what causes genetic disorders?

Watch
Theloniouss
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Genetic disorders are complicated.

Anyway, your post #13 suggests you know what caused your specific disorder, so I'm not really sure what this post is about.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
(Original post by Theloniouss)
Genetic disorders are complicated.

Anyway, your post #13 suggests you know what caused your specific disorder, so I'm not really sure what this post is about.
generally what are genetic disorders caused by, I was just wondering if its always the parents fault
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
It's not really ever the parents' "fault" unless they know they have a hereditary genetic condition.

In your case, it seems unlikely this is your parents' fault and is probably unrelated to the fact that they're cousins.
tinygirl96
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
In my case it is pretty hard to explain. I’m the only female in my family who has endometriosis.
Anonymous #1
It's not really ever the parents' "fault" unless they know they have a hereditary genetic condition.

In your case, it seems unlikely this is your parents' fault and is probably unrelated to the fact that they're cousins.
In other cases, for example sickle cell anaemia, the 2 parents can carry the sickle cell trait and then their child can come out with sickle cell anaemia, this is a more serious blood disorder which kills you and you could say the parents are to blame, if they knew they both had the sickle cell trait but you can’t control who you fall in love with.

Why do these conditions even exist?
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Genetic disorders exist because of random mutations in DNA.
debussy_reverie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Genetic problems can happen even when the two parents have no family links and are very different genetically and both very healthy people because they can just happen spontaneously (as another poster said). Sorry that you have suffered from this but looks like you are getting better and stronger x
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I can’t eat normally to this day, still eat 1 meal a day, at most 2 meals a day.
Surely your eating disorder is a bit of confounding factor?

it's their fault in the sense that they agreed to marry their cousin despite knowing that this was associated with a chance their kids might have a genetic condition. it's not their fault in the sense that they can't help having dodgy genes.
Anonymous #1
Surely your eating disorder is a bit of confounding factor?

it's their fault in the sense that they agreed to marry their cousin despite knowing that this was associated with a chance their kids might have a genetic condition. it's not their fault in the sense that they can't help having dodgy genes.
its not an eating disorder its from feeding difficulties as a result of the genetic disorder and the fact that people with my genetic disorder don’t feel hungry that often.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
Except that you are also under an eating disorder service (I remember your old post; I doubt there is more than one user on this site with your diagnosis)
Anonymous #1
Except that you are also under an eating disorder service (I remember your old post; I doubt there is more than one user on this site with your diagnosis)
There are loads of people out there with the same condition.

I thought that user has been banned from the site and I heard that they were discharged from the eating disorder service because they refused treatment and was impossible to get them to engage and they insulted the therapists about their weight.
Anonymous #1
not just pakistan, bangladesh too. How do you know that all people with a genetic disorder are from pakistan?
Samwriters
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
genetic disoders are more about dominant and recessive genes but mutatations are also to blame... reach me for a detailed explanation
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by Samwriters)
genetic disoders are more about dominant and recessive genes but mutatations are also to blame... reach me for a detailed explanation
You know you could just give a detailed explanation in this thread? No reason for OP to message you.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
Yes, two close blood relatives had sex and produced a child.
ROTL94
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
You know you could just give a detailed explanation in this thread? No reason for OP to message you.
You and I both know why he wants to do it in the DMs.
Theloniouss
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by ROTL94)
Yes, two close blood relatives had sex and produced a child.
OP's problem actually seems unrelated to her parents' relationship.

(Original post by ROTL94)
You and I both know why he wants to do it in the DMs.
Hoping to solve OP's problems by introducing some new genes to the family, I presume
Anonymous #2
Report 5 months ago
funny that you know that about them, and also happen to be the same age and from the same background
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you tempted to change your firm university choice on A-level results day?

Yes, I'll try and go to a uni higher up the league tables (34)
29.31%
Yes, there is a uni that I prefer and I'll fit in better (11)
9.48%
No I am happy with my choice (63)
54.31%
I'm using Clearing when I have my exam results (8)
6.9%

Watched Threads