og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hello so I am choosing my GCSE options and I love history but I like geography I need to chose one can you guys help me as I want to do medicine which subject is better?
Okayn
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Geography is definitely more related to Science than history is. However, after doing Geography for a while I can say that there is barely anything related to medicine at all. I'm pretty sure it's the same for history. Geography, from my experience, has mostly been about natural hazards, migration, urban growth and things about ecosystems. In the end, it doesn't really matter. To do medicine you would need good grades for science and do Biology and/or Chemistry at A-Levels and get good grades there as well.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
username5235322
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Honestly picking neither matters for medicine. But I did geography and it was fantastic. I absolutely loved my teachers and my lessons. But I’m sad that I didn’t get the iron I also doing history with it because it was so fascinating and interesting too but far more writing. So totally up to you!
GCSE_Rockstar32
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Neither really matters. It's not about what you choose for GCSE's, but rather how you performed in them.
Choose the subject you really enjoy, and are quite good at
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by og-icon)
hello so I am choosing my GCSE options and I love history but I like geography I need to chose one can you guys help me as I want to do medicine which subject is better?
If you pick History, make sure you pick the "Medicine through time" module if it is available.
amy._.hehe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Hi!!
I'm year 10 doing history Edexcel GCSE. I don't think it really matters whether you do history/ geography for medicine (I think). However, you seem interested in medicine and in history ,if you cover it, you study medicine through time which explores different prevention methods, causes of disease, treatment and progression of medical knowledge throughout history starting at the Anglo saxons to a case study in world war one in the trenches I think? I haven't got there yet haha. I'm finding it really interested and if you're interested in medicine and like history then I'd say go for it
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by amy._.hehe)
Hi!!
I'm year 10 doing history Edexcel GCSE. I don't think it really matters whether you do history/ geography for medicine (I think). However, you seem interested in medicine and in history ,if you cover it, you study medicine through time which explores different prevention methods, causes of disease, treatment and progression of medical knowledge throughout history starting at the Anglo saxons to a case study in world war one in the trenches I think? I haven't got there yet haha. I'm finding it really interested and if you're interested in medicine and like history then I'd say go for it
thank you
amy._.hehe
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
thank you
You're welcome
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
you have probably came to a decision but I though id say that you should definitely go for history if your like it more. Medical schools won't care which you have... most only care about maths and English, and if its oxbridge, they just want to see high grades in whatever you do pick. The only things you need to pick for GCSE are triple science... but even that doesn't really matter. Only your A level choices will be looked at really
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CJField)
you have probably came to a decision but I though id say that you should definitely go for history if your like it more. Medical schools won't care which you have... most only care about maths and English, and if its oxbridge, they just want to see high grades in whatever you do pick. The only things you need to pick for GCSE are triple science... but even that doesn't really matter. Only your A level choices will be looked at really
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs... alongside Newcastle. They are the only 2 med schools which have absolutely no GCSE requirements.

On the other hand, Oxford (alongside Cardiff) are the two most GCSE-heavy med schools. Cardiff may even reject people with 9x Grade 9s. And Oxford's med applicants have an average of 8.2 A*s (Grade 8 / 9s) and their offer holders have an average of 10.2 A*s.

Leeds, Liverpool etc. are also very GCSE-heavy med schools. But many med schools will literally just ask for a baseline GCSE Grade 6 in English, Maths and the sciences (as long as you did 8 or 9 subjects) and then your GCSEs are not assessed further.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
CJField
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Cambridge don't care about GCSEs... alongside Newcastle. They are the only 2 med schools which have absolutely no GCSE requirements.

On the other hand, Oxford (alongside Cardiff) are the two most GCSE-heavy med schools. Cardiff may even reject people with 9x Grade 9s. And Oxford's med applicants have an average of 8.2 A*s (Grade 8 / 9s) and their offer holders have an average of 10.2 A*s.

Leeds, Liverpool etc. are also very GCSE-heavy med schools. But many med schools will literally just ask for a baseline GCSE Grade 6 in English, Maths and the sciences (as long as you did 8 or 9 subjects) and then your GCSEs are not assessed further.
my understanding for Cambridge was that they take a holistic approach to everything so Id assume they look at GCSE grades too... but the Cardiff were brutal this year! 1 grade 7 and u were out
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by CJField)
my understanding for Cambridge was that they take a holistic approach to everything so Id assume they look at GCSE grades too... but the Cardiff were brutal this year! 1 grade 7 and u were out
Cambridge specifically states this: There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five 7/8/9s at GCSE (an A is considered equivalent to 7 and an A* is considered equivalent to 8/9). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of 7/8/9s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

So if you are one of the miracle students who manages to get As, Bs and Cs in GCSEs but A-Level A*A*A (their standard offer), you'd still be OK.

This line (GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.) basically means they'd ask you at interview "Why did you have all Cs in GCSEs but your school has predicted that you have all A*s". You can at least explain yourself.

With a set of As and Bs at the "GCSE-heavy" med schools - you'd have no chance.
Last edited by ecolier; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is winning Euro 2020

France (88)
26.51%
England (110)
33.13%
Belgium (27)
8.13%
Germany (39)
11.75%
Spain (7)
2.11%