The Student Room Group

Beating Burnout With A Blog (GYG)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shxttah_x
ik lol it might just be me working slowly becos i usually be having breaky whilst doing my lessons but some of them are literally that long and its soo annoying
its on Tuesday and im dreading it

I get what u mean sometimes the lessons are that long they start to drag a bit
Aww I'm sure ur gonna do amazing! :hugs: wishing u all the best hehe
for a 1 hour lesson... i get given 2 hours and half amount of work
i think its becos i didn't spend a lot of time the past few weeks on skl cos i had an interview aswell but it just means im really behind now
same im gonna go on a full revision mode over the half term lol

What is the interview for?

My chemistry teacher always gives us loads of work to submit each lesson I just count it as independent study as even when we were in person she would expect us to do a lot of exam questions out of lessons.

I’m gonna do a little bit of revision, make sure to give yourself a break at some point
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hellllpppp
My lessons are all live which is unfortunate as in the first lockdown being able to do lessons at my own pace worked really well for me but it is good as I get feedback immediately and can always ask for help plus I do snack in them sometimes tho which I would never do in in-person classes. unlike in the first lockdown which is good for some but I personally enjoyed taking them at my own pace.

When doing GCSEs my biggest issue was that I overworked so I am trying to go a walks and look after myself but to be honest leaving the house doesn’t really feel safe anymore so I’m struggling.

Personally when I’m revising i break an hours revision into 4-6 different topics and try to do a little bit of each. This helps as when I get to my mocks it will only be a week since I last covered a topic and in exams you have to quickly switch between topics.

i hav online lessons too... i just make rough bullet points and then later in the day i go over the notes and expand on them... it just helps me concentrate in lessons and then do a review later... if i don't understand something ill watch a youtube video
try doing mini excersices at home if u can't go out... just some stretches will do
this is just what i do and what i think helps me but if u prefer doing that way and it works... i might try it too lol... it's just really important to look after ur mental health and ur physical health... take things slowly, one day at a time and try not to stress urself out
Original post by 𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
I get what u mean sometimes the lessons are that long they start to drag a bit
Aww I'm sure ur gonna do amazing! :hugs: wishing u all the best hehe

aww thank you :biggrin:
Original post by xsowmix
I applied to do medicine. :biggrin:

Ooh good luck one of my friends had an interview for medicine at Southampton said it was really good, have you had an interview yet?
What is the interview for?

My chemistry teacher always gives us loads of work to submit each lesson I just count it as independent study as even when we were in person she would expect us to do a lot of exam questions out of lessons.

I’m gonna do a little bit of revision, make sure to give yourself a break at some point

its a medicine interview... and my first interview eeek
chemistry is actually fine... it's maths that stressed me out we have to a do a full exercise during that lesson with dr frost questions... i have other lessons during that day too so its really annoying becos then i don't have time to go over notes for the other lessons as maths takes up most of the time
Ooh good luck one of my friends had an interview for medicine at Southampton said it was really good, have you had an interview yet?

Yes I had mines on Thursday. It was my last medical school interview thank god. Good to hear that your friend's interview went well. My interview went pretty well as well but only time will tell if I have done enough. :redface:
its a medicine interview... and my first interview eeek
chemistry is actually fine... it's maths that stressed me out we have to a do a full exercise during that lesson with dr frost questions... i have other lessons during that day too so its really annoying becos then i don't have time to go over notes for the other lessons as maths takes up most of the time

Original post by xsowmix
Yes I had mines on Thursday. It was my last medical school interview thank god. Good to hear that your friend's interview went well. My interview went pretty well as well but only time will tell if I have done enough. :redface:

Good luck I don’t know much about med interviews maybe @xsowmix might have some tips for you @shxttah_x
Good luck I don’t know much about med interviews maybe @xsowmix might have some tips for you @shxttah_x

hahahahaha of course me and @shxttah_x know each other already

S (@shxttah_x what's should I call you) do you need anymore tips? :wink:

its okay... good luck for ur application :biggrin:

Original post by xsowmix
hahahahaha of course me and @shxttah_x know each other already

S (@shxttah_x what's should I call you) do you need anymore tips? :wink:

S is fine... well u can't have enough tips lol :biggrin:
I took yesterday off and today I had a lie in so I feel rested and ready to get on with some work :u:

This morning I tidied my desk so I can get on with some work this afternoon!

