AQA English Lit question on Jekyll and Hyde.

Watch
Alexa6315
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have to do an exam on a question about how good and evil is presented in Jekyll and Hyde.
Does anyone know any key ideas or quotes I can use in my answer to help me improve my answer?
Thank you!
Englishteacher24
Badges: 9
Report 2 months ago
Duality is a key theme:

• You could consider how duality is presented in characters (e.g. the contrast between outer appearances, and the inner, repressed truth). You could comment on characters who have a firmer grasp of their desires, such as Utterson, and less controlled characters, such as Jekyll.
  • You could comment on how Hyde is created in response to society and its unwavering emphasis on morality and denying the immoral capacity of humankind. It is Jekyll's worry about public perception and his reputation that led to his repression and ultimately the scientific experiment which birthed Hyde.
  • You could consider how setting reinforces the duality of characters and Stevenson's message about the innate duality of the human soul e.g. you could comment on how the lab and Jekyll's home are connected, despite the appearance of separation, or how the setting of Soho is at odds with the interior of Hyde's home.
Eoioioi34
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
good vs evil is one of the main themes in the book.
-Jekyll and Hyde are an allegory for the good and evil in all of us- mans dual nature
-Jekyll on Hyde- "alone in the ranks of mankind, pure evil"
-at another point this quote is written "Mr. Hyde broke out...with ape-like fury" - primitive behaviour
-Enfield describes Jekyll as "one of your fellows who do what they call good"

Here are some quotes from Jekyll's letter-
- "that man is not truly one but truly two"
- "and yet when i looked upon that ugly idol in the glass … This, too, was myself"
- "was because all human beings, as we meet them, are commingled out of good and evil"
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (147)
4.89%
Uncertainty around my education (443)
14.73%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (338)
11.24%
Lack of purpose or motivation (419)
13.93%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (140)
4.66%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (181)
6.02%
Loneliness (258)
8.58%
Financial worries (109)
3.62%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (123)
4.09%
Exposure to negative news/social media (136)
4.52%
Lack of real life entertainment (163)
5.42%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (266)
8.85%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (284)
9.44%

Watched Threads