The Student Room Group

Psychology: Uni of Sussex vs. Uni of Reading

(edited 2 years ago)
I dont go there but ik people who go to reading for psychology and they love it!
Hi!! i’m literally in the same position as you, reading or sussex for psychology starting september, personally i think sussex has better results for psychology and it’s meant to be really good, and also i’m from brighton area and it’s so so nice :smile: I know that’s probably not helping much and your decision but I haven’t found anyone else struggling with this decision ahah
Original post by berryjelly
I’m hoping to study Psychology this year and I’m torn between going to Sussex uni or Reading. I prefer the accommodation and campus at Reading, but I know Sussex has a higher general and psychology ranking, but I’m a little worried about Sussex not being as diverse as Reading and the fact it’s a larger city. Does anyone study at either uni, and could you share your experiences studying there? Thank you!

Hi @berryjelly,

I'm glad to hear that you are considering studying Psychology at Sussex!

I am a current student at Sussex and I have enjoyed my time here. I don't study Psychology so unfortunately I can't comment on the course specifically but I would say that I didn't base my decision for my course on university rankings and based it on how I felt about the university itself! I made a lot of my decision based off the modules my course offered and the location of the university.

In terms of diversity, I would say Brighton is a welcoming and diverse place and there are students at Sussex from all over the world. Unfortunately, I don't know about Reading in order to make a direct comparison as I've never been! However, at Sussex I have found people are approachable and friendly. There are also societies such as the African Carribbean Society (ACS) for example where you can meet ethnic minority students too.

In terms of my experience at Sussex, I would say that so far I have enjoyed my course and interacting with others. I have found that doing this in Brighton has been great, especially with a beach nearby!

I hope that this has been helpful! Please feel free to ask me any other questions you may have or if you want me to elaborate on anything.

Best wishes,
Merade (3rd Year History and Politics)
Hi, do you mind telling my you predicted grades? I am waiting for an offer from Sussex for psychology and I'm worried about my chances

As for your question, diversity was a factored in my decisions for uni and felt like at Sussex I would be alright. Especially with it being so close to Brighton! I have visited a couple of times and I am from London, I wouldn't say it is the same vibe though, which is to be expected. But considering, I feel like you will be able to find people who you get on with and feel comfortable with as time goes on. Obvs, this is my own opinion and it is somewhat limited as I have not been to the campus because of Covid, and we can't really rely on the virtual tour for the 'feel' of the place.

I hope you find the info that you are after though! Good luck

Quick Reply

Latest