Saif_e92
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Teaching standards?

Is there any advantage one has over the other in terms of employability?

If you’re familiar with or attend either uni lmk your general thoughts on them!
McGinger
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Look for 'extras' at each - Moot Courts, Law Clinics, Law Firm presentations, placements, study abroad etc etc. Also, look on YouTube for Campus Tours/Open Day films which will give you an idea of what each Uni looks like and 'feels' like.
Mhuds
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m stuck between Leeds, Sheffield and Birmingham for Law too - have you decided yet??
Saif_e92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Haha not yet. It would’ve been easier if there were actual open days. What you edging towards?
Mhuds
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve briefly seen Leeds & Sheffield but not had chance to see Birmingham at all yet. My predicted is AAA but without exams I think A*AB or AAB is poss so I’m a bit stuck. Offers are AAA at Leeds and Sheffield (and don’t think Leeds are flexible if u miss out slightly) and Birmingham is AAB. Like Leeds but it’s a gamble, so struggling between Leeds or Sheffield (and poss Birmingham insurance)??? What’s your thinking??
Advertisement
Saif_e92
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mhuds)
I’ve briefly seen Leeds & Sheffield but not had chance to see Birmingham at all yet. My predicted is AAA but without exams I think A*AB or AAB is poss so I’m a bit stuck. Offers are AAA at Leeds and Sheffield (and don’t think Leeds are flexible if u miss out slightly) and Birmingham is AAB. Like Leeds but it’s a gamble, so struggling between Leeds or Sheffield (and poss Birmingham insurance)??? What’s your thinking??
I’ve been accepted by Birmingham and Sheffield with AAB. I honestly don’t know. I attended the Birmingham virtual open day the other day and really liked it. Not had a chance to see either in the flesh though.

How’d you find the Sheffield Law builiding/ Campus?
University of Sheffield Alumni
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Saif_e92)
Teaching standards?

Is there any advantage one has over the other in terms of employability?

If you’re familiar with or attend either uni lmk your general thoughts on them!
(Original post by McGinger)
Look for 'extras' at each - Moot Courts, Law Clinics, Law Firm presentations, placements, study abroad etc etc. Also, look on YouTube for Campus Tours/Open Day films which will give you an idea of what each Uni looks like and 'feels' like.
Hi Saif_e92,

I would definitely take on board McGinger's advice and think about some of the additional opportunities available at each university. For example, if you were to study at Sheffield you have the chance to help and advise real clients through in-house and community-based volunteering schemes. You can also work in the Miscarriages of Justice Review Centre, evaluating cases of possible wrongful imprisonment.

The School of Law have ten pro bono schemes, including four in-house law clinics, providing over 200 pro bono places to students each year. There's also loads of support available to students when it comes to developing their employability, including links with top international law firms and a personal development scheme for those interested in securing a solicitor training contract.

To be entitled to practice law in England and Wales, there are certain modules that you must complete, which can sometime reduce your ability to choose which modules to study. However, courses at Sheffield are structured to maximise student choice, by placing all the core modules in your first year. This means that in later years, you get to focus on the topics that interest you the most. You can read more about the different modules on each course via their entries in the online prospectus.

Outside of your course, there is loads to get involved with too - Sheffield Students' Union is rated number 1 in the UK for several years. When I was a student, I loved getting involved with all the clubs and societies on offer at the Students' Union, as well as the amazing building facilities. Sheffield as a city has lots going on, but is very walkable and a nice size to not be too overwhelming. If you do need to get the bus, it's only £1 with your student card too

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions. You can also chat to current students via the Chat to Us service - I can see that William, Valentina, Haleemah and Tassneem all study Law

- Ben
Sheffield Graduate
BSc Molecular Biology, MSc Human and Molecular Genetics
Advertisement
kingyii1997
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I studied law in Birmingham, and I am pretty satisfied with the quality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling being back in school?

Happy (42)
24.56%
Unhappy (46)
26.9%
Conflicted (83)
48.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed