National infrastructure bank

Watch
richard10012
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
Is this a good idea? Isn’t it just replacing what we had with the EU? Will it just focus on levelling up the north and forget about the south.
H Millington
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
"Levelling up the North" basically means we're getting a new train line. The government with still continue to aim to please its voters, most of whom live in the south, so no - you won't be 'left behind.' In fact, you'll still be prioritized, the Conservatives have just been under fire for the way the North (particularly Greater Manchester) was treated in the Covid-19 furlough scheme so they want to attempt to please and win back the Northern voters that they may have lost. This is a step taken by the Conservatives as they have been labelled multiple times as a party that favours the South and harms the North, so they want to try and break free of that label to appeal to Northern voters.

Also, the NIB will not be anywhere near as beneficial to Britain/British business as the European single market but it will be the only thing there is to rely on for a good while so it's best to accept it. What we had with the EU was a low single-rate tax for all businesses operating within the European Union and full access to an open economy across the whole of Europe that we led with Germany. The NIB will not be very similar to that and unfortunately will not save the fishing industry that Brexit killed either.

I advise that you watch some documentaries about the EU from both left and right-wing opinions, particularly ones that show you why a referendum was held in the first place instead of assuming the EU was bad based of the usual, parroted 'immigrants are stealing jobs!' and 'we paid the EU loads for nothing!'
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by richard10012)
Is this a good idea? Isn’t it just replacing what we had with the EU? Will it just focus on levelling up the north and forget about the south.
Yes it was. But there is one small difference between this and the EU model.

With this we get all of the money back that we pay into it, whereas before we got some of the money back, and they put a little flag on everything with lots of yellow stars to give the impression it was their money.

On a more serious note though, I’m hoping we can force some of these infrastructure improvements through. We have big ticket items like HS2 that keep getting stalled by Nimbys, and for a lot time area that need development just never seem to bother asking for it. For example, places like Devon and Cornwall rarely seem to chase after money that can be made available.
JOSH4598
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by MatureStudent37)
On a more serious note though, I’m hoping we can force some of these infrastructure improvements through. We have big ticket items like HS2 that keep getting stalled by Nimbys, and for a lot time area that need development just never seem to bother asking for it. For example, places like Devon and Cornwall rarely seem to chase after money that can be made available.
I'm not disagreeing with what you said - it was all true! But out of interest, do you support HS2 as a feasible project to 'level up the north'?

I would have thought the predicted price tag of £100bn, which is likely to continuously increase as with all these projects, could be spent on the regional rail links in the North which are in a dire state. There seems to be an obsession with linking the North with the South, whereas the North could be its own 'powerhouse' (to coin a phrase!) which I'm sure most Northerners would much prefer.
MatureStudent37
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by JOSH4598)
I'm not disagreeing with what you said - it was all true! But out of interest, do you support HS2 as a feasible project to 'level up the north'?

I would have thought the predicted price tag of £100bn, which is likely to continuously increase as with all these projects, could be spent on the regional rail links in the North which are in a dire state. There seems to be an obsession with linking the North with the South, whereas the North could be its own 'powerhouse' (to coin a phrase!) which I'm sure most Northerners would much prefer.
HS2 is a follow on from HS1. HS2 connects to HS1 which in turn connects to Europe’s High speed rail network.

So yes, I think HS2 is worth it.

I have to be honest, the cost is somewhat surprising compared to how quickly we used to be able to build railways with little more than a pick and a shovel. But that’s the price of health and safety and legal challenges.

The costs high, but the money goes back into the economy. It’s a sort of Keynesian wet dream but with the difference being that people who advocate Keynesian economics seem to be against it.

I’ve yet to find an example where money spent on infrastructure, especially transport does return on the investment, especially when everybody wants to go green and push us onto public transport.

Regional investment could be helpful, but this is about capacity issues. There’s no capacity issues in the north. There is in the south. And you can’t connect the orthodox to the south and Europe of you can’t get to it due to rail lines clogged up with commuters in the south.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Which of these would you use to help with making uni decisions?

Webinars (58)
13.33%
Virtual campus tours/open days (100)
22.99%
Live streaming events (39)
8.97%
Online AMAs/guest lectures (41)
9.43%
A uni comparison tool (100)
22.99%
An in-person event when available (97)
22.3%