clearly portrays the (filthy) mindset of the Victorian society which Dickens smartly inserts within Scrooge’s speech. At the time, rich people believed they were poor because they were so lazy that they brought the calamity upon themselves! This highlights the ignorance of the upper class in the Victorian era as there beliefs were incorrect. This is due yo the exploration in philosophy.

Overall, Dickens presents the theme of poverty in a creative way as a call of attention to the way the Victorian people think and as a message for them to change their attitude to their perception of those in poverty that is engraved in their minds. As it was published in 1843, it was a time where the social conditions in Britain created a sharp division between the lower and upper classes. A critic, M.C Harrison, ha stated If Dickens’ readers could “vividly imagine the suffering they did not themselves experience, then they would be moved enough to intervene.” With his books [Oliver Twist-a social novel revolved around the life of the poor], he hoped to change the human thinking and attain sympathy for the poor as they were harmless, innocent and needed assistance.
pari rad
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by Samira Miah)
This was my essay (I hope it helps)!

Charles Dickens represents the theme of poverty in A Christmas Carol in this extract particularly as inhumane creatures ‘wretched’ and ‘hideous’. With these descriptions Dickens is portraying the thoughts of the Victorian society in terms of the poor. Using an asyndetic list ‘wretched, abject, frightful, hideous’ Dickens is emphasising how humanity has made innocent humans afflicted with poverty into something insignificant, something to be afraid off. In the Victorian era, the theory of Atavism had been created- the idea that there is also a cultural tendency to revert back to the actions of a former time era, to ‘degradation’ i.e. the cavemen. This had been the counter argument of Darwinism showing degeneration stating that if people had evolved from a primitive form, they could potentially return to the basic state. In this way, society presents people with poverty as degenerate. In this extract Dickens states ‘...no degradation..has monsters half so terrible..’ indicating Atavistic thoughts and the negation modifier ‘no’ emphasises that people of the Victorian era used to believe that being poor was worse than degeneration- that they were not human. Due to this, the people had created ‘prisons’ and ‘workhouses’ to isolate them from society, telling the world that they are a treacherous form of life.

At the beginning of the extract, on Christmas Eve, charity men came to visit Scrooge in order to make some ‘slight provision for the poor and destitute’ which Dickens is trying to emphasise that the audience should spend on the poverty people on that day. This is because it is a Christian belief that ‘Want is keenly felt, and Abundance rejoices.’ Interestingly, Dickens makes a point through the statement [when the Charity man says in regards to how people act when they put poor people in workhouses] ‘scarcely furnish Christian cheer of mind’. Through this statement it is inferred that giving charity will give people a healthy state of mind and ‘body to the multitude’ in a religious perspective. However, and as correctly displayed, Scrooge replies ‘I can’t afford to make idle people merry’. This key statement clearly portrays the (filthy) mindset of the Victorian society which Dickens smartly inserts within Scrooge’s speech. At the time, rich people believed they were poor because they were so lazy that they brought the calamity upon themselves! This highlights the ignorance of the upper class in the Victorian era as there beliefs were incorrect. This is due yo the exploration in philosophy.

Overall, Dickens presents the theme of poverty in a creative way as a call of attention to the way the Victorian people think and as a message for them to change their attitude to their perception of those in poverty that is engraved in their minds. As it was published in 1843, it was a time where the social conditions in Britain created a sharp division between the lower and upper classes. A critic, M.C Harrison, ha stated If Dickens’ readers could “vividly imagine the suffering they did not themselves experience, then they would be moved enough to intervene.” With his books [Oliver Twist-a social novel revolved around the life of the poor], he hoped to change the human thinking and attain sympathy for the poor as they were harmless, innocent and needed assistance.
thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (36)
26.09%
As I expected (46)
33.33%
Harder (49)
35.51%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
5.07%

Watched Threads