The Student Room Group

Psychology MSc Vs Counselling and Psychotherapy MA

Hi guys,

I'm looking for any advice that anyone might be able to give. I'm a mature arts graduate looking to make a career change to working in mental health.

I've done a fair bit of research and have been accepted into Psychology MSc conversion distance course for Northumbria and waiting to hear back from Glasgow and Leicester. My original goal was to eventually pursue the counselling psychology doctorate after my MSc and gaining some further experience, however after reading posts on here and more research I'm also considering the MA at Leeds in Psychotherapy and Counselling.

My issue isn't the length of time involved with either option, to get onto the MA at Leeds I would still need to complete a year of level 3 counselling studies and then substantial supervised hours even after the 3 yr MA to become accredited (albeit only by BACP). My partner is not British and we've been planning to move abroad, most likely back to his home country South Africa, due to family reasons. This is where my quandary lies. Obviously I have a limited amount of masters funding from the UK which I want to use wisely. Am I better off doing the psychology masters in the UK and then continuing my counselling psychology training in South Africa? Or am I better off doing the MA at Leeds and having some sort of employability. My main concern is that psychotherapists aren't a protected position in the UK, let alone abroad and I want to spend my master's funding well. Hope that makes sense!
Reply 1
Original post by Ponyo2
Hi guys,

I'm looking for any advice that anyone might be able to give. I'm a mature arts graduate looking to make a career change to working in mental health.

I've done a fair bit of research and have been accepted into Psychology MSc conversion distance course for Northumbria and waiting to hear back from Glasgow and Leicester. My original goal was to eventually pursue the counselling psychology doctorate after my MSc and gaining some further experience, however after reading posts on here and more research I'm also considering the MA at Leeds in Psychotherapy and Counselling.

My issue isn't the length of time involved with either option, to get onto the MA at Leeds I would still need to complete a year of level 3 counselling studies and then substantial supervised hours even after the 3 yr MA to become accredited (albeit only by BACP). My partner is not British and we've been planning to move abroad, most likely back to his home country South Africa, due to family reasons. This is where my quandary lies. Obviously I have a limited amount of masters funding from the UK which I want to use wisely. Am I better off doing the psychology masters in the UK and then continuing my counselling psychology training in South Africa? Or am I better off doing the MA at Leeds and having some sort of employability. My main concern is that psychotherapists aren't a protected position in the UK, let alone abroad and I want to spend my master's funding well. Hope that makes sense!

Have you looked into employability of counsellors and psychotherapists in South Africa? That would be my first step. Generally speaking, psychologists are more sought after in any country than psychotherapists. Also, consider the cost of studying the doctorate in South Africa, as well as availability of counselling psychology programs. If it were me, I'd probably go for the psychology MSc, purely because you can train as a counsellor/ psychotherapist after if you want to and still have the option to do the doctorate (I'm biased because I basically did this!). I'm currently training as a counsellor, but did a Psychology BSc and postgraduate qualification in psychological therapies before this as I want to do the Counselling Psychology doctorate, but enjoy the practical training as well. Best of both worlds, I guess!
Reply 2
Thank you! Yeah I think that is the best idea. I've been accepted to a few places for September so I'm 99% sure this is what I'll go for. I really appreciate the advice. I'll go and do a bit further research, but I think you're right in that employment prospects for Psychologists are probably greater. All the best in your counsellor training!

Quick Reply

Latest