sabedama
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Has anyone's school confirmed whether they're taking exams or not? If so, which country?
VanillaCream
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sabedama)
Has anyone's school confirmed whether they're taking exams or not? If so, which country?
mine has confirmed we're having exams in May and I'm from Poland, what about you?
sabedama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by VanillaCream)
mine has confirmed we're having exams in May and I'm from Poland, what about you?
I’m from Egypt. No official confirmation yet, at least not from my school. Although I’ve heard some tutors saying that we are taking the exam route.
IBkidinthecorner
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Lucky! It's not been confirmed yet here in the UK
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
Lucky! It's not been confirmed yet here in the UK
haven't they said it should be cofirmed by 12th February, so the last Friday? they should already have a decision probably
but well, looking at A levels and GCSE in the UK, I'd say it's likely they would decide to take non-examination route in the UK
you'd rather take written exams, right? cause in Poland many people are complaining and writing petitions/letters (both to the IB and media...) to actually cancel them :0
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
haven't they said it should be cofirmed by 12th February, so the last Friday? they should already have a decision probably
but well, looking at A levels and GCSE in the UK, I'd say it's likely they would decide to take non-examination route in the UK
you'd rather take written exams, right? cause in Poland many people are complaining and writing petitions/letters (both to the IB and media...) to actually cancel them :0
The IB have confirmed that they want exams to go ahead in the UK, but their decision must be approved by Ofqual and the Department of Education whose decision is set to come out on the 22nd. I'd rather take written exams, but I agree that it doesn't look great, especially as it hasn't been confirmed that we're returning to physical school on March 8th. Most of my friends want exams to be cancelled anyway though, but I want them to go ahead.
Lana2021
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Name:  5EB06CAA-9FE9-44F6-AA4F-6326A7E4839E.jpeg
Views: 7
Size:  190.4 KB
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
IB exams have been cancelled in the UK
sabedama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by IBkidinthecorner)
IB exams have been cancelled in the UK
just saw!!! In egypt we’re taking the exam-route at this point I mean it is what it is but it’s kind of unfair from a university application point of view. I’ve applied for uni in the UK and it doesn’t really sit well with me that I might have to attend uni with someone who didn’t work as hard as I have (as in study for exams) and who will simply get grades based off IAs and evidence (this isn’t shade btw!!!!). I also understand how it’s not really in anyone’s hands at this point but I just wish that things would be dealt with globally so everyone has the same opportunities
Last edited by sabedama; 1 week ago
ManU2020
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
just saw!!! In egypt we’re taking the exam-route at this point I mean it is what it is but it’s kind of unfair from a university application point of view. I’ve applied for uni in the UK and it doesn’t really sit well with me that I might have to attend uni with someone who didn’t work as hard as I have (as in study for exams) and who will simply get grades based off IAs and evidence (this isn’t shade btw!!!!). I also understand how it’s not really in anyone’s hands at this point but I just wish that things would be dealt with globally so everyone has the same opportunities
But surely if it was dealt with globally it would also be unfair, considering how different countries are at vastly different points right now? Take say New Zealand and compare it to the UK. Would it be fair to not allow those in NZ to sit their exams? Would it be fair to force those in the UK to sit the exams?
Last edited by ManU2020; 1 week ago
VanillaCream
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm actually really happy we're sitting the exams, we had a meeting with our coordinator today and she said that the grade boundaries will be surely lower for people sitting the exams, so if you can study, then it will be more beneficial probably. I don't know how 'good' your school or class are, but our both school and especially our class have really storng students, so it would be very unfair for us as there is this quota according to the previous statistics and e.g. if throughout the last 3 years e.g. 10% of people got 7s in Chem HL (because the students weren't that strong) and in our class there are like 28 people taking Chem, only like 3 of them max could get a 7 and I'm sure there are many more who are capable of it. So yeah, it might be beneficial in a way.
Btw, what subjects are you taking and what did you apply for uni in the UK?
IBkidinthecorner
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I actually really wanted to take exams, so I think you're lucky! I did SL maths a year in advance, so I was in the May 2020 session as well, and that was horrendous. After a lot of protest from students and IB co-ordinators, the IBO decided to award marks based on the IA, but I still feel that sitting the exam would have been way better for me (and in fact I did re-sit the exam in November and got a better mark). I don't think that basing your final mark off the IA is fair or accurate (I know they have our predicted grades as well, but last time they had a clause where you couldn't get a lower grade than what you got for your IA). Also, in the UK we have had a lot of online school (March-June 2020 and January-March 2021). Our summer holidays were July through September, so we've only had about twelve weeks physically at school in the past year, whereas in my home country of New Zealand, my friends only had 9 weeks of online school, so of course they could sit exams and it would have been unfair to them for exams to be cancelled.
sabedama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by ManU2020)
But surely if it was dealt with globally it would also be unfair, considering how different countries are at vastly different points right now? Take say New Zealand and compare it to the UK. Would it be fair to not allow those in NZ to sit their exams? Would it be fair to force those in the UK to sit the exams?
Not disagreeing at all, I completely understand your point of view. For me personally, I just feel that I’ve been put at a disadvantage because we’ve pretty much had the same teaching time as other countries who aren’t taking exams, and there are a lot more cases than the government has announced (it’s quite expensive for people to get tested in egypt and some people don’t get tested at all). Plus we still haven’t had access to the vaccine, which other countries have. I understand that it’s more of a local problem than an IB problem but do you get what I mean in regards to how if things were done more globally or holistically, things would be quite different, especially if for how “fairly” would be graded?
sabedama
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm actually really happy we're sitting the exams, we had a meeting with our coordinator today and she said that the grade boundaries will be surely lower for people sitting the exams, so if you can study, then it will be more beneficial probably. I don't know how 'good' your school or class are, but our both school and especially our class have really storng students, so it would be very unfair for us as there is this quota according to the previous statistics and e.g. if throughout the last 3 years e.g. 10% of people got 7s in Chem HL (because the students weren't that strong) and in our class there are like 28 people taking Chem, only like 3 of them max could get a 7 and I'm sure there are many more who are capable of it. So yeah, it might be beneficial in a way.
Btw, what subjects are you taking and what did you apply for uni in the UK?
Ahhhh see that makes sense. It’s our schools first time offering the IB diploma, so 5/6 of my teachers have never taught IB before. Plus, our teachers who had taught IB before left after our first DP year, so the way we’re being taught now it quite different and there are a lot of blank spaces in what we’ve been taught in our syllabus (last year some teachers skipped over large parts of topics and this year our new teachers are skipping over multiple subunits so it’s mostly self study). My HLs are: English Langlit, Business, and ITGS. My SLs are: Arabic B, Chemistry and Maths AA. I applied for politics/international relations. Have you applied in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (308)
52.56%
No (278)
47.44%

Watched Threads