Is your sin covered or do you still live with it?

Watch
NJA
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
Man did not need a covering until he took his mind off the works of God and onto himself . . . Genesis 2:25 "they were both naked, the man and his wife, and were not ashamed" . . . after being persuaded by Satan . . . "the eyes of them both were opened, and they knew that they were naked; and they sewed fig leaves together, and made themselves aprons". . . . God then asked them the rhetorical question "where are you?" . . . they tried to hide themselves among the trees . . . it's still happening.

The covering today is to receive the Spirit of God, that gives you a renewed mind and daily experience of the better things God promises . . his love, joy, peace, power. Of course you still have to choose what you will believe and that can be a battle, but "seek and you shall find".

"eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him. But God hath revealed them to us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Cor. 2:9-10)
username5490350
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Amen, may the Lord bless you
NJA
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
People that have constructed a life without God find there are gaps they cannot fill

ChocCheesecake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
People that have constructed a life without God find there are gaps they cannot fill

Beautiful poem. As an atheist (and ex-christian) however, I completely disagree with your comment. I don't feel a gap where the god was, not in the slightest. I feel just as fulfilled now as when I was a Christian, if not more so at times. I'm not saying my lives is without the odd gap, just none that a god-belief would fill. If I'm honest, I find the idea that you need religion to be truly fulfilled bizarre.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I mean...as long as you do good towards other people it doesn't matter if you're atheist or Buddhist or pagan etc. I wouldn't say there's a 'gap' per se.
NJA
Rep:
?
(Original post by ChocCheesecake)
Beautiful poem. As an atheist (and ex-christian) however, I completely disagree with your comment. I don't feel a gap where the god was, not in the slightest. I feel just as fulfilled now as when I was a Christian, if not more so at times. I'm not saying my lives is without the odd gap, just none that a god-belief would fill. If I'm honest, I find the idea that you need religion to be truly fulfilled bizarre.
You are young, still exploring what the World and your natural faculties have to offer. The author was older . . . had time to see what gives long-term satisfaction . . .
I'd say religion is a man-made thing that people use to fill the gap that really only gets filled when you are "filled with the Holy Spirit" like the disciples were .. . Jesus didn't come to bring religion.
Bookworm_88
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
You are young, still exploring what the World and your natural faculties have to offer. The author was older . . . had time to see what gives long-term satisfaction . . .
I'd say religion is a man-made thing that people use to fill the gap that really only gets filled when you are "filled with the Holy Spirit" like the disciples were .. . Jesus didn't come to bring religion.
It depends on what we mean be religion: Religion can either be a set of beliefs and practices you adhere to or a way of life....depends on how you see it.
ChocCheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by NJA)
Yes, I'm young. So reading between the lines, the case you appear to essentially be making is that the only thing that will give true long-term satisfaction is religion. Is that right? (I genuinely don't want to put words in your mouth here!) If so, that seems extraordinarily presumptuous. There are countless non-believers, do you think their lives all lack long-term satisfaction? My grandad's 94. He appears perfectly content without religion (despite my religious family's attempts) and, if there is discontentment there, he is clearly convinced religion wouldn't help.
NJA
Rep:
?
Yes, I'm young. So reading between the lines, the case you appear to essentially be making is that the only thing that will give true long-term satisfaction is religion. Is that right? (I genuinely don't want to put words in your mouth here!) If so, that seems extraordinarily presumptuous. There are countless non-believers, do you think their lives all lack long-term satisfaction? My grandad's 94. He appears perfectly content without religion (despite my religious family's attempts) and, if there is discontentment there, he is clearly convinced religion wouldn't help.
If you read what I actually said you wouldn't have to read between the lines or ask that question.
With your Grandad, and people generally it is best not to judge by appearances, most people put on an "I'm ok" appearance. My grandma learned to live with her sin, she described smoking as her last pleasure, she was content with that, I have since met people her age who have found the living God with his evidences.
Your choice, as the title says!
ChocCheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
"If you read what I actually said you wouldn't have to read between the lines or ask that question."

