The Student Room Group

Getting a job

I do not understand why employers ask you why do you want this job? Everyone does the job for the money and the people who give the best response in interviews can turn out to be terrible employees in the long run.
They essentially want to know why you want to do the job other than just for money.

Whilst it's common sense that people would do the job to earn a living, that alone usually isn't sufficient for you to perform in your job, and low performers tend to be kicked out quickly. Also, not everyone is motivated by just money alone; there are other factors such as admiration for the company, inspiration by peers, love for what the job does, etc.

If you can't offer a good reason, it will look like you have done zero research into the job and you're just another bog standard candidate out there looking for a paycheck, and there are plenty of people of such nature as there is.
Reply 2
Original post by donttrustno1
I do not understand why employers ask you why do you want this job? Everyone does the job for the money and the people who give the best response in interviews can turn out to be terrible employees in the long run.

What level of jobs are you applying for?
Reply 3
It a question to judge enthusiasm, commitment and to see if you have thought about it. I one asked this and the candidate said ‘because I think it would fit flexibly around my hobby of playing in a band’. I liked the candour but wasn’t sure of the fullness of commitment. Agree that the best answer doesn’t always mean the best person for the job.

Quick Reply

Latest