The Student Room Group

jobs in the fashion industry

i'm planning on doing a law degree but my real interest is fashion. i'd love to something like fashion marketing or journalism when i'm older but i know jobs in the arts aren't always secure. does anyone know what jobs there are? what a-levels i should look to take when pursuing this? i'm currently about to take history, english lit, politics and as psychology. whether or not it's even a good idea to go into fashion or marketing? OR if can do fashion with a law degree? best unis? if connections are important, apprenticeships ect.
-sorry for so many questions, any help is appreciated :smile:
Here are some sites about the kind of jobs you could go into: (just from a quick google search i suggest you do some good research :smile:)
https://targetjobs.co.uk/career-sectors/retail-buying-and-merchandising/1044357-careers-in-fashion-different-job-roles
https://www.prospects.ac.uk/careers-advice/what-can-i-do-with-my-degree/fashion

As for A levels i would highly recommend doing some creative course. Maybe Art and Design or something. English Lit and History are definitely good subjects to take. Work experience as well will benefit you.

If its really what you want to do then definitely go for fashion/marketing. As long as you are passionate enough about it.

In the UK I don't think you can do fashion with a law degree but I would suggest doing some research about what kind of degrees are out there. You might want to move away from the law side a bit i am afraid but i think you should look into a range of degrees. One might take your fancy!

Some of the best unis in the UK for fashion are Westminster and Uni of the Arts London. Apparently according the web Nottingham Trent is supposed to be quite good but I wouldn't trust league tables too much other than to give a vague idea.
Source for unis:
https://www.timeshighereducation.com/news/uk-worlds-top-destination-fashion-students

I hope that helps a bit.
Original post by ermmaya
i'm planning on doing a law degree but my real interest is fashion. i'd love to something like fashion marketing or journalism when i'm older but i know jobs in the arts aren't always secure. does anyone know what jobs there are? what a-levels i should look to take when pursuing this? i'm currently about to take history, english lit, politics and as psychology. whether or not it's even a good idea to go into fashion or marketing? OR if can do fashion with a law degree? best unis? if connections are important, apprenticeships ect.
-sorry for so many questions, any help is appreciated :smile:

hey I applied to ual for fashion marketing (got rejected lol) and a lot of people I spoke to took similar a levels to what you’re thinking. It depends how creative the course is, for example, I got an offer at Westminster for fashion marketing & promotion and that course requires an a level in an art based subject as part of the entry requirements. So you should be able to go into fashion marketing / journalism with the a levels you’re doing. I’ve been looking around at the kind of jobs I could do after/during my degree and there is quite a few advertised. I saw one on motel rocks, asos, jaded ldn, etc, so with fashion business I don’t think there’s much of a problem on the job side of it as it’s not as competitive as design. I’m pretty sure fashion law is a career too but I haven’t seen any degrees in it. I’ve heard the best unis are ual, Westminster, Nottingham Trent, leeds, manchester met. I hope that helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending