The Student Room Group

Why are black people intimidating?

Now, I’m a black person. Well...75% black. 25% European.

One thing I don’t understand is why do some people find black people in general intimidating?

Not the black people who dress formally. But just an average looking blacks person whose only difference to other races in terms of looks is their skin. Their clothes are the same, no difference anywhere else.

I’m asking this because people have called me intimidating. My girlfriend also later admitted in our relationship that she found me to be intimidating before I actually approached her (she’s not black).

So, to my fellow student room fellows, what’s your take on this?

Assuming this fear is real, can you class it as racism?

Scroll to see replies

Break up with your girlfriend, She is racist and stereotypical. Also how big, bulky, and tall are you. People should not be intimidated and they should stop being stereotypical. I'm going to bring my gang over next time this happens. I'm 90% black and 5% Scottish and 5% Irish so you can take my advice to heart.
(edited 3 years ago)
Imo, the culture overshadows you all. Rap culture that is. I feel as though 99.9% are generally pleased by it. And associate with it, with being a gangster and rapping and trapping and whatnot. It certainly make the pussi wet, and therefore, black people don’t, or extremely rarely disassociate from it.
With time perceptions become concrete stereotypes and so on so forth.

That said, I believe a lot of the latent talents and individuality is lost due to idolisation of prominent figures involved in the aforementioned activities. Understandably tho the lifestyle image the portray and the panunani that you get to smash is certainly appealing enough to idolise.
Although Impossible, I do wish there was a way for people to stop idolising these people. Such a shame there are little to no role models nowadays.
I'd say it's largely down to ignorance, not necessarily malicious but generally people are afraid of things they don't know. So, if for example, they grew up in a predominately white neighbourhood they might not have had much contact with people from different ethnicities and only see stereotypes from the media.

As an example, my mother grew up in an isolated Welsh village and didn't see a non-white person until she was 18. She said she found them scary/fascinating at the same time. She has since spent most of her life in a very diverse city and isn't the least bit racist.
I wouldn't say she finds you intimidating out of active choice, and therefore I wouldn't go anywhere near as far to say shes a bad person or that you should break up with her. I'd also hesitate to call her racist... I mean sure it's a trait of racism but you're kind of demonising someone for something they can't control if you do.. you know?

I dunno man, I think people find black people intimidating because of the strong community culture, which is both a good and bad thing. For example, strong community is great when you're having a good time with family and friends and whatever - but on the flip side when paired with teenage increased emotional volatility creates some pretty bad 'gang' imitation in the youth. I'm asian man, I have a lot of asians try to be my pals when I go to new colleges / schools and so on, but since I was raised in a single parent (who was white) household, I don't have that same group mentality ygm? I guess I've just noticed it first hand.

I think that's why the stereotype tends to be that gangs in the UK are generally albanian, black or asian - just how the culture has it's ups and downs. I mean you rarely see many white gangs... I think in terms of youth culture white (boys) are going the opposite way, lot's of sadboy aesthetics have blown up recently along with curtained hair.. without being too racist myself, I think they're all trying to look the same :giggle:

But yeah man, I wouldn't say it's her fault at all, and I wouldn't do what a lot of people might recommend and 'educate it out of her'... that's some weird indoctrination stuff... every culture has it's biases.
What dies 'dislike of poor people' have to do with his race ?
US BLACK PEOPLE ARE TAKING OVER YOU! BLACK PEOPLE are the BEST
You should change the ****ing title.

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

Because Black people are more likely to be in poverty than other races.
Original post by Wannabevetnurse
You should change the ****ing title.

Spoiler

But that isn't his question.
Original post by glassalice
Because Black people are more likely to be in poverty than other races.

I disagree tbh .. If you have a degree you'll get a job decent regardless of your race
Now, I’m a black person. Well...75% black. 25% European.

One thing I don’t understand is why do some people find black people in general intimidating?

Not the black people who dress formally. But just an average looking blacks person whose only difference to other races in terms of looks is their skin. Their clothes are the same, no difference anywhere else.

I’m asking this because people have called me intimidating. My girlfriend also later admitted in our relationship that she found me to be intimidating before I actually approached her (she’s not black).

So, to my fellow student room fellows, what’s your take on this?

Assuming this fear is real, can you class it as racism?

ur girlfriend is racist bi**h and im a black girl and im not indimatading thts wht most ppl who are not blck call us tht even a teacher called me tht and i got angry so im tellin ur girl is racist

black are not poor who ever u are
I disagree tbh .. If you have a degree you'll get a job decent regardless of your race

Statistically they are right that black people tend to be poorer: https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/personalandhouseholdfinances/incomeandwealth/articles/householdwealthbyethnicitygreatbritain/april2016tomarch2018
i only find the tall ones intimidating but tbh i find anyone tall intimidating cos im such a ****ing short ass
Ideally, black people should not be intimidating to any other race. Just because of stereotypical views.

Is it racism that your girlfriend is intimidated by you? Yes & no. This is a difficult one because If we are talking about justice and equality here, if she is failing to understand that all black peoples are not the same then that’s when racism can come in.

However, if she is intimidated by just you as a person and not the actual race then that wouldn’t be racism.
Original post by CaptainDuckie
Ideally, black people should not be intimidating to any other race. Just because of stereotypical views.

Is it racism that your girlfriend is intimidated by you? Yes & no. This is a difficult one because If we are talking about justice and equality here, if she is failing to understand that all black peoples are not the same then that’s when racism can come in.

However, if she is intimidated by just you as a person and not the actual race then that wouldn’t be racism.

thts true
Is this even true?

I think it depends on how the person grew up? Find out what her experience is ?

E.g. for me, so many intelligent and kind people around have been black, so I couldn't even imagine being scared of someone just because of their race - Height however is a different story, whether your any color someone who's tall intimidates me
Racism, social conditioning, portrayal in popular culture, previous experience.. may all play a part.

Personally I find groups of young men intimidating, primarily due to past experience of violence and current experience of vocal threats and intimidation. Our emotional responses are a mix of social conditioning and personal experience. But we all have a choice about how we deal with those feelings.
Nobody wants to say the truth...so I won't say anything either :noway:

Latest

Trending

Trending