I did read what you said - carefully. As I said, I genuinely don't want to put words in your mouth. You said, "people use [religion] to fill the gap that really only gets filled when you are 'filled with the Holy Spirit' ". I read that as the only thing that will give true long-term satisfaction is religion. Is that wrong then? If that's the case, I misinterpreted your comment and I apologise for misrepresenting your point. So, are you saying that there are multiple ways to have long-term satisfaction and religion is just one way?

"With your Grandad, and people generally it is best not to judge by appearances, most people put on an "I'm ok" appearance."

I agree that most people put on an "I'm ok" appearance when talking to strangers and acquaintances. The closer you get to people though, the more honest and open people tend to be. My entire family is super close. That's not to say it's impossible he's secretly unhappy with life but he's doing an oscar worthy act if he is (and an unnecessary one seeing the kind of conversations we've had in the past).

My grandma learned to live with her sin, she described smoking as her last pleasure, she was content with that, I have since met people her age who have found the living God with his evidences. Your choice, as the title says!

And there are people in their later years who stop believing in God as well... I don't see your point there.

Side question: how do you define sin?
Last edited by ChocCheesecake; 7 months ago
NJA
Rep:
?
. . . You said, "people use [religion] to fill the gap that really only gets filled when you are 'filled with the Holy Spirit' ". I read that as the only thing that will give true long-term satisfaction is religion. . . .
When you receive the Holy Spirit you enter into relationship with God, it becomes all about what God has done and will do, not anything religious that you can do. The only way to understand the difference is to accept that you have not received and you need to, as Jesus said:

"Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God." (John 3:3)

And as Paul and the early Christians later realised:

"Eye has not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God has prepared for them that love him. But God has revealed them unto us by his Spirit: for the Spirit searches all things, yea, the deep things of God." (1 Cor. 2:9-10)

You actually have to expect God to do something specific - see Acts 2v4, 33; 10:44-46
I'm with a church full of people that have received this, we have a Zoom meeting tomorrow if you are interested.

With your Grandad, some people find God late in life, the best thing maybe is if you get what I'm talking about and then you can tell him from experience.

"Sin" is defined not just as certain "bad" things but anything less than the nature of God:
"For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God" (Romans 3:23)

That glory is given to us when we receive the Holy Spirit, as you learn to draw on that new life you experience and exhibit it more and more, "a city on a hill cannot be hidden".
jackmarshal757
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Another one
jackmarshal757
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
"If you read what I actually said you wouldn't have to read between the lines or ask that question."

I did read what you said - carefully. As I said, I genuinely don't want to put words in your mouth. You said, "people use [religion] to fill the gap that really only gets filled when you are 'filled with the Holy Spirit' ". I read that as the only thing that will give true long-term satisfaction is religion. Is that wrong then? If that's the case, I misinterpreted your comment and I apologise for misrepresenting your point. So, are you saying that there are multiple ways to have long-term satisfaction and religion is just one way?

"With your Grandad, and people generally it is best not to judge by appearances, most people put on an "I'm ok" appearance."

I agree that most people put on an "I'm ok" appearance when talking to strangers and acquaintances. The closer you get to people though, the more honest and open people tend to be. My entire family is super close. That's not to say it's impossible he's secretly unhappy with life but he's doing an oscar worthy act if he is (and an unnecessary one seeing the kind of conversations we've had in the past).

My grandma learned to live with her sin, she described smoking as her last pleasure, she was content with that, I have since met people her age who have found the living God with his evidences. Your choice, as the title says!

And there are people in their later years who stop believing in God as well... I don't see your point there.

Surely if you used to be a Christian then you’d know what is meant by sin?
ChocCheesecake
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jackmarshal757)
Surely if you used to be a Christian then you’d know what is meant by sin?
I know what our church meant by sin. However, different Christians that I've talked to have sometimes had subtly (or even drastically) different interpretations of what sin is. I ask so I can have a better conversation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made your mind up on your five uni choices?

Yes, and I've sent off my application! (8)
66.67%
I've made my choices but havent sent my application yet (0)
0%
I've got a good idea about the choices I want to make (1)
8.33%
I'm researching but still not sure which universities I want to apply to (0)
0%
I haven't started researching yet (0)
0%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
25%

Watched Threads