Desogestrel contraceptive pill

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I've been on the desogestrel pill for around three years, but I have recently been hearing you are meant to take breaks from it. Is this true? I've only ever not taken it when I forget.

I'm transsexual (female body, male brain) and taking it to stop bleeding, not using it to prevent pregnancy, if that makes any difference.
jlggr4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've been on the desogestrel pill for around three years, but I have recently been hearing you are meant to take breaks from it. Is this true? I've only ever not taken it when I forget.

I'm transsexual (female body, male brain) and taking it to stop bleeding, not using it to prevent pregnancy, if that makes any difference.
Breaks are only to allow for a period (i take breaks every 3-4 months) but i dont think this is essential. i would however speak to a nurse about whether you ever need breaks (i imagine having a period is not the best for you in terms of aligning with your male brain) x
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
I've never heard that you have to take breaks - isn't the whole point of desogestrel that you don't take breaks? I think stopping and starting can be quite disruptive for your body as it has to keep getting used to the additional hormones

How successful is it for you at stopping bleeding? I'm also on it for the same reason but keep getting random periods which make me so depressed
jlggr4
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I've never heard that you have to take breaks - isn't the whole point of desogestrel that you don't take breaks? I think stopping and starting can be quite disruptive for your body as it has to keep getting used to the additional hormones

How successful is it for you at stopping bleeding? I'm also on it for the same reason but keep getting random periods which make me so depressed
Some pills you take breaks, others you don't. I'd speak to your nurse about options to completely stop your period (e.g. other types of birth control) x
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by jlggr4)
Breaks are only to allow for a period (i take breaks every 3-4 months) but i dont think this is essential. i would however speak to a nurse about whether you ever need breaks (i imagine having a period is not the best for you in terms of aligning with your male brain) x
Thanks for the advice
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
(Original post by jlggr4)
Some pills you take breaks, others you don't. I'd speak to your nurse about options to completely stop your period (e.g. other types of birth control) x
Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Following the government's announcement, do you think you will be awarded a fair grade this year?

Yes (463)
51.44%
No (437)
48.56%

Watched Threads