Ethan08
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello,

At school I didn't do well at GCSE's, as a consequence I only had 3 GCSE's grades A*- C including English. Most of the other subjects (options chosen at year 9) were B-tech's which passed all of them.

I have never been good with math, I'm just one of the unlucky ones who doesn't get maths no matter how hard I try. At school ( in 2016) I attained an E grade in maths. I retook it at college and got a D grade (in 2017), tried retaking it again as part of an Access course (in 2019) but dropped out of the GCSE maths midway to try getting better marks for the course itself and because any understanding of maths was forgotten, as such I struggled with it and became very stressed which was affecting my mental health. I passed the Access course and now halfway through my 1st year in uni studying business management (marketing) 4 years full time with a year in industry.

As part of the Access course, one of the key skills was Maths at level 2 (GCSE pass equivalence). Now my question is how should I put this on my CV.

1. 3 GCSE's Grades A* - C including English

2. 4 GCSE's Grades A* - D including English and Maths.

3. Put 3 GCSE's including English but underneath state that I have a maths equivalence.

When I contacted my uni (in regards to a different course) during the access course they said for entry requirements that they classify the maths equivalence as pass to GCSE. Do employers class the key skills as equivalent to a C grade in GCSE?

Apologies for the lengthy writing but I thought it would give you a better understanding of my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
University of Strathclyde
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Ethan08)
Hello,

At school I didn't do well at GCSE's, as a consequence I only had 3 GCSE's grades A*- C including English. Most of the other subjects (options chosen at year 9) were B-tech's which passed all of them.

I have never been good with math, I'm just one of the unlucky ones who doesn't get maths no matter how hard I try. At school ( in 2016) I attained an E grade in maths. I retook it at college and got a D grade (in 2017), tried retaking it again as part of an Access course (in 2019) but dropped out of the GCSE maths midway to try getting better marks for the course itself and because any understanding of maths was forgotten, as such I struggled with it and became very stressed which was affecting my mental health. I passed the Access course and now halfway through my 1st year in uni studying business management (marketing) 4 years full time with a year in industry.

As part of the Access course, one of the key skills was Maths at level 2 (GCSE pass equivalence). Now my question is how should I put this on my CV.

1. 3 GCSE's Grades A* - C including English

2. 4 GCSE's Grades A* - D including English and Maths.

3. Put 3 GCSE's including English but underneath state that I have a maths equivalence.

When I contacted my uni (in regards to a different course) during the access course they said for entry requirements that they classify the maths equivalence as pass to GCSE. Do employers class the key skills as equivalent to a C grade in GCSE?

Apologies for the lengthy writing but I thought it would give you a better understanding of my situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Hey Ethan08 ! I think it could be an idea just to be transparent here, and also note your Maths Level 2 qualification.
You could maybe go for:
4 GCSEs Grades A* - D (including English and Maths)
Additional qualification Maths - Level 2 pass

If I'm completely honest I'm no pro at writing CVs (so not sure what the best format is) but I think English & Maths can be key skills for some employers so it may do you more harm to leave it out. Noting that you do have it at GCSE, as well as your Level 2 qualification is definitely worth considering. It depends on what sort of role/employer you're going for, and some may not even be too concerned with your GCSEs at all, but you'd rather them have the info and not need it- rather than to need it and they assume you don't have it!

Take care and best of luck with the job hunt!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Ethan08
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by University of Strathclyde)
Hey Ethan08 ! I think it could be an idea just to be transparent here, and also note your Maths Level 2 qualification.
You could maybe go for:
4 GCSEs Grades A* - D (including English and Maths)
Additional qualification Maths - Level 2 pass

If I'm completely honest I'm no pro at writing CVs (so not sure what the best format is) but I think English & Maths can be key skills for some employers so it may do you more harm to leave it out. Noting that you do have it at GCSE, as well as your Level 2 qualification is definitely worth considering. It depends on what sort of role/employer you're going for, and some may not even be too concerned with your GCSEs at all, but you'd rather them have the info and not need it- rather than to need it and they assume you don't have it!

Take care and best of luck with the job hunt!
- Caitlin
Official University of Strathclyde Rep
Hi Caitlin,

Thank you for your reply, I contacted the employability team at my uni and they said it was tricky situation as even though maths level 2 is equivalent to GCSE, it's not a GCSE. They also said what you said and to put the level 2 maths as an additional separate qualification. I totally agree that maths and English are key skills for employers and that's why finding a clear answer is essential. I've researched around how to put in on a cv, and unfortunately there's not much info around or one's which are reliable. For example, some people on forums said they put it as a GCSE as its equivalent, some said that it should be separate.

I think I will follow your advice as it seems the most reasonable. Thank you .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (218)
43.6%
I'm worried that I'm not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (56)
11.2%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (38)
7.6%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as 'lesser' because I didn't take exams (106)
21.2%
I don't think that receiving these grades will impact my future (55)
11%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (27)
5.4%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed