Queen Mary University of London 2021 - Ask a student!

Watch
Queen Mary Student Ambassadors
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hi, everyone!

My name is Amaya, a medical student intercalating after 3rd year at QMUL. With many of you receiving offers from QMUL these days, and making decisions about which university to go to in September, I thought I'd make this thread so that you can ask any questions you might have about QMUL with regards to the academics, student life, accommodation, or anything else that you might want to know a bit more about.

Best of luck with your applications!

Amaya.
Nawaz_101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Queen Mary Student Ambassadors)
Hi, everyone!

My name is Amaya, a medical student intercalating after 3rd year at QMUL. With many of you receiving offers from QMUL these days, and making decisions about which university to go to in September, I thought I'd make this thread so that you can ask any questions you might have about QMUL with regards to the academics, student life, accommodation, or anything else that you might want to know a bit more about.

Best of luck with your applications!

Amaya.
hey Amaya...
thanks for offering help..

i just got offered a place at the MSc Comp-Sci program at QMUL.. considering ill be flying-in from India, i would need help with understanding the accommodation set up. While i did go through the website for the university's accommodation which looked decent, i wanted to understand and weight my options of an off-campus private accommodation. Also, considering the crazy commuting costs in London, wanted to understand what would be a good area to put up at which would be economical and convenient in terms of commuting and stay. Thanks again...
Rep:
?
(Original post by Nawaz_101)
hey Amaya...
thanks for offering help..

i just got offered a place at the MSc Comp-Sci program at QMUL.. considering ill be flying-in from India, i would need help with understanding the accommodation set up. While i did go through the website for the university's accommodation which looked decent, i wanted to understand and weight my options of an off-campus private accommodation. Also, considering the crazy commuting costs in London, wanted to understand what would be a good area to put up at which would be economical and convenient in terms of commuting and stay. Thanks again...
Nawaz_101 Hi, congratulations on your offer! As an MSc student you will be offered postgraduate accommodation in Mile End and Stratford. The Mile End accommodation is very close to campus (5-10 minute walk away) and the Stratford accommodation is about 10-15 minutes away on the tube, but bear in mind you would have to take the tube every day, even if it is for a short period of time. University accommodation is usually cheaper than private halls of residence or even than private flat sharing sometimes. I would recommend staying in university postgraduate accommodation because it is close to university, good value for money, and it will allow you to meet new people. If you do decide to live off campus in private accommodation, I would recommend staying around Mile End, Bow and Stratford, as these are close to campus and decent areas to live in.

Hope this helps,
Amaya.
Nawaz_101
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
thanks... l keep this in mind...
Rep:
?
This is a great thread for any questions you might have as future QM students! I’m a current MSc QM student and I also did my undergrad at QM so I’d be more than happy to answer any questions you have!

Maryam
Anonymous #1
Report 5 months ago
Which accommodation is best at Queen Mary?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Which accommodation is best at Queen Mary?
Hi! This will depend on what you prefer and perhaps what campus you are based at. There are undergraduate halls of residence on the main Mile End Campus for most students, and most of those rooms are ensuite. The location is very convenient because you will be on campus and have easy access to the gym, the campus shops, the labs and lecture theatres. Floyer and Dawson are halls for medical students, and they are also very close to the Whitechapel and Barbican campuses. Postgraduate students can live around the Mile End of Stratford area. Let me know if you have any specific questions about these!

Amaya.
TSR Student Ambassador
Medical student
shepu
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey! Does the university accommodation include any catered halls for postgrad students?
Rep:
?
(Original post by shepu)
Hey! Does the university accommodation include any catered halls for postgrad students?
Hello!

Postgraduate students joining Queen Mary in January 2021 will be guaranteed accommodation in one of our residences or one run by a partner!

Students who receive an offer of study will be emailed a link to register for accommodation upon accepting their place on the chosen degree programme and will be able to apply for accommodation via the applicant portal. The majority of our postgraduate accommodation is en-suite single bedrooms but there are a variety of options available depending on your budget.

Check out this link for more info! https://www.qmul.ac.uk/residences/co...accommodation/

Hope that helps!

Maryam
Rep:
?
(Original post by shepu)
Hello!

Postgraduate students joining Queen Mary in January 2021 will be guaranteed accommodation in one of our residences or one run by a partner.

Students who receive an offer of study will be emailed a link to register for accommodation upon accepting their place on the chosen degree programme and will be able to apply for accommodation via the applicant portal.

The majority of our postgraduate accommodation is en-suite single bedrooms but there are a variety of options available depending on your budget.

Check out this link for more info regarding accommodation!
https://www.qmul.ac.uk/residences/co...accommodation/

Hope that helps!
Maryam
nick32
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
hey how is the networking of queen mary?
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by nick32)
hey how is the networking of queen mary?
Hello nick32,

If you're talking about career networking, there are lots of great opportunities for QMUL students to network throughout their degree! QMUL is a very well-regarded Russel Group University, with the uni ranking among the top 20 unis targeted by employers in the UK! (https://www.qmul.ac.uk/media/news/20...d%20the%20NHS.)

Our award-winning careers department provides a number of opportunities and events throughout the year to help you network, such as dedicated subject-specific careers talks with panelists from extremely well-regarded companies and organisations, subject-specific employer fairs, where you can directly network and ask questions on campus, and a number of amazing insight and work experience schemes, such as Q Taster, which allows you to visit different types of employers and get a sense of what working life is like there! You can find out about all of the opportunities here: https://www.qmul.ac.uk/careers/jobs-and-experience/!

Hope this helps!

Matthew
QMUL Student Ambassador and TSR Representative
anonymous284
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
Hi,
I was wondering if QMUL participates in adjustment and clearing and whether it would be likely for law to be included in either of these?
Thank you
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
(Original post by anonymous284)
Hi,
I was wondering if QMUL participates in adjustment and clearing and whether it would be likely for law to be included in either of these?
Thank you
Hello!

Yes there are some courses that QMUL offers through adjustment and clearing! I’d advise that you contact the Law School directly to ask if they will be including Law in the 2021 options!

Maryam
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (43)
5.8%
Uncertainty around my education (84)
11.34%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (79)
10.66%
Lack of purpose or motivation (94)
12.69%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (39)
5.26%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (42)
5.67%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (80)
10.8%
Financial worries (50)
6.75%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (32)
4.32%
Exposure to negative news/social media (46)
6.21%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (24)
3.24%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (71)
9.58%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (57)
7.69%

Watched Threads