The Student Room Group

Movement towards anti-abortion laws?

http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?051+sum+HB1677

http://democracyforvirginia.typepad.com/democracy_for_virginia/2005/01/legislative_sen.html

Firstly I'm not gonna try and pertend I know anything abot US politics, all I know is who your president is!

Came across this website from another forum and wondered whether these sorts of bills where movements towards anti abotion laws in the state, particularly with the Peterson case ruling.

Just seems like th worst thing in the world for a couple/woman to face after an abortion is that 12 hours later you've got to report the incidence to the police. Wouldnt that just make you feel a million times worse. You'd failed to be able to carry your child and now you have to go to the police, it'd make the feelings that you were bad a million times worse.
Hope not but wouldnt put it past Bush to try to over turn Roe vs Wade.
Reply 2
It seems very beaurocratic (did i spell that right ?) to have to report it to the police within 12 hours. Presumably the police then have to fill in a form. With America's much discussed guns and drugs problems, you'd think the police have better things to do.
Reply 3
Speciez99
Hope not but wouldnt put it past Bush to try to over turn Roe vs Wade.

If Bush could try and overturn the original Constitution he would...to make it say "we the people give almighty power neither to legislature, to the executive nor to the judiciary....but to big buisness" or similar
Reply 4
lessthanthree
I'm disgusted.

I get the feeling the post abortion girls aren't going to get the warmest reception at the police station, either.

I personally would not feel very happy about having to report something so intimate and private..moreover, i'd have the fear of being judged yet again.

moreover, would it not be easier for the doctor to provide a record ? not the police ?
Reply 5
frost105

Firstly I'm not gonna try and pertend I know anything abot US politics, all I know is who your president is!

Came across this website from another forum and wondered whether these sorts of bills where movements towards anti abotion laws in the state, particularly with the Peterson case ruling.

Just seems like th worst thing in the world for a couple/woman to face after an abortion is that 12 hours later you've got to report the incidence to the police. Wouldnt that just make you feel a million times worse. You'd failed to be able to carry your child and now you have to go to the police, it'd make the feelings that you were bad a million times worse.

Frost 105, This is an HB from the state of Virginia. It doesn't apply to abortions, the attending physician takes care of that stuff.

It applies to miscarriage's that happen at home, or anyplace where a physician is not present or available.

Since breaking this law is a misdemeanor, I don't see it as a big deal. Though I think the original 3 days should apply
Douglas
Frost 105, This is an HB from the state of Virginia. It doesn't apply to abortions, the attending physician takes care of that stuff.

It applies to miscarriage's that happen at home, or anyplace where a physician is not present or available.

Since breaking this law is a misdemeanor, I don't see it as a big deal. Though I think the original 3 days should apply

Ok, not too familar with this, but let me get this straight.
If a woman has a miscarriage - one of possibly the most harrowing emotionally traumatic thing that can happen to a woman...she must report it to the police within 12 hours.
That is f*cked up big time
Reply 7
foolfarian
Ok, not too familar with this, but let me get this straight.
If a woman has a miscarriage - one of possibly the most harrowing emotionally traumatic thing that can happen to a woman...she must report it to the police within 12 hours.
That is f*cked up big time

Foolfarian, the woman (mother) is not required to make the report. It can be a funeral director (if there is one), a hospital rep, a doctor (if called) or maybe a preacher etc.
These reporting laws for miscarriages are one of the best ways for police to protect battered women who are too frightened to seek help.
psychic_satori
These reporting laws for miscarriages are one of the best ways for police to protect battered women who are too frightened to seek help.

Haha, so not true.
Most miscarriages don't have a cause, and those that do are generaly genetic (trisomy for example), hormone imbalances, infection, uterus abnormalities, chronic illness. A beating features in so few that it doesn't even warrant thinking about.
If that were the reason you'd end up in a situation like here with Professor Meadow and cot death. Lots of innocent people going to jail.
Reply 10
tkfmbp
If Bush could try and overturn the original Constitution he would...to make it say "we the people give almighty power neither to legislature, to the executive nor to the judiciary....but to big buisness" or similar

I don't think Bush knows there IS a Constitution.
Reply 11
frost105

http://democracyforvirginia.typepad.com/democracy_for_virginia/2005/01/legislative_sen.html

This is about miscarriage, not abortion. Regardless, I don't think a woman's miscarriage is any business of government and hope this proposed piece of legislation is laughed out of the state legislature.
Reply 12
Howard
I don't think Bush knows there IS a Constitution.

its true, and if he does, he certainly doesn't know what its for or how to spell such a big word......my mistake :p:
foolfarian
Haha, so not true.
Most miscarriages don't have a cause, and those that do are generaly genetic (trisomy for example), hormone imbalances, infection, uterus abnormalities, chronic illness. A beating features in so few that it doesn't even warrant thinking about.
If that were the reason you'd end up in a situation like here with Professor Meadow and cot death. Lots of innocent people going to jail.

