My answer for Jekyll and Hyde Question

Watch this thread
Alexa6315
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just finished writing my assessment that I have to submit on the question 'How is good and evil presented in Jekyll and Hyde'.
Is this answer good enough as I feel it doesn't really make sense?

Assessment:
In the extract, Stevenson presents the ideas of good and evil when Jekyll states he ‘sold a slave to my original evil’. Stevenson uses this metaphor to highlight how Hyde inside him caused him to lose control and become destructive, making Jekyll seem like the victim in all this. However, Jekyll also states it ‘delighted’ him like fine wine. ‘Delighted’ emphasises how Jekyll enjoys the evil inside him, showing the audience that Jekyll is an unreliable narrator who doesn't say the whole truth. Stevenson may have done this to highlight how Victorian gentlemen would keep their deepest desires to themselves, suggesting that Hyde could have merely been a disguise for Jekyll to indulge in his temptations and escape the dull life he was living in. This makes the readers question who really is the evil one in this novel.

Later on in the extract, Hyde is again described as ‘evil’. He is however, described like this by Jekyll, who is an unreliable narrator. Jekyll said he had a life of ‘effort, virtue and control’. This suggests he had kept his dark and evil nature under control for most of his life. It completely contrasts from when Jekyll could no longer keep Hyde under control when he clubbed Sir Danvers Carew to death. Hyde's body is described as ‘deformity and decay’. This emphasises how inhumane and monstrous Hyde might look like. It links to the reactions of other people who had encountered Hyde in the novel, and how they all had an instant ‘loathing’ and hatred towards him. At the end of the extract, Jekyll states that Hyde is ‘pure evil’. The use of ‘pure’ could hint at the possibility of Jekyll having some sort of admiration towards Hyde because he is more purer than him.

In the novel as a whole, Hyde is presented as an evil character. This is shown when he suddenly ‘broke out’ and with ‘ape-like fury’, and clubbed Carew to death. ‘Broke out’ highlights that Hyde had been contained and trapped for too long which resulted in him killing Carew. ‘Ape-like’ also emphasises Hyde's primitive and animal-like behaviour and links to when he ‘trampled calmly’ over a little girl. Stevenson might have used two vulnerable people as victims of Hyde's crimes to add more fear to the readers and make him seem more menacing.

However, Stevenson also presents Jekyll as an arrogant and untrustworthy character. He had begun to ‘profit’ from his immunities’. This emphasises how he is immune and above the law, almost like a god, clearly showing his cleverness and arrogance. It contrasts from what a ‘slave’ should feel like as it's a man who knows exactly what he's doing. Jekyll also separated himself from Hyde saying it was ‘Hyde alone’ that was guilty when in reality, Hyde is a part of him that's separated into a different person. This makes Jekyll seem very dishonest as he shows no responsibility for his actions and denies any possibility of him being involved.

In the whole of the novel, Stevenson represents good and evil when Jekyll admits he ‘concealed his pleasures’. Stevenson highlights the ideas of repression in this quote, emphasising that Hyde was created in response to the Victorian society. Jekyll's worry about public perception and fear of his reputation being ruined had led to his repression and resulted in Jekyll creating Hyde as an escape without worrying about getting caught. He might be giving the readers a message that both good and evil live inside of us and shouldn’t be separated, however during the Victorian era, the evil is the one being repressed by society.
16fgohar
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
This was good but you should use more quotations which supports the evil and good such as:
'Satan's signature upon a face'
'my devil was long caged..it came out roaring'
Other than this it was good : )
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads