The Student Room Group

Help please! (A-Level options)

I am currently in Year 11 and need to choose my options for A-Level. We have to do 4 (before anyone says to only do 3). I am set on taking maths, biology and chemistry as I’m looking into future uni courses such as Biochemistry leading into pathology.
I am completely stuck for my 4th A-Level; English Lit or German? There are pros and cons for each. I got full marks in all Lit exams, but COVID meant I didn’t get chance to do my German mocks. I am predicted A* in both and have been told I have a natural ability for both.
Please give me some advice on workload, difficulty, etc if you have experience with these A-Levels!! The board is WJEC, but I assume courses across different exam boards are similar anyway.
hey! im picking my a levels too and i've heard that english lit is absolutely loads of work and if your taking maths, bio and chem, you'll already be pretty swamped i think. if you took german, and you feel you're good at it already, it could be nice to take it further and then you'll be almost fluent in german and have a good addition to CV even if you don't use it at uni or anything. thats probably what i would do but just an idea :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by emman0071
hey! im picking my a levels too and i've heard that english lit is absolutely loads of work and if your taking maths, bio and chem, you'll already be pretty swamped i think. if you took german, and you feel you're good at it already, it could be nice to take it further and then you'll be almost fluent in german and have a good addition to CV even if you don't use it at uni or anything. thats probably what i would do but just an idea :smile:

Thanks for the advice!! The only things putting me off German were how MFLs are apparently the hardest A-Levels to do and also my lack of exam experience in German due to COVID. I am sure that by working hard I’ll be able to cope with the German and by the sounds of it, MFLs are respected by unis :smile: thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest