The Student Room Group

Thoughts about not doing well at the start of the Course

Hello. I'm a 2020 first year A level student studying bio. chem and psychology. After recent key assessments, I got an A-C-D, In order of Psychology, Chem and Bio; and this might be me just overthinking stuff, but it's off putting and worrying for me seeing such results when im planning to apply for a university degree later on that requires a minimum A-B-B. Any advice on how to Handle these thoughts and how to prepare?
Original post by snipOx
Hello. I'm a 2020 first year A level student studying bio. chem and psychology. After recent key assessments, I got an A-C-D, In order of Psychology, Chem and Bio; and this might be me just overthinking stuff, but it's off putting and worrying for me seeing such results when im planning to apply for a university degree later on that requires a minimum A-B-B. Any advice on how to Handle these thoughts and how to prepare?

hello! im in the same boat as you, as my current grades are A, B, D and i need predicted grades of at least AAB.
what helps me to cope with this stress and worry is to remember that you are living through a pandemic. This is a really hard thing to do and your grades are still considerably high! youre doing so well considering the circumstances so try and cut yourself some slack!
furthermore, try to remember that this is a two year course for a reason!! youve got a lot of time to improve this year, let alone this year!! i know the thought of needing high predicted grades is important and something that sometimes may feel out of reach, but you can try to counteract this by continuing to put in as much hard work and effort as you can.
If you feel like you are struggling and/or you want help, speak to your teachers, im sure they would be very willing to advise you on what you can do to improve, as they know your standard of work very well.
I hope this has helped you out a bit, keep on with the hard work, we can do this!
it's your first year so try not to worry too much, progress during a levels isn't always linear and it can be quite get frustrating but just keep working hard. look at any feedback you've got from mocks and try to tailor your study techniques to focus on your weak areas. i didn't do biology but i've read many student saying to learn the mark scheme as it can be incredibly specific. i can imagine this year's been especially difficult as it's been mostly online and disruptive. you've still got time to practice and work on these subjects, you're not even halfway through the course yet! and an A in psychology is great :thumbsup::excited:
Reply 3
Original post by absolutelysprout
it's your first year so try not to worry too much, progress during a levels isn't always linear and it can be quite get frustrating but just keep working hard. look at any feedback you've got from mocks and try to tailor your study techniques to focus on your weak areas. i didn't do biology but i've read many student saying to learn the mark scheme as it can be incredibly specific. i can imagine this year's been especially difficult as it's been mostly online and disruptive. you've still got time to practice and work on these subjects, you're not even halfway through the course yet! and an A in psychology is great :thumbsup::excited:

Hey! i apologise for the late reply, been very busy with work recently. Thank you for the the reply! i guess i get ahead of myself sometimes and set myself unrealistic expectations and forget to look at it long term :/ But yeah, i'll make sure to give the mark scheme method a go
Reply 4
Original post by Squiggles1238
hello! im in the same boat as you, as my current grades are A, B, D and i need predicted grades of at least AAB.
what helps me to cope with this stress and worry is to remember that you are living through a pandemic. This is a really hard thing to do and your grades are still considerably high! youre doing so well considering the circumstances so try and cut yourself some slack!
furthermore, try to remember that this is a two year course for a reason!! youve got a lot of time to improve this year, let alone this year!! i know the thought of needing high predicted grades is important and something that sometimes may feel out of reach, but you can try to counteract this by continuing to put in as much hard work and effort as you can.
If you feel like you are struggling and/or you want help, speak to your teachers, im sure they would be very willing to advise you on what you can do to improve, as they know your standard of work very well.
I hope this has helped you out a bit, keep on with the hard work, we can do this!

Hey! I'm sorry for the late reply. Been a bit overwhelmed by work lately. Thank you for the advice! I did have an epithany recently that i'm putting too much pressure on myself during such a weird moment in our lives. As you said yourself, the ABD that you got is really good when looking at it objectively, but as soon as it comes to myself i just get disappointed with the fact i dont have 3 A's yet.
Original post by snipOx
Hey! i apologise for the late reply, been very busy with work recently. Thank you for the the reply! i guess i get ahead of myself sometimes and set myself unrealistic expectations and forget to look at it long term :/ But yeah, i'll make sure to give the mark scheme method a go

no worries! hope you're doing okay :hugs:
You can still get some good out of this, so dont be to disheartened. You got an A in psychology, be proud of that. For chem and bio, look at what you did wrong when studying or preparing so you dont make the same mistake again. Use the feeling of being disappointed with a grade to its advantage by using as motivation to want to better your grades so you dont feel like this again.
Original post by snipOx

i got an A-D-E this time last year, now im on track for A*A*A. I was being complacent last year since i got all 7-9 in gcse with virtually no work. Alevels are a different ball game, once you realise that its steady sailing
Original post by snipOx

HIII Im in the same boat, this year is the worst and i haven't been able to revise for my a levels from december. But i have made a promise to myself that from monday, i will be continuously revising everyday. SO lets do this together! We'll both get the A's we need (:
Hi I’m literally in the same boat as all of you I got really bad and I was also so disheartened but yess I agree we can move and do better from this! How are you guys planning on revising

Quick Reply

Latest