The Student Room Group

Where can 14 year olds work to make money etc

Hi guys I had a recent job in this shop and I left it due to not really enjoying it as it was quiet with the workers and really me doing everything on my own with no interaction etc and they wouldn’t really fully show me things as well so was boring overall I worked for a total of 10hours and left after as it felt to much. However is there any other places or things I can do to earn money etc I know like dog walking and baby sitter is one and I wouldn’t mind helping in stores if the shop is nearby and staff actually engage with me etc. I’m based in Croydon so if anyone knows anywhere please let me know.
at 14 you should be enjoying your childhood. hang out with friends
Original post by Hailey629
Hi guys I had a recent job in this shop and I left it due to not really enjoying it as it was quiet with the workers and really me doing everything on my own with no interaction etc and they wouldn’t really fully show me things as well so was boring overall I worked for a total of 10hours and left after as it felt to much. However is there any other places or things I can do to earn money etc I know like dog walking and baby sitter is one and I wouldn’t mind helping in stores if the shop is nearby and staff actually engage with me etc. I’m based in Croydon so if anyone knows anywhere please let me know.

You are very lucky you got a job in a shop. Basically no-one will employ a 14 year old as the law around employing someone under 16 means it isn't worth while. All you can do is cash in hand domestic jobs baby sitting, child minding, lawn mowing, car washing etc - none of which you can do during lockdown.
Reply 3
Yes I know but I do other things like tutoring and have free time so why not use it to make my own money to not rely or need my parents money.
Reply 4
Is there any free clubs or things I can do as well anyone that I can attend or do to put onto my cv which can look good for law?

Paper rounds
Dog walking
Clean & washing cars

But right now shouldn't be out due to restrictions of lockdown
Reply 6
I understand this job still goes on now but they didn’t really interact and I would just do the jobs like hovering bringing things from downstairs stacking cards etc and I wouldn’t know how long I would be working for somethings 4 hours no break then go home sometimes 2-3 the next day etc so I felt like I had enough and left even tho I made good money for my age.
Reply 7
Original post by Tracey_W
Paper rounds
Dog walking
Clean & washing cars

But right now shouldn't be out due to restrictions of lockdown

Yes I know so am looking to see if there’s anything for after lockdown etc but my job I only left in mid jan and would you say I could put it onto my cv as I only done 10 hours their?
Yes I know so am looking to see if there’s anything for after lockdown etc but my job I only left in mid jan and would you say I could put it onto my cv as I only done 10 hours their?

It would be an obvious question to ask why you left, and you don't have an acceptable answer unless you lie.
Reply 9
I haven’t lied but they wouldn’t rlly talk to me the guy that was paying me in charge spoke to me the day only when I told him I’m leaving like isn’t that rude not even a hi I’m the morning when I came in. And they wouldn’t really fully show you something they would say for example to restock the shelves they would show me one shelf and things were in boxes etc and I couldn’t find nothing so would be so confused and they get busy so never have time to show me how to do something. They would make me hover the shop whilst it’s open and everyone would be everywhere as it gets busy and yeah it’s like they make me do the things they don’t want to do etc and I would work 4 or 4 and a half hours of work without no break nothing and if I don’t say I gotta go etc they would most likely keep me till the shop closes
Reply 10
It wasn’t really professional as they would just ask me to come in and I wouldn’t know for how long unless I tell them I have to go I told them one time if I can go for 5 and we overran till 6 so yeah I do think I had a reasonable answer. The workers and staff wouldn’t interact with me unless the lady came to show me what to do next like the shop owner who was paying me wouldn’t even bother saying hi or anything when I come in for the morning. They even put me on the till because the lady had to go down and I had not been shown how to even use the till I was standing there no clue then the other guy came and done the till.
(edited 3 years ago)
Is there any free clubs or things I can do as well anyone that I can attend or do to put onto my cv which can look good for law?

You don't need work experience or to attend clubs to get onto a Law degree don't worry, plus you're only 14 so it's really too early to be worrying about it.

One thing that can help is to have good knowledge about current affair so I would say try to read or watch the news a few times a week and follow what's going on, especially anything to do with the law.
Taiwanese sweatshops
It wasn’t really professional as they would just ask me to come in and I wouldn’t know for how long unless I tell them I have to go I told them one time if I can go for 5 and we overran till 6 so yeah I do think I had a reasonable answer. The workers and staff wouldn’t interact with me unless the lady came to show me what to do next like the shop owner who was paying me wouldn’t even bother saying hi or anything when I come in for the morning. They even put me on the till because the lady had to go down and I had not been shown how to even use the till I was standing there no clue then the other guy came and done the till.

^ You can't say ANY of that to new employers though, v unprofessional ^

In honestly I think you'll need to mature your attitude to employment a bit (But you're 14, this is normal tbh) Personally, given you bailed on the job after a day or two, i'd be v hesitant to trust you with a dog/baby, v much roles you can't walk away from or decide are too hard.
Reply 14
I had worked for 4-5 days and I understand where your coming from but I’m told I’m very mature for my age like I don’t do anything bad etc but I was in that week just like on a trial and they asked me if I liked it etc and to let them know if I want to carry on or not and I let them know that I didn’t want to because I had school at the same time and was falling behind due to getting home around 7-6:30 and needing to sleep early as school started at 8
Reply 15
I guess I won’t worry too much unless something pops up as I’m still young and in 2 years I can have a job in like stores thanks everyone for your help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending