Already tired from university (looking for advice).

Watch
Pwaol
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 months ago
Hello everyone, I'm in the end of my first semester of my engineering degree, in exams season, and here's my story that made me choose this title:
I started this semester full of energy, I was so enthusiastic and serious about learning, I was always the one with the highest grades in high school without even studying that much, but even though, I wanted to give it my all in university, I started studying daily from the first day of the semester, I think the minimal amount to study was 3-4 hours (excluding lectures times) so I was basically sitting all day studying always with a couple of breaks.
As expected, I did all my homeworks through the semester perfectly, understood them all, took my time, and got full grades for all my homeworks in all my courses. I was always up to date with my lectures and would wake up earlier to revise before each lecture so I can absorb the material in a better way.
Exams season comes, I stay full of energy, my first exam was calculus, I solved LOTS of past years exams, understood them, most of them I would just find them easy, but surprisingly in the exam, I didn't do as expected, I still solved it, but I had alot of extra mistakes and didn't really get a grade that I would say reflects my hard work. (probably less than average).
In my second exam, which is linear algebra, I said I wanted to really forget about my first exam, and really give it my all again, I solved again lots of previous years exam papers, I usually finished them before time, felt like I'm gonna score a 100% on the exam, was really confident in my self and didn't even worry that much on the exam day.
But just like the first one and WORSE, I still don't have a grade but I'm not sure I'll even pass the exam, it went so bad to the point that I didn't help it but just cry after I have finished it, I just looked at the past three months and all my hard work, there were days I would wake up at 4-5 am to study, felt great that I'm doing something good for my future, but now it's worth nothing with my low grades.
Now I have three more exams this season, and I don't have any more will to study or do anything, currently having the worst feelings in my life and I have nobody to open up to.

Now I'm wondering, where's the problem with me, am I just not the right fit for university? always had great grades in high schools and all my family supports me and wants me to reach my goals and learn, and I didn't want to disappoint them, but I feel like I gave it my 100% but it just.. didn't work out..

Would have preferred to go out with friends and play games instead of sacrificing all my time into learning if I knew that in the end my low grades won't reflect my hard work.

I apologize if I have made this thread too long, I just don't know what to do in this moment (my second exam was today), and would love to hear if someone with more experience could give me his advice.

Thanks for reading.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pwaol)
Hello everyone, I'm in the end of my first semester of my engineering degree, in exams season, and here's my story that made me choose this title:
I started this semester full of energy, I was so enthusiastic and serious about learning, I was always the one with the highest grades in high school without even studying that much, but even though, I wanted to give it my all in university, I started studying daily from the first day of the semester, I think the minimal amount to study was 3-4 hours (excluding lectures times) so I was basically sitting all day studying always with a couple of breaks.
As expected, I did all my homeworks through the semester perfectly, understood them all, took my time, and got full grades for all my homeworks in all my courses. I was always up to date with my lectures and would wake up earlier to revise before each lecture so I can absorb the material in a better way.
Exams season comes, I stay full of energy, my first exam was calculus, I solved LOTS of past years exams, understood them, most of them I would just find them easy, but surprisingly in the exam, I didn't do as expected, I still solved it, but I had alot of extra mistakes and didn't really get a grade that I would say reflects my hard work. (probably less than average).
In my second exam, which is linear algebra, I said I wanted to really forget about my first exam, and really give it my all again, I solved again lots of previous years exam papers, I usually finished them before time, felt like I'm gonna score a 100% on the exam, was really confident in my self and didn't even worry that much on the exam day.
But just like the first one and WORSE, I still don't have a grade but I'm not sure I'll even pass the exam, it went so bad to the point that I didn't help it but just cry after I have finished it, I just looked at the past three months and all my hard work, there were days I would wake up at 4-5 am to study, felt great that I'm doing something good for my future, but now it's worth nothing with my low grades.
Now I have three more exams this season, and I don't have any more will to study or do anything, currently having the worst feelings in my life and I have nobody to open up to.

Now I'm wondering, where's the problem with me, am I just not the right fit for university? always had great grades in high schools and all my family supports me and wants me to reach my goals and learn, and I didn't want to disappoint them, but I feel like I gave it my 100% but it just.. didn't work out..

Would have preferred to go out with friends and play games instead of sacrificing all my time into learning if I knew that in the end my low grades won't reflect my hard work.

I apologize if I have made this thread too long, I just don't know what to do in this moment (my second exam was today), and would love to hear if someone with more experience could give me his advice.

Thanks for reading.
Hello, you don't have to apologise. I'm not doing an engineering degree but I'm in the sciences. I resonate with your words – I was similar to you, was always top of the class/ cohort in school and boom university hit. I had the same thoughts as you – I wondered what was wrong with me. I worked hard in my first year but the grades I got did not reflect my efforts (or so I thought). I know this may sound futile but this is actually very common. University is not easy. It's a whole different ball game. But that doesn't mean it is impossible to get through. I can understand the frustration mainly stems from the fact that you knew you worked hard but didn't get the grades you imagined. And I get that sometimes it's not about the grades only but it can feel like a waste of effort.

From what you said, you are putting in the hard work which is great. But in university it's not like school where studying hard can pull you through. You need to study smart. It's difficult for me to elaborate further as I am in a different field than you. Have you tried identifying the problem i.e. what is it that made your grades 'drop'? Was it just careless mistakes or did you not understand the concepts? Pinpointing the problem can definitely help you move forward. If you haven't already, reach out to your lecturers/ tutors. I'm quite sure someone out there is willing to help.

As for your lifestyle, I would really say try to balance it out. Yes you have to work hard at uni but remember it is not all about academics. I made that mistake in my first year. I know not everyone will agree but uni is a wonderful time to explore stuff in your youth (okay then again Covid may make things very different lol).

In a nutshell, don't give up. There is really nothing wrong with you. It's good that you realised early so you can get help where needed. Also, I appreciate that the covid situation may take a hit on uni life/ learning (I'm struggling myself haha) so really don't be too hard on yourself!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pwaol)

Thanks for reading.
You should talk to your tutor as soon as possible about how your exams have gone and how you’re feeling.

It’s very difficult to judge for yourself how you have done in an exam until it is marked. Remember at university the exam questions, marking and grade boundaries are all done by your lecturers.

There’s a reason that first year results at universities don’t count towards your final classification in most cases - universities know that it can take a while for students to get used to the way university study and assessment works. Having a bad experience now isn’t a nice feeling but it’s an opportunity to learn from and work out what went wrong and how to improve your study skills and exam technique so that you’re all set up to nail your assessments in second and third year. Your tutor and your academic study skills teams are there to help you work out what went wrong (but at university you have to ask for help).
Pwaol
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hello, you don't have to apologise. I'm not doing an engineering degree but I'm in the sciences. I resonate with your words – I was similar to you, was always top of the class/ cohort in school and boom university hit. I had the same thoughts as you – I wondered what was wrong with me. I worked hard in my first year but the grades I got did not reflect my efforts (or so I thought). I know this may sound futile but this is actually very common. University is not easy. It's a whole different ball game. But that doesn't mean it is impossible to get through. I can understand the frustration mainly stems from the fact that you knew you worked hard but didn't get the grades you imagined. And I get that sometimes it's not about the grades only but it can feel like a waste of effort.

From what you said, you are putting in the hard work which is great. But in university it's not like school where studying hard can pull you through. You need to study smart. It's difficult for me to elaborate further as I am in a different field than you. Have you tried identifying the problem i.e. what is it that made your grades 'drop'? Was it just careless mistakes or did you not understand the concepts? Pinpointing the problem can definitely help you move forward. If you haven't already, reach out to your lecturers/ tutors. I'm quite sure someone out there is willing to help.

As for your lifestyle, I would really say try to balance it out. Yes you have to work hard at uni but remember it is not all about academics. I made that mistake in my first year. I know not everyone will agree but uni is a wonderful time to explore stuff in your youth (okay then again Covid may make things very different lol).

In a nutshell, don't give up. There is really nothing wrong with you. It's good that you realised early so you can get help where needed. Also, I appreciate that the covid situation may take a hit on uni life/ learning (I'm struggling myself haha) so really don't be too hard on yourself!
I appreciate the kind words, to be honest, I have went through all the exam, and my mistakes were a mix of everything, careless mistakes, stuff that I couldn't find the trick to solve, as for concepts, I have understood all of them and was super confident in myself.
But the biggest problem was is most of these exams are starting to change into exams with mostly multiple choice questions, like there's 18% of my exam points that went because of silly calculating mistakes, other than the questions that I really found hard and got them wrong.
I have read stuff about studying smart and not hard, but I can't get how or what to change, I've solved homeworks alone and really tried to solve them before asking about them in open hours, in most previous years exams, I would master them, finish before time, revise my answers, but this time it just went all bad, I couldn't finish in time, couldn't revise anything, lots of calculation mistakes and lots of questions that I answered with luck because I just didn't know what to do.
Pwaol
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
You should talk to your tutor as soon as possible about how your exams have gone and how you’re feeling.

It’s very difficult to judge for yourself how you have done in an exam until it is marked. Remember at university the exam questions, marking and grade boundaries are all done by your lecturers.

There’s a reason that first year results at universities don’t count towards your final classification in most cases - universities know that it can take a while for students to get used to the way university study and assessment works. Having a bad experience now isn’t a nice feeling but it’s an opportunity to learn from and work out what went wrong and how to improve your study skills and exam technique so that you’re all set up to nail your assessments in second and third year. Your tutor and your academic study skills teams are there to help you work out what went wrong (but at university you have to ask for help).
Thanks, I will do that and talk to my tutor today probably.
The sad thing here is, is that these grades do count towards my average, and these courses (calculus and linear algebra) have the most effect on the average since they're big courses, and that's why I made sure to study them to the point I was solving previous year exams like a piece of cake, but seems like that didn't work for me.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pwaol)
Thanks, I will do that and talk to my tutor today probably.
The sad thing here is, is that these grades do count towards my average, and these courses (calculus and linear algebra) have the most effect on the average since they're big courses, and that's why I made sure to study them to the point I was solving previous year exams like a piece of cake, but seems like that didn't work for me.
Don't assume you know what your exam results will be just because you found it more difficult that past papers. It's really difficult to just your performance in exams objectively
sb_0808
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 months ago
(Original post by Pwaol)
I appreciate the kind words, to be honest, I have went through all the exam, and my mistakes were a mix of everything, careless mistakes, stuff that I couldn't find the trick to solve, as for concepts, I have understood all of them and was super confident in myself.
But the biggest problem was is most of these exams are starting to change into exams with mostly multiple choice questions, like there's 18% of my exam points that went because of silly calculating mistakes, other than the questions that I really found hard and got them wrong.
I have read stuff about studying smart and not hard, but I can't get how or what to change, I've solved homeworks alone and really tried to solve them before asking about them in open hours, in most previous years exams, I would master them, finish before time, revise my answers, but this time it just went all bad, I couldn't finish in time, couldn't revise anything, lots of calculation mistakes and lots of questions that I answered with luck because I just didn't know what to do.
Hi I'm not at uni yet (so my response may be kinda useless sorry!) but do you think it may be due to stress. I've had that in my GCSEs (which is at a miniscule scale compared to university 😂) but I had a similar experience in my Latin exam and I went in super prepared but completely failed the exam (well I passed but not by too much 😂) and then I figured out it must have been because I was stressed even though I didn't really realise it at the time. Again I'm so sorry if my reply was kinda useless! Maybe talk to your friends and see if they had the same experience because then you will know that you're not alone. And if it is just you then talk to the tutors
Pwaol
Rep:
?
(Original post by sb_0808)
Hi I'm not at uni yet (so my response may be kinda useless sorry!) but do you think it may be due to stress. I've had that in my GCSEs (which is at a miniscule scale compared to university 😂) but I had a similar experience in my Latin exam and I went in super prepared but completely failed the exam (well I passed but not by too much 😂) and then I figured out it must have been because I was stressed even though I didn't really realise it at the time. Again I'm so sorry if my reply was kinda useless! Maybe talk to your friends and see if they had the same experience because then you will know that you're not alone. And if it is just you then talk to the tutors
Hey, thanks for the reply, don't apologize, stress might be the biggest factor that made me fail to solve, but I wasn't really THAT much stressed, actually I was more stressed and shaking in my previous exam and I did better, it's just a combination of inexperience and stress and bad luck and small mistakes that led to big ones. I just talked with my tutor and he said "Welcome to engineering" and told me his stories of failing classes and how he felt. so I feel a little bit better now with the people's help here and his stories. thanks for the help .
About the friends part, I'm lonely atm since it's online still haven't made any real friends, but I'm sure it will happen sooner or later. Thanks for your kind words and tips .
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (43)
37.07%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (11)
9.48%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (5)
4.31%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (29)
25%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (18)
15.52%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (10)
8.62%

Watched Threads