The Student Room Group

Organic Chemistry

The link doesn’t seem to be working could you send a screenshot :colondollar:
Original post by Blabberboy

The page is not found. Maybe you can ask the question here at this place. That would be nice.
Reply 3
Original post by Kallisto
The page is not found. Maybe you can ask the question here at this place. That would be nice.

https://www.exam-mate.com//questions/17434/52675/17434_q_52675_38_1.png

Is this it?
Reply 5
yes plz
Well you don’t know the Mr of the halogen but you can form an equation for the Mr of CnH2n+1

Use multiples of this and try and find one which can be added to a halogens Ar to equal 137

You can then draw out the molecule
You can rule out Cl being the halogen as the Mr doesn't end in .5 too :yep:
Reply 8
The answer is 1 2 and 3, all are correct, but i need reasons. I understand 1, but not 2 and 3
What’s n? And X

Don’t worry I think I’ve got it CH3CHBrCH2CH3
(edited 3 years ago)
Do you understand what structural isomers are and what geometric isomers are?

What’s needed for a geometric isomerism specifically E-Z isomers?
The answer is 1 2 and 3, all are correct, but i need reasons. I understand 1, but not 2 and 3

As X stands for a halogen, Cl for instance, so HX is HCl. This type of reaction is Dehydrohalogenation: one H- and the Cl-Atom in the halogenalkane are ruptured, formed to HCl and an alkene is left.
You might also want to think about the mechanism for elimination - what do you know about where the hydroxide ion attacks?

Spoiler

Or is it about the isomers? structural isomers in alkenes exists, if the double bound is on a different C-atom, geometric isomer in turn, if the alkene has CH3-branches on a different C-atom (E-Z-isomers!).
(edited 3 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest