The Student Room Group

Choosing GCSE Subjects

I'm choosing my gcse's this year, what would be a good balance that would keep my career path open in the future?

Also what subject would be completely useless to take?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by ScarletMillion
I'm choosing my gcse's this year, what would be a good balance that would keep my career path open in the future?

triple science if you don't have to do it at school, computer science if you like it because that opens up a different path, either history or geography, obvs your language and do something fun something you'll enjoy and can relax in but still do well- obviously PICK WHAT YOUR GOOD AT AND LIKE this is just a kind of basic- juts making sure you have triple science- everything else is really up to you. Good luck!
Original post by sorrymenotyou
triple science if you don't have to do it at school, computer science if you like it because that opens up a different path, either history or geography, obvs your language and do something fun something you'll enjoy and can relax in but still do well- obviously PICK WHAT YOUR GOOD AT AND LIKE this is just a kind of basic- juts making sure you have triple science- everything else is really up to you. Good luck!

Thank you! I'm planning to take computer science since I enjoy it. About the triple science, my school only lets the top sets to take triple science and the rest take double. I'm in set one this year, so hopefully I'd be able to do it.
Reply 3

Also what subject would be completely useless to take?

If you want to keep your career path open, choose good generalist subjects. (Just going to list a few, regardless of what your school makes you or doesn't make you do.) So maths, English, triple science is always good, history, geography and possibly a language too. (Languages are a really attractive feature of applications, whether they are for a college course, a university course or even further in the future. Plus, learning a language has an infinite amount of benefits, especially if it is one spoken a lot around the world.)

Useless subjects: No subject is truly useless, it all depends on the person. For example, if someone wants to be an actress, drama is a key GCSE subject for them to take, however, if somebody has no acting ability whatsoever, drama is useless to them. Same goes for subjects like music, art, food tech, PE and dance. If you enjoy them and are fairly decent, go for it, but take your own abilities into account when choosing.

Hope this is helpful, good luck choosing!
If your school offers it i would really recommend media studies, i found it really interesting and it covers a range of media products and theories- (similar to english in a way); i picked it to just make up my subjects as wasn't really keen on other options my school offered and it felt like the most okay one, but i actually really ended up loving it and now want to study media at university; even if you don't end up majorly enjoying it i found it also really helps with English Lit and Lang as use similar terminology and skills so is a benefit there. :smile:
Thank you! I'm planning to take computer science since I enjoy it. About the triple science, my school only lets the top sets to take triple science and the rest take double. I'm in set one this year, so hopefully I'd be able to do it.

Oh okay so just make sure you stay in that top set and triple science will open a lot of paths- good luck and I'm glad that helped!xxx
i was planning on doing spanish, but i'm pretty rubbish at it- would gcse spanish be pretty easy to work on within 2 years?
I agree with other commenters- no subject is useless if you use it toward the appropriate goal or gain the desired skills, its up to you!
Reply 8
i was planning on doing spanish, but i'm pretty rubbish at it- would gcse spanish be pretty easy to work on within 2 years?

If you think you can do well, go for it. As I said, having a language is a great thing, but if you really are hopeless at it, maybe it would be better not to. Depends on your own abilities. If you think you can work hard enough and get good at in two years (bear in mind two years is a long time, so it's definitely achievable if you put your mind to it) I'd recommend it. However, if you don't think you can do that, it probably isn't worth taking it. (You can dedicate your time to other subjects you're better at.)
the path im choosing has religious studies as compulsory too tho, but if i did end up doing spanish i could change the pathway

oh spanish is really quite easy- like the others have said, if you want you'll be able to learn the course in two years with almost no difficulty- go for it if you want
What are you favourite subjects?

Quick Reply

Latest