Curly hair styling

Watch
isobel-M16
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
I recently permed my hair and it is shoulder length. I'm not sure however what gel to use as I don't like when it goes crunchy.
Does anyone have any recommendations for what gel to use (preferably ones you can get in Superdrug) or any other styling tips.
Thanks
Chloecourtney
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I'm not sure what style the gel is for, but I have naturally curly hair. If I'm just wanting to make my curls look tidier or enhance them ill usually use a bit of mousse and oil
isobel-M16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Chloecourtney)
I'm not sure what style the gel is for, but I have naturally curly hair. If I'm just wanting to make my curls look tidier or enhance them ill usually use a bit of mousse and oil
Thanks, I'm a bit new to this and my friends recommend gel but I never really liked using it. Thanks for the advice.
emmab13
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I use Umberto Giannini curl jelly - it's in a pink tube.
Scrunch it through your hair while still wet and leave to dry naturally or use a diffuser then scrunch it out.
Most gels go at least a bit crispy because they're forming a cast around your curls and keeping them defined while your hair dries. The 'scrunching' part of the process is the most important really. I would definitely recommend reading up on the 'Curly Girl Method' for more tips
Final Fantasy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
My hair is like that naturally, let's swap please. I want straight hair.
isobel-M16
Rep:
?
(Original post by Final Fantasy)
My hair is like that naturally, let's swap please. I want straight hair.
My hair wasn't exactly straight before lol it was like a lions mane when I woke up but I wanted a change so I cut it all off till shoulder length and permed it. It looks and feels so much better now lol. I hated my hair, especially when I straightened it. It was so fine that it looked horrible. lol Do you have any tips for me?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by isobel-M16)
My hair wasn't exactly straight before lol it was like a lions mane when I woke up but I wanted a change so I cut it all off till shoulder length and permed it. It looks and feels so much better now lol. I hated my hair, especially when I straightened it. It was so fine that it looked horrible. lol Do you have any tips for me?
I've started using As I Am products for my wavy/perm type hair. I use the coconut cowash, leave in conditioner and sometimes that shea butter moisturiser thing. I made a thread about it before here, you can check it out, I had lots of tips and advice on how people are managing their hair routine for this type of hair.
purple.rose
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Imbue have some highly rated curly hair products so u can check those out in superdrug. Also John Frieda has a curl mousse that many ppl seem to use. I use herbal essences bee strong conditioner and dry my hair with a T-shirt rather than a towel and that calms some of the frizz so yeah hope this helps!
Truflais
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by purple.rose)
Imbue have some highly rated curly hair products so u can check those out in superdrug. Also John Frieda has a curl mousse that many ppl seem to use. I use herbal essences bee strong conditioner and dry my hair with a T-shirt rather than a towel and that calms some of the frizz so yeah hope this helps!
I like John Frieda's curly range. Also agree with the t-shirt for drying. Sleeping with your hair in a silk scarf or cap helps reduce frizz too
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi do any of you experience hair loss or any particular products/ingredients to watch out for to avoid damaging hair and hair loss?
purple.rose
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hi do any of you experience hair loss or any particular products/ingredients to watch out for to avoid damaging hair and hair loss?
Loreal's 'no haircut cream' is good for protecting hair and shampoos/conditioners from herbal essences are great. Basically try to use less products and heat on your hair. I'm Asian and we swear by using oils for thick, healthy hair - personally really like almond because it isn't too thick and doesn't have an overly strong smell. You can apply it as a mask and then wash it out. So yeah find what works for you and good luck bc I know how hard it is to lose hair
Don Raul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My hair is naturally curly/wavy. And I love my curls, gives me character. But I like using foxy curls contour cream.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by purple.rose)
Loreal's 'no haircut cream' is good for protecting hair and shampoos/conditioners from herbal essences are great. Basically try to use less products and heat on your hair. I'm Asian and we swear by using oils for thick, healthy hair - personally really like almond because it isn't too thick and doesn't have an overly strong smell. You can apply it as a mask and then wash it out. So yeah find what works for you and good luck bc I know how hard it is to lose hair
The problem I have with applying oil is that it just makes it more greasy and doesn't feel comfortable. Idk if it's just my hair is bad or not or what I need to change.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Don Raul)
My hair is naturally curly/wavy. And I love my curls, gives me character. But I like using foxy curls contour cream.
Do you experience a lot of hair loss?
Don Raul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nah, why. I have a full head of hair.
Don Raul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It does cause dandruff though.
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Nah, why. I have a full head of hair.
I'm not sure, I feel like the front of my head is losing hair. I'm gonna try some new products and medicines I ordered, but it has cost me over 100 quid only for like 1 month supply...
Don Raul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm not sure, I feel like the front of my head is losing hair. I'm gonna try some new products and medicines I ordered, but it has cost me over 100 quid only for like 1 month supply...
Woah! £100! That's crazy. How old are you?
Final Fantasy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Woah! £100! That's crazy. How old are you?
Well, I ordered minoxidil off Amazon, as well as biotin supplements, and also ordered finesteride off SuperDrug (automated prescription) - they will arrive tomorrow, but yeah... the medicines are 1 month supply and the supplements are 90 days supply. Here's my thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6903786&page=3
Don Raul
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Well, I ordered minoxidil off Amazon, as well as biotin supplements, and also ordered finesteride off SuperDrug (automated prescription) - they will arrive tomorrow, but yeah... the medicines are 1 month supply and the supplements are 90 days supply. Here's my thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6903786&page=3
It might just be genetics. And good idea. I hear finasteride stops any further hair loss from occurring if you start from early. You have a 1% chance of catching side effects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (71)
12.14%
Virtual campus tours/open days (142)
24.27%
Live streaming events (51)
8.72%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (55)
9.4%
A uni comparison tool (136)
23.25%
An in-person event when available (130)
22.22%