Politically participating members of TSR, where do you think your views originated?

Watch
SHallowvale
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
I’m sorry to here that. I hope you’re in the mend now. Started the long journey or recovery and/or adjusting to dealing with it.

I know it can be difficult, and fortunately we as a society are becoming more aware of the issues affecting MH, more aware of MH and more supportive of MH. I’ve recently had issues myself. 10 or 15 years back o would never able dared to mention them. Now there’s no shame.

I’ve had personal experience of the MHA at play with both friends and family. I realise that for the person directly involved it can be repressive. For those loved ones around the person directly involved it can be a relief for those others involved.

The MHA isn’t invoked lightly. It’s only ever invoked when there’s a severe risk of the individual causing harm to either themselves or to others.

I’ve seen it used twice. Once with a cousin who at the time had undiagnosed bi polar disorder. The second was to a very good friend who we didn’t know if he would end up killing him self other deciding to kill others in the process.
What's MHA?
Starship Trooper
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SHallowvale)
What's MHA?
Mental Health Act
TCA2b
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I instinctively value a form of hierarchy (not the blind obedience/acceptance sort), a form of patriotism/in-group preference, have never really found egalitarian views (particularly the "privilege" crap) compelling and I also don't tend to accept things as true simply because of who it is saying them. I don't tend to care for arguments premised on anecdotes/emotional appeals. Fashionable leftist views, but even the mainstream right wing "compassionate conservative" twaddle, all fall afoul across all those dimensions, so I don't really care much for them and they have little of interest to me.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What's MHA?
Mental health act
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
Mental Health Act
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
Mental health act
Ah right, thank you. Not heard about the MHA before.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ah right, thank you. Not heard about the MHA before.
It’s also know as being sectioned.

Not perfect. Probably needs looking at again in greater detail, but an improvement on its predecessor .
SHallowvale
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I wouldn't know exactly where my political beliefs come from, but I expect they'd come from a combination of my upbringing, my lifestyle, my past experiences, my financial position, etc.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Starship Trooper)
You're a kiwi right? What party do you vote for there?
British actually, although i hold a NZL passport

Labour, alas, the centrist party here is a non entity run by someone who wanted to kill every bodies kittens and the National Party (NZ's tories) had the most offensively bad year it would have been a crime to vote for them - 3 separate leaders stabbed in the back in quick succession and the present leader being fairly unelectable herself.
Bit of a shame really, whilst Jacinda is a much more personable type of politician she has no real policies (or at least none she ever implemented) but had to vote for someone so the least bad got it - a view that seems quite prevalent amongst those even in Wellington that is about as lefty as you can get :lol:
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
British actually, although i hold a NZL passport

Labour, alas, the centrist party here is a non entity run by someone who wanted to kill every bodies kittens and the National Party (NZ's tories) had the most offensively bad year it would have been a crime to vote for them - 3 separate leaders stabbed in the back in quick succession and the present leader being fairly unelectable herself.
Bit of a shame really, whilst Jacinda is a much more personable type of politician she has no real policies (or at least none she ever implemented) but had to vote for someone so the least bad got it - a view that seems quite prevalent amongst those even in Wellington that is about as lefty as you can get :lol:
Jacinda being all personality should not be a shock given that she was a Blair staffer.

Though it's notable that in the past decade Australia and New Zealand between them have produced two British born PM's and a Westminster SPAD as PM.
jackmarshal757
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Life experiences, religion, interests, background. It all started when I became interested in the news as young as 7, I would watch the news and engage with it and would tell my parents the news every night at dinner. By 10 years old I started watching PMQs and was interested in the goings on in Parliament. I started watching C-SPAN when I was 15. I’m now 18 and heavily invested in politics.
imlikeahermit
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Seeing the area around me, and areas close by filled with people with no ambition, no real life, no common sense and no pride, which has been stripped away by liberal values brought to this country which removed all need for any of the above. I wanted better, and I got so much better, because I worked ****ing hard for it.

I despise the left for letting the people are the bottom of the food chain have excuse after excuse for not getting on with their own lives. Left wing politics consistently removes entrepreneurship and the will to achieve. I saw that more around the area I grew up in, and as a result grew to strongly dislike liberal politics because all I saw was people given excuse after excuse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (62)
12.89%
Virtual campus tours/open days (112)
23.28%
Live streaming events (44)
9.15%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (46)
9.56%
A uni comparison tool (109)
22.66%
An in-person event when available (108)
22.45%