Self teaching GCSE Maths

Watch this thread
FantasyAngel
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
We've finished the maths content at my school, but we've rushed a lot of it and there are many topics that i'm unfamiliar with.
My school had subscriptions to HegartyMaths and DrFrost, but i've heard a lot about corbett maths and Maths genie.
i'm currently workin at a 5 and i want to move up to a 7 or above because i want to do A level maths.
What sites would you recommend for practice questions and learning? and what would you recommend to move up to a grade 7?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by FantasyAngel)
We've finished the maths content at my school, but we've rushed a lot of it and there are many topics that i'm unfamiliar with.
My school had subscriptions to HegartyMaths and DrFrost, but i've heard a lot about corbett maths and Maths genie.
i'm currently workin at a 5 and i want to move up to a 7 or above because i want to do A level maths.
What sites would you recommend for practice questions and learning? and what would you recommend to move up to a grade 7?
The two you have subscriptions for are very good.

You can access a lot of Dr Frost materials free

https://www.drfrostmaths.com/sow.php...eets&term=GCSE

Have you seen these: https://www.missbsresources.com/teac...mathspassports

BBC bitesize?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
That isn't free - do you have permission to advertise it?
Bethparkerr
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
Examsolutions.net is a very useful websites which take you through full working out of the answers.
BBambiS
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
That isn't free - do you have permission to advertise it?
Savemyexams actually is free it's optional to pay for their additional services
username4613962
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
I bascially self taught gcse maths, used maths genie almost solely. Self teaching A level maths now, dont use maths genie when you do A level maths.
BBambiS
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ibby68)
I bascially self taught gcse maths, used maths genie almost solely. Self teaching A level maths now, dont use maths genie when you do A level maths.
How is self teaching A level maths going for you as I am in the process of deciding whether to self teach or go to sixth form
username4613962
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by BBambiS)
How is self teaching A level maths going for you as I am in the process of deciding whether to self teach or go to sixth form
For AS, the content isn't very challenging, the a level books and a couple of YouTube channels are honestly enough. AS is a breeze if im being honest, coming from someone who only got a 6 at gcse maths. The second year stuff is hard so far, as you'd expect, so I can't really comment on the difficulty overall. I could have sat A level maths at a sixth form/college but the only reason why I didn't is becasue I didn't want to waste another 2 years, (I would have been 18 when I started), so I opted to just teach myself the A level, and so far its very manageable tbh. Personally, if I was just coming out of gcse, I would just go to sixth form, because you have the help of teachers and you don't have to pay for exams.
Dennis Hamilton
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by username4613962)
For AS, the content isn't very challenging, the a level books and a couple of YouTube channels are honestly enough. AS is a breeze if im being honest, coming from someone who only got a 6 at gcse maths. The second year stuff is hard so far, as you'd expect, so I can't really comment on the difficulty overall. I could have sat A level maths at a sixth form/college but the only reason why I didn't is becasue I didn't want to waste another 2 years, (I would have been 18 when I started), so I opted to just teach myself the A level, and so far its very manageable tbh. Personally, if I was just coming out of gcse, I would just go to sixth form, because you have the help of teachers and you don't have to pay for exams.
Hello, how are you getting on now? How long did it take you to learn the GCSE content and A-level content?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (70)
66.67%
No (26)
24.76%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.57%

Watched Threads