Modulus graphs question

Watch this thread
Rhys_M
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,
I've put the question I'm stuck on (part b) below and the answer - I don't know how to get that can someone please explain.
Thanks!

Name:  783D0D16-2306-4DAB-B198-79C9CFF900D3.jpeg
Views: 15
Size:  35.9 KB
Name:  62E5A144-326E-4777-BC5E-777401D08112.jpeg
Views: 12
Size:  49.6 KB
clareeey
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 year ago
with the function y =f(|x|) for any value of x, the y co-ordinate is the same as the value of the y co-ordinate for modulus of that x

So, for example the y co-ordinate at x=-1 is the same as the y co-ordinate at x=|-1|=1

does that help?
Rhys_M
Rep:
(Original post by clareeey)
with the function y =f(|x|) for any value of x, the y co-ordinate is the same as the value of the y co-ordinate for modulus of that x

So, for example the y co-ordinate at x=-1 is the same as the y co-ordinate at x=|-1|=1

does that help?
But the question doesn't give the cuve's equation so how can I find out what the y-coordinate at x=1 is?
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
But the question doesn't give the cuve's equation so how can I find out what the y-coordinate at x=1 is?
Modules means 'the positive value of' so what does that mean about the parts of the graph below the x-axis?
clareeey
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Rhys_M)
You are giving the answer as a sketch

You have a graph of y=f(x), and you know that all the y values for -ve x are the same as +ve x values in the original function

which is enough information for a sketch
Rhys_M
Rep:
(Original post by clareeey)
You are giving the answer as a sketch

You have a graph of y=f(x), and you know that all the y values for -ve x are the same as +ve x values in the original function

which is enough information for a sketch
Ohhh -x has same y value as +x so you just disregard the (-1,3) and say we know (4,-2) so it must be (-4,-2) as its (|-4|,2).
Thank you so much.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (16)
28.57%
Take a gap year (14)
25%
Resit my exams (9)
16.07%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (7)
12.5%
I don't know yet (7)
12.5%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads