raptors2018
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I joined a mid-tier audit firm in September and have basically come to the conclusion that audit is not for me. I thought I could balance the demands of studying for my ACA qualification & a full-time job, but I was wrong. I also think remote working has made it incredibly difficult to learn and I feel like I'm just struggling as a whole, both professionally and mentally.

For that reason, I decided to start looking for a new job. I just got an offer today and so I'm planning on quitting. My contract says I must give 2 weeks notice if I quit before my 6 month probationary period (which is March 1st). However, I have no idea how to go about this. Do I give them the 2 weeks or go the extra mile and give them 4 weeks so I leave on relatively good terms? I'm due to start this new job in March so ideally I'd like to have a few days to a week in between.

I'm also very nervous about handing my notice in. Do I just set up a call with HR and let them know what's up or do I just send my notice via email?
Fayzan_Ali
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
What is the new job?
K1NE
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by raptors2018)
I joined a mid-tier audit firm in September and have basically come to the conclusion that audit is not for me. I thought I could balance the demands of studying for my ACA qualification & a full-time job, but I was wrong. I also think remote working has made it incredibly difficult to learn and I feel like I'm just struggling as a whole, both professionally and mentally.

For that reason, I decided to start looking for a new job. I just got an offer today and so I'm planning on quitting. My contract says I must give 2 weeks notice if I quit before my 6 month probationary period (which is March 1st). However, I have no idea how to go about this. Do I give them the 2 weeks or go the extra mile and give them 4 weeks so I leave on relatively good terms? I'm due to start this new job in March so ideally I'd like to have a few days to a week in between.

I'm also very nervous about handing my notice in. Do I just set up a call with HR and let them know what's up or do I just send my notice via email?
Hey,

Congrats on your new role. Hope it's much more in line with your career goals.

I would have thought you speak to your line manager about leaving ? They will then sort out things with HR.

I personally wouldn't worry about leaving in 4 weeks or 2 weeks. If your new job wants you to start in March, just take the 2 week leave and have some time to rest and relax before your new role, so you're more energised for it ?

On the whole, I don't think people can have a bad impression if you leave and give 2 weeks notice. The probation period is for you to see if the company is a right fit for you or the company to see if you're a right fit for them. You're still in your probation period, so perfectly fine to leave with that reason. People from the audit firm shouldn't take it personally, you just have to do what's right for you, which is totally fair.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by raptors2018)

I would just send notice via email. If you don't require a reference from them, just give the 2 week minimum notice and you're out of there. Be polite in your email but make it clear when you last working day will be.
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I wouldn't worry too much about giving the extra notice. If they ask then consider it - but you are pretty junior still and they should be able to cover your work and give the experience to ongoing staff. Good luck in your new job!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (596)
49.17%
No (616)
50.83%

Watched Threads