My plan is to do the AQA chemistry specimen paper 2 so I can tick something off my to do list for the half term :gthumb:

Tags
@𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒 - I think I’ve worked out how to do it :biggrin:
@shxttah_x
(edited 3 years ago)
I took yesterday off and today I had a lie in so I feel rested and ready to get on with some work :u:

This morning I tidied my desk so I can get on with some work this afternoon!

My plan is to do the AQA chemistry specimen paper 2 so I can tick something off my to do list for the half term :gthumb:

Tags
@𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒 - I think I’ve worked out how to do it :biggrin:
@shxttah_x

thats great... i havent done any work at all other than some lesson plan for arabic tutoring
had a bit of a lazy day tbh... im gonna start hardcore tomorrow tho hopefully
ur desk looks so organized
aww i can see the happy panda in the background lol
thats great... i havent done any work at all other than some lesson plan for arabic tutoring
had a bit of a lazy day tbh... im gonna start hardcore tomorrow tho hopefully
ur desk looks so organized
aww i can see the happy panda in the background lol

I try keep my desk tidy all the mess is on my bed which I use as an extension of my desk during the day.
Lazy days are a must especially at the moment so don’t be tough on yourself - a rest might help you be in a more productive mindset tomorrow
How do you prepare for your tutoring sessions? I tutor gcse maths and I normally just start with what I covered at the end the session before or something she wants to cover then I just see where the hour takes us (I should probably get more organised)
I try keep my desk tidy all the mess is on my bed which I use as an extension of my desk during the day.
Lazy days are a must especially at the moment so don’t be tough on yourself - a rest might help you be in a more productive mindset tomorrow
How do you prepare for your tutoring sessions? I tutor gcse maths and I normally just start with what I covered at the end the session before or something she wants to cover then I just see where the hour takes us (I should probably get more organised)

i dnt really hav a desk so the mess is always on my bed lol
true kinda felt like it... helps to have a bit of a window sometimes aswell
i do a rapid fire questions at the start to recap everything in the last lesson... then i make a powerpoint before the lesson and we go through that which is just arabic grammar rules and how to apply them and stuff and at the end i just give them a piece of text for them to translate and then tell them to analyse each word in a sentence and how they know they're right.
i spend too long making powerpoints lol (i can get distracted with the animations and stuff oops) but if i don't make them ik the lesson will be a flop i cant teach without preparing or having some notes lol
how do u just go with the flow? teach me lol it'll save me a lot of time
i dnt really hav a desk so the mess is always on my bed lol
true kinda felt like it... helps to have a bit of a window sometimes aswell
i do a rapid fire questions at the start to recap everything in the last lesson... then i make a powerpoint before the lesson and we go through that which is just arabic grammar rules and how to apply them and stuff and at the end i just give them a piece of text for them to translate and then tell them to analyse each word in a sentence and how they know they're right.
i spend too long making powerpoints lol (i can get distracted with the animations and stuff oops) but if i don't make them ik the lesson will be a flop i cant teach without preparing or having some notes lol
how do u just go with the flow? teach me lol it'll save me a lot of time

I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have a desk to be honest.

I guess it’s easier with maths to go with the flow because the topics all interrelate. I use exam questions as they are retaking so they’ve already been taught the whole syllabus. When issues arise on a different aspect of maths to the one I’m focusing on I note it down, I continue to work on the topic until they understand it then I do one extra question to double check then I move onto the issue that had come up. For example doing transformations —-> vectors —-> division —-> ratios —-> probability, I do this until the cycle ends then do a paper to find new issues.

When I tutored science last year I didn’t have much control as it was in a school and I didn’t know which students would show up each week so I guess I learnt to go with the flow. I didn’t have access to IT so I would do rapid fire questions and then just try and answer questions they had on what they were doing in class. I was new at tutoring and not very good but I feel like I taught them quite a lot about study skills even though I didn’t cover much to do with exam techniques and content.
I don’t know what I’d do if I didn’t have a desk to be honest.

I guess it’s easier with maths to go with the flow because the topics all interrelate. I use exam questions as they are retaking so they’ve already been taught the whole syllabus. When issues arise on a different aspect of maths to the one I’m focusing on I note it down, I continue to work on the topic until they understand it then I do one extra question to double check then I move onto the issue that had come up. For example doing transformations —-> vectors —-> division —-> ratios —-> probability, I do this until the cycle ends then do a paper to find new issues.

When I tutored science last year I didn’t have much control as it was in a school and I didn’t know which students would show up each week so I guess I learnt to go with the flow. I didn’t have access to IT so I would do rapid fire questions and then just try and answer questions they had on what they were doing in class. I was new at tutoring and not very good but I feel like I taught them quite a lot about study skills even though I didn’t cover much to do with exam techniques and content.

ive only started teaching last loackdown so its only been online but hopefully when lockdown ends i want to start doing it in person... it'll teach me how to just go with the flow and i wont depend on powerpoints too much either
Priorities for each subject for half term

biology - make flashcards for the current topic (inheritance) :banana:, make revision posters for control of blood glucose concentration and blood water potential and revise key terminology for all previous content :banana:(flash cards and revision both started but not finished)

maths - revise mechanics especially year 2 content

chemistry - complete at least one paper 2 :banana:

I'm making my way through my to do list and did almost 2hrs seneca for biology this morning which is great but I haven't done ANY maths yet so I'm going start with that this afternoon. I'm also going to do some exam questions for homeostasis so my posters can be more effective revision resources when I get round to making them. Despite having no lessons this week and more free time I'm still struggling to get as much revision done as a want (perhaps I was over optimistic when I came up with my plan).

tags

Spoiler

Priorities for each subject for half term

biology - make flashcards for the current topic (inheritance) :banana:, make revision posters for control of blood glucose concentration and blood water potential and revise key terminology for all previous content :banana:(flash cards and revision both started but not finished)

maths - revise mechanics especially year 2 content

chemistry - complete at least one paper 2 :banana:

I'm making my way through my to do list and did almost 2hrs seneca for biology this morning which is great but I haven't done ANY maths yet so I'm going start with that this afternoon. I'm also going to do some exam questions for homeostasis so my posters can be more effective revision resources when I get round to making them. Despite having no lessons this week and more free time I'm still struggling to get as much revision done as a want (perhaps I was over optimistic when I came up with my plan).

tags

Spoiler

imma start on maths tomorrow hopefully
good luck fot the studying
make sure to relax aswell its still the holidays:biggrin:
Well it’s the end of half term now and I didn’t finish my to do list (oops)
I did some mechanics revision (I still don’t feel ready for my test - I don’t know why but questions on ladders always prove a problem) and finished flash cards for homeostasis instead of doing posters. I’ve got chemistry and maths tomorrow and should have some time to get on with independent study. Hopefully they’ll be some news about returning to college and maybe even something on exams.

Tags

@𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
@shxttah_x
Well it’s the end of half term now and I didn’t finish my to do list (oops)
I did some mechanics revision (I still don’t feel ready for my test - I don’t know why but questions on ladders always prove a problem) and finished flash cards for homeostasis instead of doing posters. I’ve got chemistry and maths tomorrow and should have some time to get on with independent study. Hopefully they’ll be some news about returning to college and maybe even something on exams.

Tags

@𝔸𝕤𝕡𝕖𝕟 𝔸𝕦𝕣𝕖𝕝𝕚𝕒
@shxttah_x

its okay i hardly got anything done aswell lol
good luck for the next term :biggrin:
hopefully... i cant seem to concentrate at home anymore

Quick Reply

Latest