Most, but not all. If a woman repeatedly has miscarriages without medical reason, then police have the right to be concerned. Besides, it's not as if the police are going to lock up a husband because his wife had a miscarriage, but if a wife has 4 miscarriages and is frequently seen with bruises, etc, there is reason to be concerned and investigate.

Reporting miscarriages to the authorities can also help them identify potential health risks in the environment. If a there is an elevated rate of women having miscarriages, it could be that there is an environmental factor that needs to be investigated by the EPA.
Reply 14
psychic_satori
Most, but not all. If a woman repeatedly has miscarriages without medical reason, then police have the right to be concerned. Besides, it's not as if the police are going to lock up a husband because his wife had a miscarriage, but if a wife has 4 miscarriages and is frequently seen with bruises, etc, there is reason to be concerned and investigate.

Reporting miscarriages to the authorities can also help them identify potential health risks in the environment. If a there is an elevated rate of women having miscarriages, it could be that there is an environmental factor that needs to be investigated by the EPA.

These are very weak arguments IMO. They are almost desperate.
Howard

I never said they were great reasons, but they are reasons. And, most pregnant women favor the legislation, and, frankly, they're the ones really affected by it.
Reply 16
Howard

Satori's arguments are valid. Try to shoot one down.
Statistics on why miscarriages happen, need to be gathered.

Howard........This is about miscarriage, not abortion. Regardless, I don't think a woman's miscarriage is any business of government and hope this proposed piece of legislation is laughed out of the state legislature.

The legislation is currently in effect. The changes are...........from 3 days...To 12 hours. Probably for the reasons that Satori iterated.
Douglas
Satori's arguments are valid. Try to shoot one down.
Statistics on why miscarriages happen, need to be gathered.

The legislation is currently in effect. The changes are...........from 3 days...To 12 hours. Probably for the reasons that Satori iterated.

I think its one of the lamest piece of beurocratic crap I've ever heard. Honestly the odds of a miscarriage being down to domestic abuse are a billion to one. So lets say there were two cases in the entire of the US in one year, the police would have to follow up every miscarriage to check if the woman is bruised. Now im sure some woman do have miscarriages due to car accidents, falls etc, so you have to rule these out...
And if they did, how do you think these guys would feel? 99.9% of them wouldn't have laid a finger on their wife, and would be dealing with the miscarriage themselves.

This is frankly silly. You don't refer all women who wander into A&E to the police, so why do it with miscarriages.
I've just read the proposed bill which says all miscarriages must be reported. THis despite the fact that many miscarriages just seem like heavier than normal periods.

Silliest thing i've heard in some time.

And stats on miscarriage are generally gathered through the hospital and doctors reports. Most women that know they have miscarried will go to the doctors or hospital themselves. You can't force people just to get a bit better standard deviation on your statistics. This is not a police matter whatsoever.

Sartori/douglas i would advise you both look at the lower of those two links at the top of this thread. If you still have the same barmy agreement with the bill after reading through it...
Reply 18
frost105

Last year Bush passed the Law of Abortion being Illegal. The campaign was "Protecting the Rights of the Unborn Child".

Load of crap in my opinion, i'd prefer a few cells to be destroyed than a childs living in an unwanted family without love and possibly abuse.
ToshTrent
Last year Bush passed the Law of Abortion being Illegal. The campaign was "Protecting the Rights of the Unborn Child".

Load of crap in my opinion, i'd prefer a few cells to be destroyed than a childs living in an unwanted family without love and possibly abuse.

First off, Bush does not single-handedly pass laws. The House of Representatives and the Senate vote on the issue, and it can be vetoed by the President.

Secondly, the Unborn Victims of Violence Law, which is what I am assuming you're *actually* intending to discuss, passed through the Senate and House. The law basically says that if a violent crime is committed on a pregnant woman that causes the death of the child she is bearing, it will count as a homicide. This has nothing to do with abortions, which, in fact, are legal.