The Student Room Group

Is drama GSCE (Edexcel) a good subject to take?

Hi, I'm new here and I am thinking of taking drama GSCE. What are the pros and cons of this subject?

Thanks for reading 😊

-Etudian
I'm currently in Year 11, doing Drama GCSE, and it's great! Lots of lessons doing practical work, theatre trips (pre-COVID!), and while there are a few essays, it's really nothing compared to English/History. There's some coursework: you have to devise and then perform your own play, which is fun, and then write some essays about the process. I saw this as a positive, because it meant less stress for the actual GCSEs, but it did mean that I was working a lot more for drama than for my other subjects at the time.

The main issue I found was that I worked in a group with my best friends, and we all fell out. Lots of fighting. Very stressful. But, we were the only group in my year with this sort of problem, so assuming you're working in a group of reasonable people, you should be fine.

If you're good at acting and you have experience, or if you're interested in it, go for it. You get to study all about theatre, including lighting, sound, different types of stages, and its all very doable. Whatever you choose, good luck! x
Reply 2
Original post by Estudian
Hi, I'm new here and I am thinking of taking drama GSCE. What are the pros and cons of this subject?

Thanks for reading 😊

-Etudian

Hi, depends on your career do not pick drama if you want to go to university and study, law, medicine, accounting etc universities do not really like students who picked drama for their GCSEs trust me as they would not care if you got a good grade, however if you do not have a scientific, maths career in your mind then go for it but if you want to go to university for a hard course then do not pick it will not help you ok
I didn't take it but I have to say the person above's advice is bs. Accounting and law do not care if you have drama GCSE, if anything perhaps it would be beneficial for law. You have to write essays in GCSE Drama: it's not just acting. As for medicine, GCSE Drama could be a good thing, and I believe really they're looking at stellar GCSE grades, but perhaps in more hard subjects such as triple science, humanities, maybe a language.

At most unis, A levels are the focus, weighted slightly on your GCSE grades. There are not requirements saying you need this subject, this one and this one at GCSE.

Quick Reply

Latest