Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Okay So I'm trying to choose what gcse's to pick. currently I've got:
Drama
Computer Science
History
German
Resistant Materials
Religious Studies

Are any of these bad ideas to do? What is one that people recommend taking?
Last edited by Rosie_IoM; 5 months ago
Bethparkerr
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
The info I can say is that history is a lot of content, but really interesting, and that drama may be more written work than you’re expecting
valentinefem
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Languages are always a good choice
Rosie_IoM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by Bethparkerr)
The info I can say is that history is a lot of content, but really interesting, and that drama may be more written work than you’re expecting
thanks, i am quite ready to be dealing with long essays in history and i do expect quite a lot of written work in drama
Mabli.W
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In my experience:

Drama heavily depends on what kind of teacher you have and what class you end up in. I love drama but it gcse ended up being a tough slog because the people in my class did not care at ALL (took it for an easy pass type thing) and drama requires you to work as a team. That was frustrating and really spoiled the experience for me. I would try and talk to people in your school who have done drama because teachers can also make the course better or worse depending on their style. I would say that doing drama I didn't even really improve my performance skills, because I was in a group of people with much less experience than me so ended up feeling unchallenged and bored by the assignments. I wish I had stuck to theatre groups outside of school and done something more useful as a gcse.

History was very interesting and is one of those subjects where if you're good at remembering information its hard to go wrong. On a GCSE course there'll be sort of standard questions they ask all the time and a model response. So one of my units was Nazi Germany and a question would be like 'How did the Nazis secure power between such and such dates' and you will have learnt a series of events and information about those events and you just write it all out in a nice mini essay that you probably will have practiced in class. Other types of questions will be analysing sources but practice makes perfect on those- overall I liked history. Interesting stuff just be prepared to have to learn some bulky content.

RE is actually remarkably similar to history in the sense that you learn a load of information and write it out as comprehensively as you can when they ask about it in an exam. I thought it was interesting enough, but it was just kind of a meh subject because it was mandatory for us. Hard to fail tbh, the only thing is you have to learn to write a hell of a lot in a short space of time (but if you know what you're talking about its easier lol).

Haven't taken the rest but overall for gcse you can just take the stuff you enjoy. A level is when you need to think about the future, but i don't know of any a levels you can't do without sitting the gcse first.
jaz_37
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Hi

All of these options look great! I would say history, computer science and German in particular will offer you the most options in the way of sixth form/college. Because honestly, other than getting a place in sixth form, GCSE's don't amount to much in terms of your career etc. They're just a stepping stone!

I would say pick hopefully at least two of those three ^^ because once you get to sixth form you will then have these as an option for A Levels. These are really good A Levels to have - universities love them as they're seen as facilitating.

With things like drama on the other hand, you could definitely still take it for GCSE (I did ) but I wouldn't say it'll be that useful for A Levels, or even if you're looking to go into theatre school. But you don't have to take GCSEs solely so you can take them at A Level, you could still just do drama for fun!

Honestly, don't sweat it. GCSEs may sound scary but the real beast is A Levels, just make sure you have a couple facilitating subjects (and remember all the sciences, maths and English also count as facilitating!) and you'll be fine
oliviacranfield3
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Rosie_IoM)
Drama
Computer Science
History
German
Resistant Materials

I would highly recommend triple science, it's not much harder than double science and if you want to do science at college you need two 6's at GCSE. So if you take triple science it's easier to meet the requirements and it's a lot of fun. Also, if you don't know what you want to do after taking GCSE's then it might open up options.
CatalinaIK
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I’d say definitely do a language because some unis do require one to get in
Rosie_IoM
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
(Original post by CatalinaIK)
I’d say definitely do a language because some unis do require one to get in
ok thanks!
og-icon
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Rosie_IoM)
Drama
Computer Science
History
German
Resistant Materials
Religious Studies

Wag1, depends on what you wanna do in the future, you should make up your mind or have a idea on what career you wanna pursue then do research on it and look for the required subjects so yh im just sayin that pick ur subjects depending on your future ambitions enit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (26)
27.96%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (9)
9.68%
No I am happy with my choice (52)
55.91%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (6)
6.45%

Watched Threads