The Student Room Group

Head of course kicking you out

I have applied to do Adult Nursing from 2019-2020 and i had a late start to my course in september causing me not to start until October due to waiting on grades and confirmation from the university. I have been trying to sort out my DBS from september until Novemeber trying to get the right documents this is now sorted. My only problem now is my occupation health i have totally forgot about this during the months due to studying, getting used to being a first year and sorting my DBS. Sadly in January i wasnt able to attend my placement due to not completing my OH my head of course emailed me and i explained my situation of my GP being busy and stuff and she said fine. During the week of placement i have been trying to catch up on my modules as i had missed a few weeks out of it due to a late start and me not knowing anything as a first year. A few days back my head of course emailed me saying due to not completing your OH your being removed from the course, i replied back saying everything i have put above and she said she will have to do a video call on monday about going forward from my course. I have a form completed from my GP and i only need 3 vaccines for my OH and i am waiting for the receptionist to confirm times. OH has made 3 appointments 2 of which i did not attend due to not having my 3 vaccinations i needed to complete and i could not reply back to them as i did not know they had a email, my head of course said you should have emailed the university even though i thought at the time i should not update as they are not occupaional health. Today i have recieved an email at 11:00 this afternoon saying i should phone up and make an appointment even though my head of course said they are not making appoinments for me.
I am stressing out and absolutely upset as nursing is my passion and worked so hard to get into nursing i dont know if this is right for my head of course to do this during the middle of the course year.
Reply 1
From I can tell
- You didn't get your OH stuff sorted
- You missed appointments
- You didn't communicate with the department as to why you missed appointments relating to something which is part of standard nursing degree requirements

Yes your GP may be busy but this is still something that is your responsibility to chase up.
Yes the nursing department aren't occupational health but OH clearance is still a requirement. Noone enters a nursing job without clearance from the employer's OH department.
Yes they can remove you from the course midway through the year... because, for whatever reason, you have not had occupational health clearance to be medically safe to go on placement.

Get in touch with the OH department for your appointment, and your course leader to explain that everything is now in place and see what they say
Original post by Antonia21
I have applied to do Adult Nursing from 2019-2020 and i had a late start to my course in september causing me not to start until October due to waiting on grades and confirmation from the university. I have been trying to sort out my DBS from september until Novemeber trying to get the right documents this is now sorted. My only problem now is my occupation health i have totally forgot about this during the months due to studying, getting used to being a first year and sorting my DBS. Sadly in January i wasnt able to attend my placement due to not completing my OH my head of course emailed me and i explained my situation of my GP being busy and stuff and she said fine. During the week of placement i have been trying to catch up on my modules as i had missed a few weeks out of it due to a late start and me not knowing anything as a first year. A few days back my head of course emailed me saying due to not completing your OH your being removed from the course, i replied back saying everything i have put above and she said she will have to do a video call on monday about going forward from my course. I have a form completed from my GP and i only need 3 vaccines for my OH and i am waiting for the receptionist to confirm times. OH has made 3 appointments 2 of which i did not attend due to not having my 3 vaccinations i needed to complete and i could not reply back to them as i did not know they had a email, my head of course said you should have emailed the university even though i thought at the time i should not update as they are not occupaional health. Today i have recieved an email at 11:00 this afternoon saying i should phone up and make an appointment even though my head of course said they are not making appoinments for me.
I am stressing out and absolutely upset as nursing is my passion and worked so hard to get into nursing i dont know if this is right for my head of course to do this during the middle of the course year.

You are an admin cluster. This sort of organisation is standard for adult life and even more important in a profession like nursing. Get kicked out for a year, realise this stuff is important and go back next year better organised. if you really want to be a nurse so much - get yourself sorted.
Original post by Emily_B
From I can tell
- You didn't get your OH stuff sorted
- You missed appointments
- You didn't communicate with the department as to why you missed appointments relating to something which is part of standard nursing degree requirements

Yes your GP may be busy but this is still something that is your responsibility to chase up.
Yes the nursing department aren't occupational health but OH clearance is still a requirement. Noone enters a nursing job without clearance from the employer's OH department.
Yes they can remove you from the course midway through the year... because, for whatever reason, you have not had occupational health clearance to be medically safe to go on placement.

Get in touch with the OH department for your appointment, and your course leader to explain that everything is now in place and see what they say

@Emily_B

You just saved me writing similar points on this and they should had made sure that they chased up things from GP.
Not attending any appointments either not the right way to do things as obviously these appointments are required.

Maybe re-applying for next academic year maybe a option as by then hopefully they will have everything in place that is needed but speaking to the course leader is a start and take it from there I would say x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending