Should I reduce my calorie deficit or continue for fat-loss/muscle growth?

Watch
14t
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Body stats
Female, 18, 166cm, 59.4kg, waist circumference 75cm.

I've lost 20kg so far and the healthy weight range for my height according to the NHS is 51kg - 68.9kg so I'm bang in the middle but I still have quite a lot of body fat which I'd like to lose.

I exercise like 5x a week, 15mins HIIT and 40mins strength (dumbells, ankle weights, bodyweight and resistance bands) and eat around 1600calories (I don't track calories but I have a good idea from when I used to use MFP and obviously I have been in a deficit because I've lost weight)

As I'm in the healthy weight range but still want to lose fat, should I think about increasing calories a little or not? What I'm currently eating feels sustainable so keeping my deficit is fine but increasing calories (protein especially) can increase muscle growth or something right?
Also, I can't really do proper progressive overload because I don't have a gym and don't have the funds for getting more weights.
So yeah if anyone has any advice I'm all ears!
Advertisement
Dax_Swagg3r
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Eat at maintenance and at least 1.6g or protein per kg of bodyweight.
Here's a bodyweight program:
https://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightf...mended_routine
Do this instead of your 'strength work' and do swap out HIIT for LISS.
JaseyB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
If you are still losing weight with your currant intake I wouldn't reduce it any further, I didn't really get the body composition that I wanted until I was at the lower end of the healthy weight range according to the NHS websites BMI calculator. Even then it took some more time but without losing anymore weight.
If you are trying to sculpt a particular physique it really is a marathon the tortoise not the hare type of situation, if/when you reach the lower end of the healthy weight, you want to start increasing calories slightly so you are no longer losing weight and keep slightly adjusting it as the more you work out the more you are going to need those extra calories.
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
If you are still losing weight with your currant intake I wouldn't reduce it any further, I didn't really get the body composition that I wanted until I was at the lower end of the healthy weight range according to the NHS websites BMI calculator. Even then it took some more time but without losing anymore weight.
If you are trying to sculpt a particular physique it really is a marathon the tortoise not the hare type of situation, if/when you reach the lower end of the healthy weight, you want to start increasing calories slightly so you are no longer losing weight and keep slightly adjusting it as the more you work out the more you are going to need those extra calories.
a thankyou! just realised my title was wrong, meant to ask if i should increase or keep my current calories!! think id die if i reduced it haha. do you mind explaining what your process was at the point when you were at the lower end "Even then it took some more time but without losing anymore weight.' that bit in terms of calories/training?
JaseyB
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by 14t)
a thankyou! just realised my title was wrong, meant to ask if i should increase or keep my current calories!! think id die if i reduced it haha. do you mind explaining what your process was at the point when you were at the lower end "Even then it took some more time but without losing anymore weight.' that bit in terms of calories/training?
Sure I wanted to achieve a body composition, of low fat % so that I could get more defined muscles. I had gotten my weight down to the lower end of what it said was the healthy so far down that I was only about 2-3lbs away from entering the underweight category, however I still didn't have the correct definition I was aiming for so I had to adjust my calories to make sure I wasn't losing anymore weight whilst carrying on with my then current exercise regime.
Mainly to allow things like the skin to snap back into place and to allow my body fat% to keep loweing without losing anymore weight.
Advertisement
14t
Rep:
?
(Original post by JaseyB)
Sure I wanted to achieve a body composition, of low fat % so that I could get more defined muscles. I had gotten my weight down to the lower end of what it said was the healthy so far down that I was only about 2-3lbs away from entering the underweight category, however I still didn't have the correct definition I was aiming for so I had to adjust my calories to make sure I wasn't losing anymore weight whilst carrying on with my then current exercise regime.
Mainly to allow things like the skin to snap back into place and to allow my body fat% to keep loweing without losing anymore weight.
ah ok! so you did that by increasing calories (and protein I'm assuming?)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%