The Student Room Group

'Chestfeeding' versus 'breastfeeding' terminology discussion

Midwives told to say 'chestfeeding' instead of 'breastfeeding' in gender-inclusive move

https://www.lbc.co.uk/news/breastfeeding-called-chestfeeding-trans-friendly-midwives-told-brighton/?fbclid=IwAR2E5_wLJhsaQn911fC_xTRfFs7NJ_H7R8fEGoYurT-oUvI_upVv5QVqY9w

Ignoring the fact that it is a cast iron rule of basic biology that only women can have babies this seems a decidedly unnecessary rule to try and implement. Not to mention one that, prima facie, does a delightful job of removing some of the foundational elements surrounding motherhood. Talk about devaluing the experience when its being reduced to but another front on the rumbling culture war.
I mean, say what you like about nominal inclusivity and that jazz, but is it just me who thinks that this move seems pedantic, groundless and (perish having to use this phrase) 'virtue signaling'? Last time i checked i dont recall any great clamouring for maternity wards to be pandering to any ideology, one way or the other, as opposed to doing their job to take care of mothers and babies during the birthing experience.
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Birthing parent giving human milk through chestfeeding :yep:

They say they are underfunded but they prioritise funds for this useless nonsense. I wonder how many hours of meetings were wasted coming up with this.
This is dumb most of all because it's perfectly accurate to refer to either side of a male chest as a "breast" anyway.
Reply 3
Original post by DiddyDec
Birthing parent giving human milk through chestfeeding :yep:

They say they are underfunded but they prioritise funds for this useless nonsense. I wonder how many hours of meetings were wasted coming up with this.

I'm loathe to ever support any of Trumps policies but his decision to ban public funds being diverted to the consultants who come up with this meaningless, sexist, drivel was a good one and one Whitehall should have thrust upon it.
I mean, 'chest feeding' they do know that the chest doesnt produce milk as opposed to the breasts right?
One can only hope that sufficient mothers take exception and complain about having their identities erased and trammeled for this unscientific and, ironically, un-inclusive nonsense.
Reply 4
Original post by anarchism101
This is dumb most of all because it's perfectly accurate to refer to either side of a male chest as a "breast" anyway.

Moobs :colone:
Original post by Napp

Hmm...maybe we should change the name to M/Boob feeding :dontknow:
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
Hmm...maybe we should change the name to M/Boob feeding :dontknow:

Mmm m/boob or 'poobs' (person) just doesnt have the same ring to it, alas.
Original post by Napp

Milk sacks.
Call Midwives 'Midpeople' from now on then...

This kind of **** will never stop.
Nah I ain't got time for that. Breastfeeding is what i'll say.
Madness.
Original post by Megacent
Madness.

for once we agree :wink:
But we have to give more money to the NHS!!!11!!
The parental unit bearing the soft chest flesh lumps containing milk about to engage in scheduled chestfeeding of the infant unit.

:confused:
Doesn’t it say that they will only do this for trans patients? So for cis women the language will remain the same as it’s always been, but they just have some advice for what to say to trans men.

I mean you can debate on the accuracy and legitimacy, but if it’s just guidance for the tiny number of trans men that give birth and it doesn’t effect women, then I find it hard to care. Let them use what ever language they want as long as it doesn’t impact what language is used for women giving birth.
Heard about this, completely ridiculous
weird way to rephrase it as amab people have breasts too (thats generally what I see them called), but cool sentiment ig?
Original post by Imane888
Nah I ain't got time for that. Breastfeeding is what i'll say.

"Aint nobody got time fo dat!"😊
Original post by caravaggio2
"Aint nobody got time fo dat!"😊

especially a breastfeeding mother! er...chestfeeding parent
I'm friends with a trans man who recently gave birth in Brighton.

I'm glad to see that the hospital and midwives are trying not to be ********s towards him and his baby.

Shame there's so many people on TSR who think his dysphoria is something worth mocking :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending