WHAT LAW IN England and Wales NEED A REFORM?

Watch
proprocatinator
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi, I need to write a review on an area of law that needs reform.
I would like to pick an area within Criminal Law, do you have any suggestions?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
You could do the law surrounding intention? I think when I did an essay on it, the law surrounding it even post Woolin is pretty unclear.
Joleee
Badges: 19
Report 7 months ago
which area? you need to narrow it down.
proprocatinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by Joleee)
which area? you need to narrow it down.
I haven't decided as of yet. I have a genuine interest in criminal law so anything within that.. some examples would be but not limited to: Homicide Act, Criminal Attempts, the defence of insanity ect.

Im just trying to brainstorm some ideas which i can look into to see if I can collect enough research on it to be able to write the dissertation.
proprocatinator
Rep:
?
(Original post by ROTL94)
You could do the law surrounding intention? I think when I did an essay on it, the law surrounding it even post Woolin is pretty unclear
Are you referring to codifying the definition of intention?
ROTL94
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by proprocatinator)
Are you referring to codifying the definition of intention?
Yes.
Joleee
Report 7 months ago
I haven't decided as of yet. I have a genuine interest in criminal law so anything within that.. some examples would be but not limited to: Homicide Act, Criminal Attempts, the defence of insanity ect.

Im just trying to brainstorm some ideas which i can look into to see if I can collect enough research on it to be able to write the dissertation.
i don't know what 'criminal attempts' mean to be honest. but i would say narrow the topic down, then ask for further help. i can't decide the purpose of your paper.
proprocatinator
Rep:
?
i don't know what 'criminal attempts' mean to be honest. but i would say narrow the topic down, then ask for further help. i can't decide the purpose of your paper.
My post indicates that I asked for suggestions on what areas of law others think need a reform. I didn’t ask you to decide the purpose of my paper. 🙂
legalhelp
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi, I need to write a review on an area of law that needs reform.
I would like to pick an area within Criminal Law, do you have any suggestions?
Hi OP. Are you studying law already? If I were you, I would focus on something reasonably practical. It will make it easier to research from open source, non-academic material, and also means you can spend more time thinking about the arguments and less time worrying about whether you have correctly understood a complicated area of law. Some ideas off the top of my head:

- Should the age of criminal responsibility be raised from 10 to, eg, 14?
- Sentencing - pick a crime or a set of crimes (eg property offences), look at the sentencing guidelines, the factors to be taken into account, and the sentencing range. Do you think it’s too high/low? What does that tell you about the value we place as a society on criminalising that conduct?
- Should we broadcast trials, like they do in the US?
- Should we get rid of juries for some/all offences?
- Should juries decide on sentence? (currently decided by the trial judge)
- Should the attorney general - a political appointee - be able to intervene in specific cases, as she did for example in PC Harper’s killers’ unduly lenient sentence hearing?
- Should we decriminalise possession (not supply) of drugs?

If you would rather discuss something more academic, then attempts is a good area to look at. I personally think the “more than merely preparatory” threshold is too low to treat someone as if they had in fact committed the offence. In the same vein, you could look at conspiracy - it’s wooly, complicated, difficult to prove, and allows us to criminalise a potentially unwitting participant in a scheme that doesn’t even need to be successful.
Last edited by legalhelp; 7 months ago
username5173262
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Homicide act. The law commission have been trying to push reforms but have been ignored by Parliament
legalhelp
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Out of interest - have you not been taught criminal attempts in your degree? I didn’t do law at undergraduate level, only postgraduate, so I’m not 100% sure what is covered on a normal LLB criminal module. But I am surprised to hear that might not be part of your programme.
aspiringlawyerNW
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago

You'll produce a far better piece of work if you identify an area yourself, rather than asking for ideas. Have a think about the key principles of criminal law - fair labelling, blameworthiness, proportionality, liability, autonomy, etc. Find a topic which means something to you on some level.
jackmarshal757
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Self defence laws, they are atrocious. A victim could get into more trouble than the perpetrator for defending themselves due to excessive force. Plus the use of pepper spray to defend yourself, should be decriminalised as it currently falls under the firearms act.

Another law would be the more recent 10 year prison sentence implemented for lying about travel. The law is completely ridiculous
legalhelp
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jackmarshal757)
Another law would be the more recent 10 year prison sentence implemented for lying about travel. The law is completely ridiculous
I agree this is madness, but it's not a new law - it's the government shoehorning that behaviour inappropriately into the existing forgery offence, for which the maximum sentence (on indictment) is ten years. Note that's the maximum - if this particular misbehaviour is ever prosecuted, I guarantee you it will be dealt with in the Mags as a summary offence, and penalised with a fine.
jackmarshal757
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by legalhelp)
I agree this is madness, but it's not a new law - it's the government shoehorning that behaviour inappropriately into the existing forgery offence, for which the maximum sentence (on indictment) is ten years. Note that's the maximum - if this particular misbehaviour is ever prosecuted, I guarantee you it will be dealt with in the Mags as a summary offence, and penalised with a fine.
If someone is ever tried then it’ll receive so much backlash and will probably be dropped
legalhelp
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by jackmarshal757)
If someone is ever tried then it’ll receive so much backlash and will probably be dropped
Don't count on it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (5)
4.17%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (19)
15.83%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (21)
17.5%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (15)
12.5%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (37)
30.83%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (23)
19.17%

Watched Threads