Watch
Alphablitz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Investigating the rate of diffusion through a membrane

Introduction
Beetroot cells contain red pigments known as ‘betalains’. The plasma membrane acts as a barrier to the diffusion of these pigments, retaining them within the cells. If the plasma membrane is disrupted, the rate at which betalains can move across it may change. You will design an investigation into how the presence of detergent affects the rate of diffusion of betalains through the plasma membrane.

Aim
To design and carry out an investigation into the effect of detergent on diffusion of betalains through plasma membranes.

Intended class time
· 2 hours

Chemicals
Detergent Avoid contact with eyes

Equipment
· Beetroot cylinders in a beaker of water
· Ruler
· Sharp knife or razor blade
· Liquid detergent (washing up liquid)
· Test tubes or boiling tubes
· Dropping pipettes
· 5 cm3 syringes
· Colorimeter
· Cuvettes

Health and Safety
Be careful when cutting the beetroot.

Procedure
1. From what you know of membrane structure and the molecular nature of detergents, suggest a hypothesis for the effect of increasing detergent concentration on membrane permeability.
2. Design an experiment to test your hypothesis employing different detergent concentrations and using the colorimeter. Check your method with your teacher before embarking on step 5 below.
3. Next run some trial tests with different concentrations of detergent, observing how much betalain is released from cells. Based on these tests decide what range of detergent concentrations you will use in your investigation.
4. Make a serial dilution covering the range of detergent concentrations you have chosen.
5. Carry out your investigation, recording data appropriately.
6. Process and present your data appropriately.
7. Finally, draw a conclusion based on your results and relate it to your original hypothesis.

I really need help on what to write please can someone explain what I should write and a method on how to do this experiment thank you
Last edited by Alphablitz; 2 months ago
SebastianSk
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Alphablitz)
Investigating the rate of diffusion through a membrane

Introduction
Beetroot cells contain red pigments known as ‘betalains’. The plasma membrane acts as a barrier to the diffusion of these pigments, retaining them within the cells. If the plasma membrane is disrupted, the rate at which betalains can move across it may change. You will design an investigation into how the presence of detergent affects the rate of diffusion of betalains through the plasma membrane.

Aim
To design and carry out an investigation into the effect of detergent on diffusion of betalains through plasma membranes.

Intended class time
· 2 hours

Chemicals
Detergent Avoid contact with eyes

Equipment
· Beetroot cylinders in a beaker of water
· Ruler
· Sharp knife or razor blade
· Liquid detergent (washing up liquid)
· Test tubes or boiling tubes
· Dropping pipettes
· 5 cm3 syringes
· Colorimeter
· Cuvettes

Health and Safety
Be careful when cutting the beetroot.

Procedure
1. From what you know of membrane structure and the molecular nature of detergents, suggest a hypothesis for the effect of increasing detergent concentration on membrane permeability.
2. Design an experiment to test your hypothesis employing different detergent concentrations and using the colorimeter. Check your method with your teacher before embarking on step 5 below.
3. Next run some trial tests with different concentrations of detergent, observing how much betalain is released from cells. Based on these tests decide what range of detergent concentrations you will use in your investigation.
4. Make a serial dilution covering the range of detergent concentrations you have chosen.
5. Carry out your investigation, recording data appropriately.
6. Process and present your data appropriately.
7. Finally, draw a conclusion based on your results and relate it to your original hypothesis.

I really need help on what to write please can someone explain what I should write and a method on how to do this experiment thank you
The points required to write up the theoretical parts of the report are actually quite simple, so are the experimental parts. Keep in mind that no one has answered your question because 1) the report is quite simple and 2) if you are having trouble with it you have either been too vague with your problems or you have not put in the effort to understand the assignment. As a starting point you should make a connection between the composition from which membranes are composed of, lipids, and the nature of detergents which are usually lipophilic. In other words, the detergents are able to dissolve away the cell membranes which causes the intracellular contents to be ejected outside of the cell.

This assignment requires you to know basic cell biology and the cellular composition of the cell membrane and what are the consequences of the membrane being composed of lipids. Additionally, it would help if you would do some reading on experimental design particularly for biology.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (126)
4.93%
Uncertainty around my education (378)
14.78%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (283)
11.06%
Lack of purpose or motivation (359)
14.03%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (119)
4.65%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (155)
6.06%
Loneliness (218)
8.52%
Financial worries (94)
3.67%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (106)
4.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (120)
4.69%
Lack of real life entertainment (135)
5.28%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (224)
8.76%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (241)
9.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed