Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Content warning: the following post contains mention of self-harm

Spoiler:
Show
...harm myself but not die?

I don’t see how that makes sense.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Does your friend try to (actively) discourage you from self-harming yourself or do you mean he/she does not "care" when you harm yourself?
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Does your friend try to (actively) discourage you from self-harming yourself or do you mean he/she does not "care" when you harm yourself?
she says “is that going to make it all better?” and I don’t feel like she cares but with death she threatens to tell someone.
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Maybe because to her someone who is not a professional psychiartist (presumably) dealing with self harm is easier than trying to talk someone out of suicide?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
ROTL94 has a point. Sometimes people do not really get the magnitude of what someone else is going through i.e. the pain that leads to self-harming. Not everyone is equipped to deal with such things – but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't care. At times it can be scary to some people as well when this happens and they just choose not to register it. Personally (and I am just basing this on your one example of what your friend said), it could be that she is concerned but just does not know how to help. With suicide/ death it is definitely more "severe" in a sense that she knows she will lose a friend forever. But of course, this is just my view on it.

On a side note, I hope that things will be okay for you. Hang in there...
will5325988
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
what happened ?
Anonymous #3
Report 1 month ago
In the grand scheme of things, your friend would rather you hurt yourself than killed yourself. Cuts or burns or bruises are temporary and suicide is very much permanent. I know ho you feel my friends did the same thing and it can come across as them not caring, when really they probably aren't sure what to do but it is the lesser of two evils they dont want to lose you and if you doing that keeps you here they would rather that. I have various friends who self harm and as much as I would rather they didn't do it I would much rather they did it than killing themselves.

You sh because you have no other option its the coping mechanism that works they understand that. if you take away your only coping mechanism you're going to want to off it more and they don't want that. They know that you can and will find another mechanism you just need time but there's no coming back from suicide.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
ROTL94 has a point. Sometimes people do not really get the magnitude of what someone else is going through i.e. the pain that leads to self-harming. Not everyone is equipped to deal with such things – but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't care. At times it can be scary to some people as well when this happens and they just choose not to register it. Personally (and I am just basing this on your one example of what your friend said), it could be that she is concerned but just does not know how to help. With suicide/ death it is definitely more "severe" in a sense that she knows she will lose a friend forever. But of course, this is just my view on it.

On a side note, I hope that things will be okay for you. Hang in there...
LMFAO why did I only just get the notification for this one minute ago?
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
In the grand scheme of things, your friend would rather you hurt yourself than killed yourself. Cuts or burns or bruises are temporary and suicide is very much permanent. I know ho you feel my friends did the same thing and it can come across as them not caring, when really they probably aren't sure what to do but it is the lesser of two evils they dont want to lose you and if you doing that keeps you here they would rather that. I have various friends who self harm and as much as I would rather they didn't do it I would much rather they did it than killing themselves.

You sh because you have no other option its the coping mechanism that works they understand that. if you take away your only coping mechanism you're going to want to off it more and they don't want that. They know that you can and will find another mechanism you just need time but there's no coming back from suicide.
PRSOM.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What would make a great online university open day?

Virtual campus tour (67)
18.98%
Virtual accommodation tour (51)
14.45%
Find out about sports clubs, societies and facilities (17)
4.82%
Video content about the local area (3)
0.85%
Webinars with lecturers (11)
3.12%
Taster lectures or seminars (75)
21.25%
Speak to current students studying my course (81)
22.95%
Speak to current students about the uni in general (14)
3.97%
Fun online activities or experiences (13)
3.68%
Connecting with careers services or employers (8)
2.27%
Info about student wellbeing and support services (6)
1.7%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
1.98%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed