lydiarm5433
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Quick question, where is the best place to buy textbook for uni ? I’m going into my first year in September and have no clue where to buy textbooks from and I don’t want to spend mountains of money.
Pt162016
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hey, as a second year in uni, I didn't actually buy any of my textbooks until after my course started and we were given reading lists. most of the time, all required textbooks are available in the uni library and second year students who bought textbooks tend to start selling theirs as second hand to freshers for a cheaper price. I recommend using your library and a lot of the time many textbooks also have an online version available via your uni, so you don't have to pay either. In fact this year every single book I've needed I have used via the online version provided, especially since covid has meant better online and remote facilities.

I hope this helps !! and if you do want to buy textbooks, I recommend amazon
University of Liverpool Student Rep
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Hi there,

At Liverpool, we use 'Blackwells' and they're really good! They do a price match which is really useful.

I would refrain from buying textbooks until your lecturer states which one to get - as they may advise you where to get it from too. I'm only recommending this as there may be discounts / offers which will really benefit you

But if this is not applicable to you, Amazon usually have some offers & free delivery if you have prime! I know it's not a big saving - but every little helps.

Ana
University of Liverpool Rep.
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
Wait until you start uni. Your uni library might have them available online, or your lecturers might be able to get you discounts.

There might not even be any required textbooks.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
As above, wait until you start. Generally it's not worth buying textbooks at all, since your unis library should have any required textbooks (and many others besides). The only "set" texts which might be worth buying for uni is if you are on a literature degree, and you can get cheap Penguin Classics editions of the set texts or something, as then you can annotate your own text. For other subjects (especially STEM subjects) it's almost never worth buying a ~£120 textbook that you might use for one module and never again (especially as they are also usually very large texts which aren't convenient to lug to and from campus).

If you absolutely have to buy a textbook, check first which edition is needed, or if any is fine (often you can get older editions as used copies cheaper) and b) whether any current students are interested in selling theirs or if you can find any copies in charity shops etc. But in my experience of uni in the UK, I've never had to buy a textbook, just literary texts on occasions. The times I have bought a textbook I usually found it was unnecessary and I didn't use it that much...

However buying cheaper revision material texts can often be worthwhile. In STEM subjects for example the Schaum's Outlines books are usually very cheap, and have lots of worked problems and problems with worked solutions to work through and practice on. These can be good for exam prep without breaking the bank. Not sure if there are really analogues for other subjects (I don't think e.g. sparknotes are really going to cut it by uni level ) though!
martin7
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lydiarm5433)
Quick question, where is the best place to buy textbook for uni ? I’m going into my first year in September and have no clue where to buy textbooks from and I don’t want to spend mountains of money.
Universities tend to have bookshops on or near campus that stock course books. For some you may be able to order online, but be aware that because academic books have limited print runs they may not be significantly cheaper.

Before you buy books, make sure you know how much use you'll be making of them. Some books you don't really need to purchase; whereas others might be ones you'll need to refer to regularly throughout the whole year (or even your whole course) and it makes sense to get your own personal copy of.

Another thing to watch out for is if a specific edition of a book is stated. In some cases it might not matter if you get the 4th edition (say) instead of the 5th edition. In other cases having the wrong edition would be a problem. If in doubt, check with the lecturer concerned.
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by lydiarm5433)
Hiya lydiarm5433,

In my first year I bought one textbook through the university as they offered a 15% discount through their partnered book seller.
However, for the rest of my textbooks I have hired them from the uni and kept renewing them until I need to hand them back, or bought them second hand from ebay where they have been a lot cheaper!

Make sure you check on your university's online library first to see if they have an online e-copy of the textbook you're interested in to save yourself money. I wanted to get textbook before joining university but it worked out best waiting a few weeks when in term 1 to then check what core readings are recommend and firstly if they were on the physical/online library resource, and if not I would have a look on ebay.

I always have found the recommended core textbooks suggested for each module to apply and be very useful.

Sam- Official Student Rep
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.77%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.69%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (68)
20.92%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.46%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.85%

Watched Threads